THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    My search is over - my newly acquired 11.2x72 Schuler Mauser

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My search is over - my newly acquired 11.2x72 Schuler Mauser Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
My search is over - my newly acquired 11.2x72 Schuler Mauser

Hello All,

I recently purchased an 11mm Johan Peterlongo Mauser at auction, and I was extremely disappointed to find it was actually an 8x57I - and not an 11mm. I sent it back to the auction house for a refund.

I posted several want ads looking to buy an 11.2x72. Well, jgrabow6493, a fellow Forum member on this forum, saw my plea that very same day of my post. He emailed me and generously offered to sell me his 11.2x72 original Schuler that he purchased about 15 years ago. Turns out he was also from Wisconsin. The next day I jumped in the car and drove 5 hours north to meet him. What a wonderful man. I must give a big shout-out THANK YOU to him for passing-on this wonderful treasure.

It is now in its new home here with me. Here is the original ad from when he purchased the rifle. He took very good care of it and its still in the same remarkable condition as when he bought it. The rifle came with RCBS reloading dies, 35 loaded rounds, 12 empty brass, and 475 assorted bullets consisting of 125 Woodleigh, 125 SAF Raptors, and 225 assorted softs and solids.

By the way, jgrabow6493 had an equally nice type B Mauser in 10.75x68 caliber for sale. Which I also purchased.

And, see the link about this one I just purchased. A wonderful all original Johann Peterlongo, also in 11.2x72 Schuler caliber.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/9931060472

As always, your comments are welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very nice looking rifle.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is purtty. No BS beautiful.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
vary nice, congrats!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a stunning rifle. Congrats on your purchase. I'm glad to hear that a fellow member could help you out.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Exquisite! Though it looks light enough to pound you senseless when you shoot it ...

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
Thanks for the reply.

This whole ordeal with the auction house actually ended in my favor. I would never have guessed that I would come to be happy that the first rifle turned out not to be an 11mm and was sent back. I'm so much happier with this one, especially since its an original August Schuler, built by the man who invented the 11.2x72 Schuler cartridge. If anyone has any information about August Schuler and the cartridge, please share.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best article I have read is by Harold Wolfe in hatari times. It was very informative with lots of pictures. If you cant find it on-line, I should be able to copy and mail it to you.
DPCD built me a 11.2x60 shuler a few years back.
Despite the old ballistics, with modern powders and loads, it is easy to match original .404 loads. The case holds only 6 grains less than the .458 brass I make them from.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
The best article I have read is by Harold Wolfe in hatari times. It was very informative with lots of pictures. If you cant find it on-line, I should be able to copy and mail it to you.
Despite the old ballistics, with modern powders and loads, it is easy to match original .404 loads. The case holds only 6 grains less than the .458 brass I make them from.
hello theback40
thanks for the reply.

I would have been happy if the Peterlongo rifle had been an 11.2x60 Schuler. That would have been a good representative of a German Big Bore cartridge. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

And, thanks for the offer. pm sent

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Truly a treasure.

Congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle. Congratulations on such good taste

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
So cool

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
Thanks for the reply.

After doing some diligent research, I was able to acquire a copy of the original ad from when this rifle was first offered for sale many years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats right, although Harald Wolf was very optimistic about the performance of the cartridge 11,2x72 Schüler. The ballistic of the cartridge 404 Jeffery can be duplicated, but the cartridge 11,2x72 Schüler does not come into the performance range of the cartridge 416 Rigby.

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello theback40 ... yes please mail me a copy ... or post .pdf of the pages here.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like it and the condition and caliber are rare.

Posts: 17124 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I like it and the condition and caliber are rare.

Hello dpcdThanks for the reply.

Yes ..me too ... can't wait for the snow to melt so I can test it.

update ... I also found an Original Peterlongo 11.2x72.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I have a question, I am curious. The ad says the bolt is serialied to the gun but no pictures of the bolt or the serial # are presented. My question is regarding the bolt handle; it appears longish compared to other period rifles particularly Mauser factory production. Is it factory original or does anybody think or know if it was replaced, modified or other at some point in it's life. Lovely rifle, the old Mauser's have such panache no matter the end retailer.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:.
So I have a question, I am curious. The ad says the bolt is serialized to the gun but no pictures of the bolt or the serial # are presented. My question is regarding the bolt handle; it appears longish compared to other period rifles particularly Mauser factory production. Is it factory original or does anybody think or know if it was replaced, modified or other at some point in it's life. Lovely rifle, the old Mauser's have such panache no matter the end retailer.
Hello kda55,
Thanks for the reply.

As the ad states, yes, the bolt handle is numbered to the gun. (see updated top photo) This not a "Mauser Factory" production rifle, its an "August Schuler" production Safari rifle, made in Suhl. The "longish" bolt handles were used on the August Schuler Model 34 Pre-War rifles. Similar "longish" bolt handles were also used by Carl Bock / Friedrich Triebel on Vom Hofe Super Express rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting bit of history. Thank you.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
Interesting bit of history. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

see this link about another 11.2x72 caliber rifle I purchased.