Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW BLASER MAGNUM DATA!! Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mac:

What is the parent case for the Blaser Magnum line of cartridges if you know?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know but have heard inferences that it may be an updated .404 parent. The .375 seems to be a rather lazy load so assuming low pressure on the whole system. Not a bad idea really. If the geometry is refreshed it could be the equivalent of .375 Ruger internals with greater longevity. We'll all know soon enough I guess. I'll be aquiring an R93 in the .375 chambering as I have never cared for the H&H.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Who isn't coming out with a line of redundant cartridges these days?

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing as Norma is producing them, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the "new" Norma magnums featured in the 2009 catalogue, or very similar anyhows.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Blaser magnum line are all based on the .404 parent. The .375 Blaser case is a full 2.8" long whereas the others are all 2.5" case length.

Blaser particulary wanted the .375 to be temperature stable from -50 to + 80 (centigrade that is).

The New norma line are based on the .416 rigby case head size and only the .338 is actually available. the .300 will be out by the end of the month. These are both long range target rounds primarily rather than hunting and chambers (thoat dimentions) reflect this. .338 is designed arround the 300 grn sieera and the .300 around the 240grn.

The Blaser line are at designed as hunting rounds and will shoot 'normal' weight bullets best. (eg in 30 cal will use 180grn Oryx, Barnes TTSX and Nosler)

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
SEE HERE:

Yawn coffee
------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Let's see = a .375 cartridge based on the 404 case. Sounds like something our gracious host thought of a long time ago.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Heath:
The Blaser magnum line are all based on the .404 parent. The .375 Blaser case is a full 2.8" long whereas the others are all 2.5" case length.

[/QUOTE]

That would make the under 375 calibres like the Dakota rounds and the 375 like the 375 RUM. Or are the cases more tapered?

Although the RUMs a few thou bigger than 404 Jeffery.

<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Let's see = a .375 cartridge based on the 404 case. Sounds like something our gracious host thought of a long time ago.

Saeed sure is a great advertisement for the 375 RUM loaded with backed off loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:

Saeed sure is a great advertisement for the 375 RUM loaded with backed off loads.

And Miller and Greiss did a .375/404 Jeffery in Germany in the 1920s, albeit with a less sharp shoulder, than Saeed's, but full length 404 Jeffery case.

Besides this 7mm to .375 line based on the 404 Jeffery (2.5" and 2.8"),
is the next new "line" of Norma cartridges only two cartridges long? A 300 and a .338, based on the Rigby case?
Short (2.5"?) or long (2.9"?) or 2.724" like the .338 Lapua Magnum,
and the 300 Lapua Magnum that exists already, from Lapua?

Only Saeed can divulge the actual specs on his .375/404 Jeffery, and he ain't talking. Everyone associated with it is sworn to secrecy,
even Walter,
whom I think is the mastermind of it all.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Only Saeed can divulge the actual specs on his .375/404 Jeffery, and he ain't talking. Everyone associated with it is sworn to secrecy,
even Walter,
whom I think is the mastermind of it all.

Saeed had a natural interest in the 375 bore size. Then he looked at the 416 Rigby and the 416 Remington. He agreed with everyone that the 416 Rigby could get the velocity with low pressure and no belted case.

So he applied the same thinking to the 375 bore which of course means the 375/404 Imp or the 375 RUM loaded to Rigby principle instead of the high pressure belted 375 H&H

Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The question is, WILL they be avialable in the USA.

There is a problem with someone bringing in ammo with the name 'Blaser' on the box.

I think it is Speer that has the names Blazer and Blaser copywrited or whatever.

This is the reason the 45 Blaser was not brought into the USA by the factory.

At least, that is what I have been told in the past by Blaser personel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Heath:

Blaser particulary wanted the .375 to be temperature stable from -50 to + 80 (centigrade that is).

The New norma line are based on the .416 rigby case head size and only the .338 is actually available. the .300 will be out by the end of the month. These are both long range target rounds primarily rather than hunting and chambers (thoat dimentions) reflect this. .338 is designed arround the 300 grn sieera and the .300 around the 240grn.

The Blaser line are at designed as hunting rounds and will shoot 'normal' weight bullets best. (eg in 30 cal will use 180grn Oryx, Barnes TTSX and Nosler)

Thanks for the straighten up on that Don,its a bit all academic from my view point anyways. Wink Can't see any of them coming my way, other than for my catridge collection.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
SEE HERE:

Yawn coffee
------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

shame Play Nice. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still a Hillbilly fest here totally devoid of any intellectual endeavor ... carry on ... rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike- correct- verry similar to the dakota line. Main differences are to internal case design and chamber. Minimum taper, .530 case head.

rip- norma target rounds are roughly 2.5" and .584 head size.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Mike- correct- verry similar to the dakota line. Main differences are to internal case design and chamber. Minimum taper, .530 case head.

rip- norma target rounds are roughly 2.5" and .584 head size.

.530 case head. As in 375 Ruger or Jeffery with rebated rim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
holycow
.530" case head brass 2.5" and 2.8" is the .375 Ruger Short and Long ... or Newton rides again!Not 404 Jeffery if so.
Please say there is no rebate.

"Target" .584" case head 2.5" is similar to the .423 Dakota-Lapua necked down, eh?

These must be slightly under the max brass spec and measured from actual production brass in your hands?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup- meaured from brass in hand.

.338 Norma available from several makers. Designed to fit a rem 700 action and shoot 300grn Sierra MK bullets - 2750fps from 26" AI barrel.

.338/.375 Blaser- no rebate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many have been wishing for a 2.5" 300/.375 Ruger and 7mm/.375 Ruger.
Blaser and Norma beat Ruger and Hornady to it.

Lessee ... if I can ever get my hands on about 200 pieces of .375 Blaser Magnum brass ...
That could be set up with a 2001 .375 Weatherby throat in a Magnum Mauser and hold 5 down in the box ... could out-do the .375 Weatherby in that configuration.

Handloading it for that platform could easily do .375 RUM factory ballistics, and it could be down loaded to .375/404 Jeffery-Saeed ballistics.

Then, again a ".375 BM" headstamp could be easily hand engraved into a ".395 BM" headstamp ...

Glad I waited for this one. Smiler

<Mike McGuire>
posted
Ron,

So you are rading this Blasers as "375 Ruger" case bodies.

A 2.8 version would be a unique case capacity?

<Mike McGuire>
posted
Ron,

It won't matter how you slice or dice it the 375 Wby/AckImp is the only way to get Saeed's ballistics while the gun can still use 375 H&H ammo.

It is quite interesting or perhaps funny that the bloke who has shot vastly more African stuff than anyone on the forum has a calibre/ballistics that everyone else recommends against Big Grin

Perhaps a 375 AI is the choice as that would at least have a cockney accent Big Grin

The problem with the 375 Wby is it has Roy's Cadillac Eldorado finger prints on it clap Actually I believe he had a Lincoln with the Mark V number plates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ron,

It won't matter how you slice or dice it the 375 Wby/AckImp is the only way to get Saeed's ballistics while the gun can still use 375 H&H ammo.

It is quite interesting or perhaps funny that the bloke who has shot vastly more African stuff than anyone on the forum has a calibre/ballistics that everyone else recommends against Big Grin

Perhaps a 375 AI is the choice as that would at least have a cockney accent Big Grin

The problem with the 375 Wby is it has Roy's Cadillac Eldorado finger prints on it clap Actually I believe he had a Lincoln with the Mark V number plates.

Yeah! That .378 Eldorado Mark V, Biaritz Town Car was a real dog ... no one has matched it yet in 60 years of trying.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I just find it amazing that they have to reinvent the wheel again and again.
When Jeffery made their .280 and .333 on the shortened .404 case, due to the powders of the day they gave even less than the .280 Remington and the .338-06 of today.
What has not changed at all is the regular hunters shootin skills, and the hunting ground ouside of 200 yards are for a very small part of the hunters.
Yet Blaser does this, and Norma went even further with the short cases of the Rigby.
So they give hunters power they do not need and decrease magazine capasity.
Hurray.
I would have found it so mutch more interesting if they necked down the 9,3x66 Sako, or made something on the 10,75x68 case.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ron,

Mike,
There you go again, bringing common sense and practicality back to the fore.

The single best choice in the world is a .375 Weatherby.
thumb

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yup- measured from brass in hand.

.338/.375 Blaser- no rebate.
Don,

I know it has been asked in this thread many times…guess I’m just mentally slow today…but I’m having a bit of trouble reconciling this information.

quote:
…all based on the .404 parent… Minimum taper, .530 case head...338/.375 Blaser-no rebate.
Ok, I can see that the pictures indicate no rebated rim.

Just throwing this out; here are some typical US manufactured cartridge cases dimensions:
• The .404 Jeffery is typically manufactured with 0.540”-0.542” rim diameter (cartridge head/CIP R1) and 0.540”-0.542” body diameter (cartridge body/CIP P1).
• The .375/.416 Ruger is typically manufactured with 0.528”-0.530” rim diameter (cartridge head/CIP R1) and 0.528”-.530” body diameter (cartridge body/CIP P1). And,
• The .375 RUM is typically manufactured with 0.529”-0.531” rim diameter (cartridge head/CIP R1) and 0.544”-0.546” body diameter (cartridge body/CIP P1).

So for clarity sake, could you give use the rim and body diameters rather than solely the case head diameter then we’ll be better able to visualize what the parent cartridge case might have been before Blaser generated the 2.8” basic brass during the forming process.

Thanks Don.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
I just find it amazing that they have to reinvent the wheel again and again.
When Jeffery made their .280 and .333 on the shortened .404 case, due to the powders of the day they gave even less than the .280 Remington and the .338-06 of today.
What has not changed at all is the regular hunters shootin skills, and the hunting ground ouside of 200 yards are for a very small part of the hunters.
Yet Blaser does this, and Norma went even further with the short cases of the Rigby.
So they give hunters power they do not need and decrease magazine capasity.
Hurray.
I would have found it so mutch more interesting if they necked down the 9,3x66 Sako, or made something on the 10,75x68 case.

You are too wise Bent. Thus the eternal 30-06
Cut off the belts off of win mag and HH brass and swage down to .500" for your ideal brass size. Or just zip off the belt to a .516" casehead for the original 350 Rigby. Now there is a long neck nostalgia cart =)
Older than the 375 HH and no belt.

A matching pair of classy bolt actions in 404 Jeffery and 350 Rigby would be an awesome safari pair
Or should it be 416 Rigby and 350 Rigby... Hmmm

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Haha, Boom, I have had a crush on the .350 Rigby for 20 years...
It was loaded as our .35 Whelen of today, and John Taylor wrote that "No man in his right mind could possibly wish for a better medium bore rifle than this for general African hunting."

However, the 10,72x68 measures only 0.48 on the rim AND base, and will actually give one more in magazine, unlike the .350 Rigby size.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually measuring cases in my hand....

All 4 Blaser round...
Rim diamitre .532
Case Head .540

Length
7mm 2,34"
.30 & .338 2.5"
.375 is 2.8"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All 4 Blaser round...
Rim diamitre .532
Case Head .540

Length
7mm 2,34"
.30 & .338 2.5"
.375 is 2.8"

Well excuse me.
These are like slightly rebated 404 Jeffery.
Similar to RUM.

I have no use for them.
We already have the RUMs, SAUMs, and ARs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed - another DOA series of redundant cartridges. Blaser needs to grow the R93 and make them all steel so as to accomodate adult sized rounds ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It would seem that the 7mm Blaser could clean up a 7x57 chamber and is a perfect size for a 98 mauser with its 2.34" brass right?

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:

All 4 Blaser round...
Rim diamitre .532
Case Head .540

Length
7mm 2,34"
.30 & .338 2.5"
.375 is 2.8"
Thanks Don

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
So the 338 is a rebated 338 Dakota

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not quite the same as the dakota. Cases are actually slightly shorter (apparently - I have only seen the .330 dakota case)

There is also a world if difference between what SAAMI or CIP declare are the dimentions and what is actually produced...All Dakota Headstamped brass was made by Norma....

The classic is the .338 Lapua. Lapua made a run of brass, got it approved by CIP and then discovered that the cases wouldn't fit in a standard .416 Rigby shell holder...So they changed and all current .338 Lapua brass does not comply with CIP standards...but you can use a standard shell holder when you are loading...

<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
quote:

All 4 Blaser round...
Rim diamitre .532
Case Head .540

Length
7mm 2,34"
.30 & .338 2.5"
.375 is 2.8"

Well excuse me.
Similar to RUM.

I have no use for them.

Ron,

Does that amount of rebate really matter. Surely if .004" per side counts then all cases will be either rebated or semi rimmed and within the same calibre.

Or are you just saying the same thing is already there with the RUMs, SAUMs and ARs so why bother.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

All 4 Blaser round...
Rim diamitre .532
Case Head .540

Length
7mm 2,34"
.30 & .338 2.5"
.375 is 2.8"

Well excuse me.
Similar to RUM.

I have no use for them.

Ron,

Does that amount of rebate really matter. Surely if .004" per side counts then all cases will be either rebated or semi rimmed and within the same calibre.

Or are you just saying the same thing is already there with the RUMs, SAUMs and ARs so why bother.

Mike,
It is just that they are redundant.
Not anywhere near as unique as the .395 family and 500 Mbogo. Wink

Even the .416 Rigby and .338 Lapua Magnum, as manufactured, may be .004" below max spec diameter in head or rim, and the rim may be .001" below head, comparing diameters again, not radii.

You make the call on the micro-rebated BM's.
Regarding rebates on turds: Always a good thing. sofa

<Mike McGuire>
posted
I like your 375 Lapua.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like your 375 Lapua.

Mike,
After I did that, I discovered that the Germans had beat me to it.

Member 2RECON (Michael) designed it for a fellow German.
Triebel Guntools makes dies for it.
It is also called the 9.5mm Tornado, and some other names: .375/.338 Lapua Magnum.

I want some of those Triebel dies.
Troubles with Triebel contact.
"Trouble with Tribbles" was one of the original "Star Trek" episodes.

I am on a star trek for Triebels.
I'm a Tornado chaser. Wink

2RECON has gone where no man has gone before.
Just following in his wake.

2RECON: Where are you?