THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    the original 404 jeffery (the 400 version) bringing it back to its original specs
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the original 404 jeffery (the 400 version) bringing it back to its original specs Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
what if...

what if it had a shorter neck (but still over a cal length neck)
the shoulder moved forward a tad...
the same shallow sloping easy feeding shoulder...
a diameter bullet that had a matching pistol bullet...

404 center 450/400 far left.

if you take the soon to be hornady 450/400 jeffery and cut an extractor grove and an identical rim/casehead, trim at 2.85" you have a....

400 jeffery!

nostalgia, all the good feeding qualities of the 404 and the most versitile safari gun. 400 gr premium bullets for d.g. and mid to lightweight pistol bullets for plainsgame and plinking banana

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Schuler (in Germany) used to make an improved version of the 404 Jeffery in the 1930's.

It must have been a rare bird because I've never seen a single cartridge in anyone's collection (although I've seen the ad from German trade magazines from that period).

But, it was the same bullet diameter as the standard cartridge too.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
404 Dakota? 416 Howell?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
fla...

wellllllll

this would be the same length as the original. (the 2.65" version would be less than a cal neck i believe)

non proprietery and have the use of pistol bullets with slick feeding and a nice herritage to boot

hornady/ruger are you listening Big Grin

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fine idea Boom Stick! cheers

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
thanks bfj...

it seems you can apreciate a 450/400 bolt action that can spit out nostalgia, take out the big 5 AND be a 300 yard plainsgame rifle thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
hornady/ruger are you listening Big Grin

Will never happen. In the event that Hornady, Federal, etc., ever choose to load .404 Jeffery, the target market will be the existing rifles, which is a much larger market than would be the case with a new one off. That also means that they'll be careful to load it to CIP spec so that their export market is protected. Since the .404 is standardized by CIP, it is illegal to sell ammo in that caliber that is not CIP spec in most CIP member countries. The days of SAAMI and CIP ignoring each other are gone. Loaded to CIP spec, they can sell it anywhere, but they can't if they fiddle with it.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
yeah i know they wont do it but it could be one hell of a versitile big bore...

a 400 jeffery would be cool as heck imho

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I think the .404 Jeffery already is a cool round -- what am I missing here? I think they are pretty versatile if you hand load.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the 404 is awesome...a fave of mine (that i dont own yet) but with existing brass (altered granted) and the wide variety of weights of the 411 bore...its kinda neet i think

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=878663

these speer 210 gr gold dot should be great or the lighter but solid barnes xpb

One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
What is the second case from the left? Were there any benefits to having such long necks on cartridges?

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KennethI:
What is the second case from the left? Were there any benefits to having such long necks on cartridges?

Here is the original caption from the African Hunter article:

Left to Right: .450/.400 Jeffery, .450/.400 3¼", .404 Jeffery, .470, .458 Win. Mag.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That round is the 450/400 3 1/4 inch round.
This started life as a Black Powder round, and later converted to Cordite.

The 450/400 3 inch has always been a Nitro round.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
what if...

what if it had a shorter neck (but still over a cal length neck)
the shoulder moved forward a tad...
the same shallow sloping easy feeding shoulder...
a diameter bullet that had a matching pistol bullet...

Then it would be the .400 Tembo.

The pic below appears to be a 450-400, not a .404:

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
grains...

if you read the thread you would see that i am talking about altering the 450/400 case...

if you cut off the rim and add extractor grove and trim at 2.85 you have a 400 jeffery...

alf...it does not need to be loaded beyond 400@ 2200 0r 2300...the pistol bullets could be loaded faster cuzz the lighter weight at the same moderate preasure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
grains...

if you read the thread you would see that i am talking about altering the 450/400 case...

if you cut off the rim and add extractor grove and trim at 2.85 you have a 400 jeffery...

Why would you do that? It would be easier to start with the .404 jeff case.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
wellllll...

it would be a bolt action 450/400 and that is part of the charm...

also the shoulder would be forward more...

a just over cal neck...

use the original 450/400 reamer (shortened and rim cut off) and dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
you mean i just re invented the original 404! dancing

damn it now one reeeeeeely needs to be made!

the original d.g. bolt gun! who knew (besides alf and casey)

awesome post alf! cheers
you know you want one Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,
You have now come full circle and independently reinvented the wheel. Seems indeed that would be the prototype for the first ever bolt action DGR to serve man.

Now might I suggest you move on to actually build something? Like maybe a new .395? Let's not throw the baby out with the wash.

Gerard Schultz should be thought of as the father of this caliber, as he will be the first to produce something tangible that is related to this idea: .395 caliber GSC bullets.

Many people have toyed with the idea for years, but none have been brave enough to do it until now.

Thanks, Gerard Schultz. cheers

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
rip, its not a mater of want but can...

i will finish the 470 a.r. soon rip.

if i could i would have a safe full of standerd and wildcat guns...

i think we have enough support here to do a group project 395 on the ruger case.

back on to the subject...

alf! can you send me pics of the ammo you speak of??? i would love to post it here. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Boomstick:

The Cartridge pictures unfortunately are in word format and I do not know how to get it to a format that is supported by Picture programs, otherwise I would have posted them.
I have a picture of the headstamp as well as the actual cartridge.

This evening I will post the dimensions of the original cartridge

If you email the Word files I will see if I can extract the .jpeg files and post them.

My email address is in my profile.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
worst case scenario is to print it and scan it. it would be good to see the article here...pics and words.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone say "400 H&H ????

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
nooooo! Mad

the original bolt dgr gun!

the 400 jeffery!!!!

dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
soooo...

imho the new oldschool 400 jeffery should be the same rim and casehead and 2.85"

what say the peanut gallery?

so it was cordite that gave birth to the 423 cal bewildered

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
some of the beauty of this cart is...

bolt gun with 3 or 4 down,

headstamped brass

6 hours on the lathe for a lifetime supply of brass

old school nostalgia

verrrry versitile with the pistol bullets

easy to alter reamer and dies

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who makes .408 diameter pistol bullets?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Who makes .408 diameter pistol bullets?

o.k. Roll Eyes

"i" would use the 411 and use 410 pistol bullets Razzer

408-411 virtualy the same...now THAT is splitting hairs moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If .408 and .411 are virtually the same, then why does shooting a .411 bullet in a .408 double rifle risk ruining it?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would use 411 rifle bullets and 410 pistol in a 411 rifle not a 408 ect there is no need for 408 imho

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
This thread is almost quite amuzing.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Boom,
When you get a reamer made let me know.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the "original" .404 use .411 bullets? If not how would this be taking it back to its original specs?

Why not just build a .404 to current CIP specs and get a .22 for plinking?

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Hey boom,
Either you bring back the original with .408's and rebated rim, or you make a brand new wildcat. Can't make a cat and call it original, just because it recembles. But the cat is a good one, by all means. cheers

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Boom,
When you get a reamer made let me know.

the great thing is reamers are already there...

just grind off the rim and regrind the front.