New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first BIG BORE! Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
Yes I now have my first real Big Bore rifle. I picked up my new CZ 550 Mag in 416 Rigby. I am excited and a bit unsure. Never felt like this with any of my other rifles!

The photos were taken in a hurried manner & I will post better pictures in the weekend.

New in Box with factory test target and all the bits.

I have got a set of Lyman dies. I have also found 90 rounds of custom loaded ammo in Norma brass with Hornady (I think) (confirmed as woodleigh 410 gr softs) projectiles. I need to pay for it and get my hands on it soon.

Brownells have confirmed shipping the Warne QD rings and a few other bits like case trimmer pilot, shell holder, brushes etc. These are the things that are not restricted for export. The projectiles will have to wait slow delivery after import / export licences are done.

I would have ideally like to own a classic Double in 450/400 but I could not afford one as well as an African Safari. So i started dreaming of a 404 Jeffery. I actually copared this rifle with a custom project 404J which was a beautiful rifle. Afer a lot of thought I went for the CZ 550 mag.

A long standing dream .... fulfilled in part .... until I actually use it successfully on a Safari ......

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

These are good solid rifles. The classic caliber is a great choice too!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see dead hogs and goats in its life. Smiler

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club!

Posts: 1221 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congradulations. getting your first real big bore is a very exciting experience. just shoot it like you would a 12 gauge for the first few shots to get a feel for it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. another fun thing to try is lining up a bunch of logs to see how many it will go through.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
A very good rifle you have there. I have one as well in the same caliber, 416 Rigby. There is no need to be apprehensive. While it will have a bit of recoil, it is not abusive and you'll quickly make friends with the rifle. You've shot much larger so I predict you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy a 416 Rigby is to master.

Congrats on your rifle and hopefully, you'll put it to use on the Continent shortly!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em naki! I just love the Rigby. I have killed everything from Cape Buff to impala with mine. That's a "one rifle safari" rifle.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the adventure.

Hopefully you can get some lighter, flat shooting, hard hitting bullets. The 350 TSX and 350 TTSX are probably the standard to beat. Play around with loads from 2600 fps to 2850fps and see where the accuracy nodes are.

PS: If the accuracy seems to have inconsistent jumps, you may need to bed the rifle. Our last two CZ's in 416Rigby both needed epoxy bedding to tighten up the groups.

As JTEX said, you now have a one-rifle-safari rifle. And sweet to shoot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Damn nice looking rifle! Can't think of a thing that rifle isn't capable of doing...

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Welcome and enjoy in good health!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa here we come!

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good choice.
Torque the action screws to 60 to 65 inch pounds, and see how the trigger feels.
In that Kevlar stock if it shoots well as a drop-in,
leave it like it is.
You will have to try it with a scope at 100 yards.
Full bedding job if it is not as accurate as you like.
The factory target is OK, but you can do better. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everybody for all the help and encouragement.

Does anyone know if the factory target is with open sights or with a scope?

I am getting Warne QD mounts for my Leupold 1-4X scope. I might get a new illuminated reticle scope later. I am also installing NECG ghost ring & brass post sights.

I am absolutely convinced that I made the right choice, though the 404J was very tempting with all the reloading bits, ghost ring sight, English walnut stock etc.

Yes Sam, now we just need to make plans for end of year - Zim with the new trophy fees for buffalo or Mozambique or any other option?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My final bigbore rifle I used in Africa was a CZ550 in 416Rigby. I had the barrel cut to 21" and an early Brockman dropin laminate put on. Front ramp is a NECG with adjustable fiber optic. Used it since I cut the barrel to 21" and wished to keep the factory rear. Worked beautifully on my last Elephant in Zimbabwe. Excellant rifle and caliber. Scope is a Swarovski 1-4 in CZ rings. Bolt handle has been straightened. I hat that little kink they put in it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new thumper Sir, and a belated Thank-you for the 9.3X62 info that you sent me many months ago.
I found it most usefull.

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I took the rifle out of the Kevlar stock and saw the the magazine box is stamped "375 H&H". is this normal or have they made a mistake?

The second point is - under the barrel lug that has a recess for adding another part - this is blank and does not match the parts exploded diagram on the manual. Is this normal for the Kevlar stocked rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,
I assume the CZ factory targets are iron sights at 50 meters.
Don't know for sure.

The rest:

quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I took the rifle out of the Kevlar stock and saw the the magazine box is stamped "375 H&H". is this normal or have they made a mistake?

It is as usual/normal, not a mistake. The two box varieties are marked either "458 WM" or "375 H&H."
Same box except the 458 box is left smooth-sided, and the 375 box has ribs stamped into the sides of the box to reduce the internal width.
Whatever works best in your rifle is the one to have, depending on the feed job status, etc.
Sometimes switching from a 375 to a 458 box will allow 4 down in the box instead of only 3 in .416 Rigby.
How well it feeds is also a determining factor. Here is a 375 H&H box that has been reinforced at the front:

The second point is - under the barrel lug that has a recess for adding another part - this is blank and does not match the parts exploded diagram on the manual. Is this normal for the Kevlar stocked rifle?

That is usual too. The drop-away, loose "F-Block" steel and sliding ferrule through the wood in the wooden forearm are not needed in the Kevlar stock which has a metal endoskeleton in the forearm too. The remnant barrel lug left after discarding the loose pieces can be left free floating or full contact bedded out to that point.
You need to shoot it and see if you are going to need to bed it.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks a tonne RIP. You have been most helpful as always!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new gun. I had a CZ550 in .458 Win. and really liked it. At the time I bought it the store had one in .416 Rigby setting next too it. Maybe if I had bought the .416 instead of the .458, I would not have sold it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter:

Think about reinforcing the front of the sheetmetal box, or at least filling in with epoxy between box front and magazine well.
that prevents the front of the box from getting dimples from battering of bullet tips in recoil.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

RIP, Thanks for that tip. I can do that in a few ways (I am not a skilled man but manage with some DIY). I could either epoxy or screw in an aluminium piece. I could build that up with Bisonite (epoxy & steel bedding kit). I could get a pannel shop friend to braise on a piece of seel.

Wayne from AHR has been very helpful with slicking up the bolt. I am making improvements step by step.

I now need to find out how to remove the foresight assembly so that I can put on the Gentry barrel band sling stud. I am wondering if I heat the barrel band with a hair drier and slip it on with a spot of epoxy, it would cool down and shrink fit to the barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes - i have paid for the ammo and some projectiles. They should arrive on Monday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goodonya Mate, We all look forward to reports on the first firing. wave

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naki,

Good for you. The 416 Rigby is a bit underappreciated as an all-around caliber IMO. I found that IMR 7828SSC to be a very good powder for 400 grain bullets in my gun (Ruger). Concentrate on your shooting for and stance and learn the “push-pull” technique of handling recoil and she will serve you well. I found it very easy to reload and I have loads for 400 and 350 grain bullets that shoot one (big) ragged hole at 100 yards. Good scope choice too, good luck, keep us posted.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Paul's advice is a good place to start. However, IMR7828 is a bit slow for tapping the full potential of the 416Rigby. One may safely start there, or with H4831, but something like R-17 may be useful later.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, and welcome to the club. I load 7828SSC/RL22 in my Rigby, and have found them to be interchangeable in this cartridge. I, personally, have never felt the need to tap the "full potential" of the Rigby. If I'd wanted a Weatherby, I would have bought one! 2400fps with a 500 grain pill will do the job for sure, with low pressures, easy extraction, and manageable recoil.
Let us know when you start to consider this rifle your medium bore. That's when you'll know you've got it bad for big bores!

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ashok. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures with it. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle. I feel the .416 is the best all around caliber one can buy.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ndorobo1:
Very nice rifle. I feel the .416 is the best all around caliber one can buy.

And the handloaded 416 Rigby is the best of the 416's, including the traditional controlled-round-feeding used in most 416 Rigbys.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your first, but probably not your last!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The ammo arrived today - 90 rounds of custom loaded with Hornady RN (Interlokt?) Woodleigh 410gr SN . I am going to use these for practice. They cost me $4 a pop which is less than I can buy new Norma brass for!!! Also got 416 cal 350 gr TSX projectiles. I now need to get some CEB #13 solids and non-con HPs.

Now here is my humble battery!

Any guesses???

One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Wild guess: 22LR; 222rem; 6.5x55; 308win; some 300magnum; 9.3x62; 9.3x57 and 416 Rigby !!

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
50% - just pass mark!

Any one else want to guess?

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
22 LR

222 Rem

6.5 Carcano

308 Win

30-06 Ackley

9.3 something?

9.3 something?

416 Rigby

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
OK

22LR
222Rem
6.5x55
7-08
280 AI (the picture gives a collapsed shoulder, so it's hard to read.
8mm-06
9.3x57
416 RIGBY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Tyler Kemp - 44% - fail! (including partial guess) shame

416Tanzan - 63% (BTW - the 280 ackley shoulder is perfect. it is the lighting & shadow. That one is only neck sized on a bushing die)

A couple of hints - my old posts will betray my passion for certain older rifles and cartridges! You get them right and the rest are easy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
COngratulations Ashok. Looking forward to some field stories of the 416. Smiler

Warm regards

One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Another guess: 22LR; 222rem; 6.5x54; 7mm-08; 280 AI; 9.3x62; 9.3x57 and 416 Rigby popcorn

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You score an "A" with 88%!

The 7th round is my 9.5X57 MS - or 375 MS. I used to own a Hasquvarna 9.3X57 long ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Ingvar J. Kristjansson:
Another guess: 22LR; 222rem; 6.5x54; 7mm-08; 280 AI; 9.3x62; 9.3x57 and 416 Rigby popcorn

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I got to shoot my rifle on saturday.

I had planned to use open sights while I waited for the Warne QD rings to arrive from the US. I had called grant my pal with a farmlet to shoot on his property.

As I was loading up my car I saw a package delivered at my door. Sure enough it was the rings and other things I ordered from Brownells. So I quickly mounted a 1-4X Leupold on the rifle and went to the range.

After quickly bore-sighting it, I tried it at 25 meters. It was still 3 to 4 inches off the bull both in windage & height. After adjusting I move to 50 meters and found that I had missed the paper! Came back to 25 meters and saw that I had moved the adjustment the wrong way & increased the error.

Finally I got it right at 50 meters. 2 bullets in one hole and one flinched to the right by 6 inches.

Totally I fired 18 round and found the recoil manageable. It pushes right back and straight. There is very little upward movement of the rifle on recoil. We watched some videos of my shooting that my son took on his mobile phone. My shoulder is not sore the next day & I am actually looking forward to shooting the rifle more often.

I am absolutely thrilled with the rifle!

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, you've got yourself a real rifle. Anything on the planet.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+