THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    the original 404 jeffery (the 400 version) bringing it back to its original specs
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the original 404 jeffery (the 400 version) bringing it back to its original specs Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
Hey boom,
Either you bring back the original with .408's and rebated rim, or you make a brand new wildcat. Can't make a cat and call it original, just because it recembles. But the cat is a good one, by all means. cheers

wellllll you have a point there but i think it needs a little tinkering. i dont like rebates nor do guns

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Boom,
When you get a reamer made let me know.

the great thing is reamers are already there...

just grind off the rim and regrind the front.

Boom

Why don't you build it? You spend so much time here dreaming of work for others, why not buld it yourself?

Alf

Very interesting pictures and discovery.thumb Any more info on the rifle? A Rigby? I wonder why a Rigby?

Similiar to the original 600NE that would appear to have been made 3 years before Jeffery records indicate.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could 45 acp bullets be swaged down to use in a .423" .404 Jeffery?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
So ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The 10.75x73 Nitro Express,, should become what length????? And use what diameter bullet???Is it supposed to become a 450/400 but in a bolt rifle or will it use .423 bullets.......Why hasn,t anyone glaumed onto the 10.75x68 any way.... When was It invented... Now that brass is available for it... I would like to get an original Mauser and see if it will jam on me.......Boom ,, I think you should side step the 470 and build the 395.... The 395 Belted Scout Cartridge......Barring that,, the 395 RUSTICK

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
mickey 1

i would love to...

i have a few rifle irons in the fire i have to finish first thumb

i have thought about this idea over the holiday and thought there is no reason to give it a rebate unless you are trying to save money on a bolt face mod. giving it a .532 vs .544 (there is reeeeely no point in going under .532) is only 12 thou ond not worth quibbling over and anyone who might build one can either do a rebate trying to go with the spirit of the "original d.g. bolt gun" or not to enhance rock solid feeding. the issue over neck length is negligable too. it is the diff. of a 375 h+h action or a 416 rigby length action though and a matter of prefference.

to me the main issues are using the original case/ case shape and bullet dia. if someone wants to do a rigby length one and a rebate...go for it and good onya thumb

i would have to call my version the 400 jeffery s.i. (slightly improved Big Grin)

i could live with a slight rebate but "i" would limit the length of brass to 2.85" to keep it in a smaller action.

so a handfull of hours on a lathe for a lifetime of brass

use a slightly altered 450/400 reamer

use a 375 h+h or a rigby length action

a new barrel and the usual tinkerings and you will have the original d.g. bolt gun and a heck of a versitile one at that.

now that we found out it is an actual historical cart (thank you alf!) it is no longer a wildcat but a snooty monocular pith helmet wearin' honest to goodness throwback to the dark continent days cartridge Big Grin

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
can anyone spare a 450/400 case so i can make a dummy round to post? i will be happy to reimburse the cost.. wave

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

here is my photoshop version of an unrebated 2.85" version or 400 jeffery rimless rebateless Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

so i went to bed early and i woke up early...i was up at 5am just sitting there in bed and my thoughts wandered to the 400 jeffery. i had an epiphany about making the brass or in other words a
homer homer homer homer homer homer homer homer D'OH! moment...

actualy several small D'OH's...

yes turning a few hundred 450/400 cases can be burdensome...to ease this i think the best way and help me if i am wrong is to take stamped or prefferably unstamped 375 rum brass, expand to 416 or 423, do the fl sizing die of the 450/400 and either trim at 2.85" or shoot it till the brass stretches enough to 2.9"ish or the desired length. this will only work for those who would want the rebate and easy cheap good strong brass. the hornady 450/400 brass could be used for hunting overseas where headstamp issues apply.

soooooooooo the longer version could be made by rebarreling a 550 cz with a 532 boltface and the 2.85" can be done on any cheaper used ultra mag action ect.

this should satisfy the extended pinky crowd as well as the hillbilly bolt trash.

any thoughts?

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Boom, to much pondering! Wink

Man, if I vere to make this, I would make it as practical as possibly. Forget original measurements - the original has a rebate almost as bad as the .425WR, and is unnessesary long anyway.

I'd go with the .411 bullet, since that is your wish, but also because the bullet selection is so much better for the velosity this cartridge will give.

So, trim off that rim with no rebate. Shorten it so much that you can use a RUM length action, you will still have an almost caliber neck.
This means grinding of reamer, die-set can be used as it is, but you might have to trim the inside of the neck, because of the larger diameter bullet.

No free lunch, but what is? thumb

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Like I said, let me know when they are ready.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A stupid question perhaps and totally off topic. I read above of cutting extractor grooves, removing rims etc etc... on an existing case ... that's fair enough. In custom rifles we alter magazine boxes or fit aftermarket boxes, we alter receivers and feed rails, open bolt faces, modify extractors etc etc ... so why why why is it so damn impossible to built a bolt rifle that will reliably feed a rimmed case????? Mad The Brits and US once mass produced them (No4 Enfield and P14s) ... the M98 could in the Siamese Mausers.
So why cant someone build a 450/400 bolt gun?? What voodoo makes the rimmed case such an engineering hoodoo in rifles?
Cheers...
Con
PS: Sorry for the rant ... found another nice M17, this time in 444Marlin, that wont feed for squids.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it would be a bolt action 450/400 and that is part of the charm...

But it is not a 450/400 bolt action. If it was then you would be able to load the magazine and chamber and fire 450/400 rounds.

Mike

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
a few months back i made a 68 mm 404 jeffe dummy round and liked it...the idea has been done before but i thought of it independently...

with that looooong neck you can do a 2.65" or 68mm version (short neck but do-able) a 2.85" version and with a 416 550 cz the 2.9ish version soooo you can have this cart work on all three size actions! the 2.9" version on the cz will recoil like a 4 year olds best shot Big Grin

obviously the 2.85" version would be the best and easiest.

another easy way to form is just use 404 brass and the 450/400 fl dies to get the non rebated version without the lathe work. maybe just restamp the last 4 into a 0

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Like I said, let me know when they are ready.

it just takes money...the idea is good. use a seperate neck throat reamer and ream to the desired depth.

if you are inclined you could be the first with me chearing you on cheers

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sorry, not for me.

All I need to de is neck down the 404 Jeffery to .408, .410 and I'm there. But then you already have the 404 Dakota, right?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
rusty...

the charms of the 400 jeffe rimless would be the bolt action, the slick feeding, the 411/410 bullets(read cheap pistol bullets) and the 400 jeffe nostalgia...

the 404 dakota is cool in its own right but i like this'n

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

above is the 450/400 3 1/4" (top) and 3"...

thanks to tomo577 for a couple pieces of brass thumb the 3 1/4 jeffe has a shoulder

that is further back and is ideal for either a 2.65" version or a 2.5" version with a sub cal neck.

i found the specs for the jeffe3" above finaly Big Grin

so both cases fill a purpose to make a form of the 400 jeffery bolt action clap

i'll post pics of the 450/400 3 1/4-2.65" dummy round version soon.

the rim thickness diff. is huge.