Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see a fair amount of discussion about Weatherby cartridges but I don't see much discussion about Weatherby actions or rifles. Is there much interest or any concensus regarding the Mark V in big bore config?

Posts: 244 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are not very popular with the African hunting crowd.

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
If you like them then they work great. If you look hard enough you will find fault with just about any factory gun. I have had 378 and 460 and have a 510 Wells on a MKV. I am not hunting in Africa for a living and like the push feed action. Many people use them with no issues. Haters of Weatherby seem quite vocal.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "controlled round feed" issue is big among those that imagine themselves having to fend off herds of charging Buffalo and Elephant at every turn in the two-track. For the rest of us, the Weatherby is an ultra-strong action capable of handling just about any large cartridge one could imagine.

Posts: 20155 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

I have to agree! I dont see how guys like Herb Klein, and Elgin Gates survived without a CRF action. Glad they did.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MTWoodsman

I have a couple 378's a 460, 270 and a 257 and I really enjoy my Mark V. They have never givin me any problems. I would not hesitate to take them to Africa as long as you use a premium bullet. In fact I will be taking one of the 378's to Alaska after brown bear.

They are my second favorite rifles manufactures after the Remington model 700. But a good old Winchester Model 70 is hard to beat.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've taken my 340 WBY twice for plains game. 225 TSX at 3000fps works on just about anything you need it to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several and love them. I had a crf lot that was miss named it should have been called a controlled round jam. I am however thinking about retiring my 416 wby dgr and trying out a CZ in 505 gibbs.I have always tried to hunt with one rifle but I think I may start taking my 378 for pg and a 505 for bigger stuff. I got rid of the double because for some reason doubles just feel odd to me when I shoot them.

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Weatherby, thought about it, but some of the negatives put forth over the years are that the nine interrupted thread lock up/bolt often times does not have all nine touching?? This may or may not be a problem, but I don't recall any Weatherby blowing up or having headspace problems, so go figure. Other item touted is not liking the "Hollywood" style stock/shape. That's a personal issue but will say have seen some with outstanding appearing wood. Fit and finish is of high quality for factory product. Others have stated that the trigger/safety set up is a pain in the rear. Have not seen any TV programs about the Weatherby trigger/safety as with the Rem. 700.
Trigger/safety issues are often "operator error" related I think. I don't think their accuracy policy of 1.5"@100yds is anything to brag about, but it is a hunting rifle, not a match/competetion rifle. If you shold miss your target/game with a Weatherby it is most likely the trigger pullers fault, not the rifle.
Now that I have given this subject such deep thought and consideration, believe I will just go ahead and buy me one and hope I never have to depend on the controlled round feed feature. I should be OK I think.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've had two Weatherby's that were complete POS. One was a 30-378 and the other a .340. Both had issues right out of the box and were returned to Weatherby. I received a complete run around from them with the usual carosel job. Nothing wrong with this gun! I'm old fashioned if you screw me I wont ever do business with you again. Dumped both POS's and never bought another Weatherby and never will.
I also never cared for an action where about 2/9 of the locking lugs actually make contact. They also have that Bling and Glitter look that just proclaims Ghetto dweller wannabe in most African Hunting camps.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, come on now, open up and tell us how you REALLY feel!!! :-)

Posts: 20155 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
I've had two Weatherby's that were complete POS. One was a 30-378 and the other a .340. Both had issues right out of the box and were returned to Weatherby. I received a complete run around from them with the usual carosel job. Nothing wrong with this gun! I'm old fashioned if you screw me I wont ever do business with you again. Dumped both POS's and never bought another Weatherby and never will.
I also never cared for an action where about 2/9 of the locking lugs actually make contact. They also have that Bling and Glitter look that just proclaims Ghetto dweller wannabe in most African Hunting camps.-Rob

Yeah I don't blame a guy for spreading the bad word if you get bent. I do just that for Remington, as they gave me the run around. I have not much good to say about Winchester either. Will have to check out the new ones now though.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I've had 11 Mark V's over the past 5 decades in just about every Weatherby caliber except .270. Never once had a problem with any of them when rain turned to ice to sub zero weather in the Adirondacs or in the heat of Zimbabwe. All were sub-moa with factory ammo and easy to handload.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
They are not very popular with the African hunting crowd.

They are with this member of the crowd.

I bought one (in LH) about 17 (maybe more) years now in .416 and had it rebuilt into a 500 about a decade ago.

I've lost count years ago of how many safaris it's been on, how many shots it's fired or how many animals it's killed.

It's never let me down, is strong as hell and works like it's on silk runners.

The rifle looks like shit nowadays but I love it to bits and wouldn't part with it for the world. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently own 10 Weatherby rifles in various calibers from 240 to 416. They all shoot very well and I have never had a problem with any of these or a few I owned and sold. I used a 30-378 in africa for all kinds of plains game with no problem. I shot my brown bear in Alaska at 7 yds with a 338-378 in freezing rain and it worked like a charm.

Posts: 891 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None better than a Weatherby. Try a Weatherby Accumark. Three trips to South Africa. Shot nothing but a .300 and a .340 Weatherby. Thirty-six trophies on the walls. Going back at least one more time. May have to take a .458 Lock, in a Ruger, for dangers game.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Here is the rest of the story. I bought the .30-378 when they first came out. Right out of the box it shot 6 inch groups at 50 yrds. The muzzle brake that came with it showed evidence of bullet strikes but the crown looked good.They probably did all their threading on a drill press in those days! Removing the brake im proved the groups to 3 inches at 50 yrds. Obviously something wasn't right and after cleaning it, I noticed my patches seemed looser at the muzzle. Sure enough when measured with Pin gauges, the muzzle of this gun was funneled starting about 8 inches from the muzzle. I wrote Weatherby a letter about this and asked for a new barrel. I contacted them by phone explained the problem and got a shipping order to return it to them.
I sneakily stamped the barrel on the bottom with a "S" so that I could tell if it was replaced.
UPS came and got it and about a month later I got the gun back with a letter saying they had replaced the barrel and a NEW TARGET showing a 100 yrd, 1 inch group with my newly Barreled gun. Seems like Weatherby decided they liked my "S" on the barrel and added it to their replacement. NOT.
Yup, my original barrel was still on the gun. I called the revered head Gunsmith at weatherby and after refering to my complaint number asked how they had managed to shoot such a fine group with a gun with a damaged barrel. He told me all their barrels had an S on them and the reason i had issues, was I obviously could not shoot. I then taught him some new Cus words he clearly had never heard before! I can be pretty inventive that way!
I dumped that Weatherby POS and will never have a thing to do with them again. I know that some folks have had good experiences with their guns, but I for one want nothing to do with them.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Winchester in 375H&H that sounds like Rob's 30-378. It was a stainless Mod 70 and half the rifling was flush with the grooves. I had the barrel replaced and cured that.

Posts: 891 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I almost never leave on a serious hunt without one. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7147 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Glad this came up as I have been thinking hard about just this subject.

My father in law is a Maine lumberjack with several thousand acres of timber and a shooting bench on his back porch (see, it pays to marry well!!) He has several Weatherby rifles and has offered to GIVE me his Weatherby .375H&H if I will use it in Africa. As a Mainer, he is concerned with the weather (of course!) so all of his rifles are stainless steel with black synthetic stocks. Now, for myself, I can't think of an uglier gun but it works well and has killed many bear, deer, moose, et. al. The .375 H&H has a straight pull stock, not the high monte carlo standard Weatherby style, with a peep sight.

As I live in the UK, it will take a bit of paperwork to bring the gun over so I only want to do it once. My thought has been to maybe get a Ruger#1H in 450/400 for Africa and use his Weatherby in the states. Or maybe I should be just bring over the .375 and get on with it, ugly stock or not.

Thoughts??

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When did we stop being Mainiacs and become Mainers?
If the Weatherby is free,why not do both? I know nothing about the process, so forgive my simple question.

Posts: 244 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MtWoodson:
When did we stop being Mainiacs and become Mainers?
If the Weatherby is free,why not do both? I know nothing about the process, so forgive my simple question.

Maybe I should have said "Maine-ahh" like my father in law calls it ;-)

Rules here in the UK are tough. You have to prove that you NEED the gun, not just want it. So, having a .375 and a 450/400 fill the same need (in their eyes) so you don't need both :-(

I'm probably going to bring over the .375 as it is a more versitile gun.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

one of us
posted Hide Post
BwanaCole So here's my next silly question. How do you "prove" that you need an elephant gun?

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Thats not actually too hard. Just need to provide a paid deposit for a safari. That being said, when I brought the subject up with my local firearms officer he said,"yeah, okay, you can have the gun but no ammunition. You don't need here it in the UK."

"Uhhhh. Actually, I do. Standing in front of a Cape Buffalo is not the place to shoot your big bore for the first time. You need LOTS and LOTS of practice with it before you get to Africa.", I replied.

"Hmmm, okay, so you could have maybe sixty rounds on hand. Solids, no expanding ammunition."

"WHAT?! Really?? Are you kidding me? You would authorize me solids here in the UK but no expanding? WHat is that about?..."

"Sorry mate, its the law. I know, the law is an ass, but its still the law."

It has something to do with the caliber. Crazy, I know, but have to live with it. :-/

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I've been handling my mates Winchester M70 Super Grade in .458 Winchester Magnum. He brought it with him when he left South Africa, having previously belonged to a PH who used it as his back up rifle. It has accounted for 11 Elephant and a number of Buffalo. So, guess what?...It's a push feed.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of exabit
posted Hide Post
I've had three Mark V's and been happy with all of them. One of them had only two out of nine locking lugs in contact (just like Rob experienced) but the gunsmith fixed that. I don't know what the two others were like cause I never bothered. All of these guns (340, 416, 460) shot really really good so I never bothered to do any "troubleshooting". I built the 340 starting with only an action so that's why the gunsmith got involved who told me about the lugs issue.

Maybe it tells you something that I currently don't own a single Weatherby rifle? Big Grin But I sure don't hesitate on getting one in the future.

/ Rikard

Posts: 209 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robgunbuilder---I can understand that a company could release to the market a product that was not up to par, but if you did what you said you did then the company should replace the product. Also reading your long explaination I can also see that you are a constant complainer, one of those who can never be satisfied. I have to agree with several others and the rep. from Weatherby that you are a wannabee shooter , but can't hit the side of a barn door at 3 feet.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ztreh:
Robgunbuilder---I can understand that a company could release to the market a product that was not up to par, but if you did what you said you did then the company should replace the product. Also reading your long explaination I can also see that you are a constant complainer, one of those who can never be satisfied. I have to agree with several others and the rep. from Weatherby that you are a wannabee shooter , but can't hit the side of a barn door at 3 feet.

You're kidding, right? bewildered

Rob can shoot accurately and quickly, and a medium-bore pipsqueak like the .30-.378Wby. would not present much of an obstacle to a fellow who shoots .50BMGs for fun, and invented the .600 Overkill and .700RLG cartridges.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exabit:
I've had three Mark V's and been happy with all of them. One of them had only two out of nine locking lugs in contact (just like Rob experienced) but the gunsmith fixed that. I don't know what the two others were like cause I never bothered. All of these guns (340, 416, 460) shot really really good so I never bothered to do any "troubleshooting". I built the 340 starting with only an action so that's why the gunsmith got involved who told me about the lugs issue.

Maybe it tells you something that I currently don't own a single Weatherby rifle? Big Grin But I sure don't hesitate on getting one in the future.

My nephew had a lug failure on 340 Weatherby so the issue concerns me.

BTW Charles Newton built multiple locking lug rifles long before Roy Weatherby.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

heck just looking at Rob's bullet testing-- I can see he shoots a bunch! He is obviously qualified to judge on a manufacturer or rifle because of his experience in shooting them and about every other rifle and caliber in existance!

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen Rob shoot. Hope your comment was tongue in cheek.

Blake

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ztreh- Big talk from an asshole. Let's have a shooting contest 100 yards offhand closes to the bull. 1000 US dollars per shot. Let's use Scoped 460 wbys although open sights are fine with me, incase you can't shoot a scoped rifle. You got the balls asshole?Since you insulted me, I get to pick the place for the duel. Nice range here in LV to make you eat your words shithead. We can video tape so everyone can see what an expert you are. After all I'm just a neophyte, you can beat me. Tell yourself over and over again you can. Maybe your right! Just bring alot of money it's LV right! You have actually shot a big bore before right? I've got the bucks and the 460 bet all you've got is a big mouth and no brains. Got any balls and money asshole? Be looking for your next post. Don't think you'll like me anymore. -Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ztreh- Big talk from an asshole. Let's have a shooting contest 100 yards offhand closes to the bull. 1000 US dollars per shot. Let's use 460 wbys! You got the balls asshole? Nice range here in LV to make you eat your words shithead. I've got the bucks and the 460 bet all you've got is a big mouth and no brains. Got any balls and money asshole?-Rob

Now that is what I call putting your own money where your mouth is.

Ztreh
I would take up that challenge if I was you since you made the
statement in the first place otherwise I think people can rightly
say you are all talk and no action.

So, step up to the plate for your chance at batting glory or
forever be known as someone who doesn't even get a chance to strike out.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to agree with several others and the rep. from Weatherby that you are a wannabee shooter , but can't hit the side of a barn door at 3 feet.

I must have missed the posts of "those several others and the rep. from Weatherby" to which you refer.

Rob and I may disagree about Weatherby rifles (perhaps the only thing about which we do disagree) but he has the knowledge and experience to back up what he says. I've been to his home and seen many of his toys. He's the real deal.

And he makes good dinner company.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on this forum for very long and haven't interacted with Rob but once and ztreh, never. But even from a new guy's perspective, ztreh, your insult was uncalled for. Don't you think so?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ztreh seems to have gone very quiet.

Must be very cold where he is causing severe shrinkage of the balls or he doesn't have any.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
My guess is Ztreh is really one of our old Troll buddies who got run off the site awhile back. Trolls usually pop up and spout crap, get wacked and disappear for awhile. He's probably just some pathetic clown. From what I've seen they're all the same. Call em out and they disappear. I prefer the ones who whine, proclaim their innocence, then die. I think we got Ztreh pegged.-Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess is Ztreh is really one of our old Troll buddies who got run off the site awhile back. Trolls usually pop up and spout crap, get wacked and disappear for awhile. He's probably just some pathetic clown. From what I've seen they're all the same. Call em out and they disappear. I prefer the ones who whine, proclaim their innocence, then die. I think we got Ztreh pegged.-Rob

Could it be Scott S by any chance ?

Who was the other bozo that was running under 2 names at the same time
a while back ? Was that also Scott S ?
I think it was on the Soroka7 Thread.

I think he might have diggin himself in a bit too deep on this one !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one Alaskan model in 300 WBY. Rifle shot well, or maybe that was me.

I did not have it for long...perhaps if I had waited just a bit longer, something negative would have occurred...of course, I could have also saved it for my grandchildren, and told them the story of the world record Zedonk I took with it.

Who the hell really knows... old

Respects,

Phill

Posts: 166 | Location: Murrieta, California, United States | Registered: 29 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Rob bagged a world record Ztreh... salute

Respects,

Phill

Posts: 166 | Location: Murrieta, California, United States | Registered: 29 July 2011Reply With Quote