New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby? Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For some reason I seem to recall this: Big Grin

"Fools charge in where angels fear to tread".

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 849 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Note to bozos. Rob wins!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
Ztreh- Big talk from an asshole. Let's have a shooting contest 100 yards offhand closes to the bull. 1000 US dollars per shot. Let's use Scoped 460 wbys although open sights are fine with me, incase you can't shoot a scoped rifle. You got the balls asshole?Since you insulted me, I get to pick the place for the duel. Nice range here in LV to make you eat your words shithead. We can video tape so everyone can see what an expert you are. After all I'm just a neophyte, you can beat me. Tell yourself over and over again you can. Maybe your right! Just bring alot of money it's LV right! You have actually shot a big bore before right? I've got the bucks and the 460 bet all you've got is a big mouth and no brains. Got any balls and money asshole? Be looking for your next post. Don't think you'll like me anymore. -Rob

Rob:

I have been a bit under the weather but I would like to take you up on you offer. I can't afford a thousand bucks a shot but how about best 3 out of 5, loser buys dinner. I know I am going to get my ass kicked but I want to meet you and Mrs. Rob and see your gun collection and I have never, ever been to Vegas. Oh yea, no video or posting of the target on AR. This going to be humiliating enough Smiler

I have a 340 Weatherby Accumark on order. I hope I have better luck than you did.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ztreh:
Robgunbuilder---I can understand that a company could release to the market a product that was not up to par, but if you did what you said you did then the company should replace the product. Also reading your long explaination I can also see that you are a constant complainer, one of those who can never be satisfied. I have to agree with several others and the rep. from Weatherby that you are a wannabee shooter , but can't hit the side of a barn door at 3 feet.

You are talking out of your ass. Rob is one of the most knowledgable firearm experts that I have ever met. His workshop would make the most capable gunsmith envious. He has three Hawes CNC machines and can perform any gun smithing task that is possible. His firearm collection is the most extensive I have ever seen and he is an expert shot with Rifle, pistol and full auto. Would love to see you man up to the challenge.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ztreh- Big talk from an asshole. Let's have a shooting contest 100 yards offhand closes to the bull. 1000 US dollars per shot. Let's use Scoped 460 wbys although open sights are fine with me, incase you can't shoot a scoped rifle. You got the balls asshole?Since you insulted me, I get to pick the place for the duel. Nice range here in LV to make you eat your words shithead. We can video tape so everyone can see what an expert you are. After all I'm just a neophyte, you can beat me. Tell yourself over and over again you can. Maybe your right! Just bring alot of money it's LV right! You have actually shot a big bore before right? I've got the bucks and the 460 bet all you've got is a big mouth and no brains. Got any balls and money asshole? Be looking for your next post. Don't think you'll like me anymore. -Rob

RObgunbuilder 2012

One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn, you guys are tough. I'm glad I'm a sissy. I had 3 weatherbys. I don't like the tapered thin barrels. Shoot fine for 2 shots and then the groups start to open up. I wish they made a heavier barrel setup. Pretty guns.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
Yeah some of the old ones had pretty skinny barrels. Could be an issue. Although last trip to the range with my Ultra light 338-06 turned in a sub MOA group. Only 3 shots but it was my first try with a new powder too. She wants to shoot.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments on weatherby.

Mine is a german made 257 weatherby with beautiful mesquite wood stock that Robert L. Scott gave my father in early 1960's. It has the best trigger of any bolt action rifle I have ever owned, with no gun smithing.

It was first ctg I reloaded for and for a long time I thought all ctg cases had to be inside neck reamed!

Interesting comment from McMillan when i was testing one of their 50's about ten years ago. They did not like working on wetherbys, as lapping all the locking lugs was a pain and made it difficult to get sub one inch groups.

I have kept mine for sentimental reasons. It has killed everything from bison to crows and coyotes. 100 grain nosler partitions mostly.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Wby fans should try putting a little dye-chem on their bolt locking lugs and see just how many show any engagement. You won't be pleased with the results. One of mine showed just two lugs engaging, the rest went along for the ride. That does effect accuracy and it would be the very last action I'd choose to build a target gun on. However, with that said for a hunting rifle that kind of accuracy isn't needed.
If your a ZTREH and reload, you'll probably need all those locking lugs intact to keep the bolt from blasting through your skull.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Weatherbys since the 70s and before me there have been LOTS of big profile hunters who've hunted the world over and many times over at that with every Weatherby caliber and to my knowledge, there's never been any issues with bolts and skulls.

Further with today's internet access, I am sure the "Google Search" would have yielded certainly a story or two about "skulls and bolts", or at least a fraction of the THOUSANDS generated by that POS 700 and glued on bolt handles, flimsy extractors and of course that lovely fail-on-fire safety. Add to that the WDS (Weatherby derangement syndrome)I am sure would not have let a SINGLE incident of "bolts and skulls" go by unoticed.

Please don't anybody misunderstand what I am saying (or not), I have no doubt the issues some of you attest to as being accurate, but I contend that if they were that prevalent, we'd be overrun with " I told you so's" jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I picked up my new .340 Weatherby Accumark yesterday. I looked it over carefully and it is a very nice rifle. My dealer had bore sighted it so, this morning, I cleaned the barrel and headed out to the range to put it on paper. I had loaded up ten rounds with 78 grains of Ramshot HUNTER and a 225 grain Hornday Spire Point which is four grains under max to just get it shooting. I hung a target at 25 meters and walked back to the bench. I was all alone at the range and I have to confess that Rob's warning about the bolt blowing back through my brain kept running through my my mind Eeker First shot was dead center but two inches low. I thought, "well, this is going to be easy." I adjusted the scope up. Up some more.. More, still and finally at one inch below center at 25 meters, I ran out of elevation. I took it back to my gun guy and we are going to have to put a shim under the front scope mount. I'll keep you posted. I will say the rifle seems to be very accurate with the 225 grain Hornady bullets.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, try it first at 100 meters. If the bore is 1 1/2" below line of sight, and it's hitting 1" low at 25, it has climbed 1/2" in height in 25 yards (or meters). It could wind up being 2" high at 100, which would be about perfect.

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Biebs, you have to get it right on at 25 meters and then, it will be 2-3 inches high at 100. The shim is a simple fix.

I sure like the rifle but you were right, it is a bit on the heavy side and the 26 inch barrel makes is a bit cumbersome. If I was doing a bunch of walking, I would grab my .338 RCM but the Weatheby does indeed pack a punch.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave Bush,
You meant a shim under the REAR scope base? That will make it shoot higher.
Shimming the front would make it shoot lower.

My first "Alaskan Rifle" was the 1985 Weatherby Mark V "Fibermark" in 340 Weatherby.
It had a light 26" barrel that would shoot 1.5 MOA with factory ammo, really fast stuff.
Went to Kodiak in 1986, and that rifle slew deer and shooed brown bear out of my tent one moonless night, just fine.
No bolt through my brain either.

That was the first factory rifle produced with a synthetic stock, and back then it was a McMillan with black wrinkle paint.

Nowadays you get the B&C with aluminum bedding block and fluted stainless barrel?

I have a couple of Mark V ultralightweights in 270 Win. and .338-06, and neither one of those has put a bolt through my skull either.

I still have a 30-378 Mark V, but got rid of that 460 Wby before it put a bolt through my brain. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave, what scope and mounts are you using? I had the same thing happen to me with my CZ using a Leupold scope and mounts. Switched to Talley mounts and a Trijicon scope and it solved the problem. I still don't understand that one instance as I have several Leupolds with no issues whatsoever.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

I am using Leupold bases and rings. Maybe that is the problem. I will try the shim and see how it works. If it doesn't work, I may try some Weatherby bases and rings. You were right. That 340 Weatherby is a really neat caliber.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Rip- Do you think anyone would notice if the bolt went thru your brain? Your wife probably would appreciate the " SILENCE" and lack of Whining. Oh Honey I just gotta have a NEW Weatherby. Oh please, please pretty please.I'll do anything for a new Weatherby! That means ANYTHING!!!!! ANYTHING!!!! dancing
Just Teasing you! Could not help myself! I know you know how to reload just fine. I'll bet those little Wby locking lugs will unzip first in a major overload though. I've never seen it but heard stories thats how they go.

Dave- Those Leupold bases and rings are probably designed for a rifle thats square and with level action rings. You need the cock-eyed pair from WBy thats adjustable for tweaked receivers. Just check the box on your warranty card under "screwed receiver, need Special rings and bases". In a few months you'll get charged for them and they might or might not appear in the mail. Only Then will you achieve their world class accuracy std at 25 yrds. If that doesn't correct the problem, you can always fix it with a MIG welder, a level, a Dremel tool and some cold blue. Its a wby after all none of this will effect its resale value. -Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to interrupt and interject myself but, I just can't help it. I have owned a couple of Weatherbys. I don't mind push feed rifles, mainly own Remington's in the 24" heavy barrel configurationsor the Senderos. Love wood stocks but they are too short for me so they mostly get restocked. Take my push feed actions to Africa and they work just fine. Had a PH ask me if my Remington would chamber a round while it was upside down.??? He was touting the CRF of the Winchester. So I tried it, yes, it will chamber a round upside down. WHY???? ANYWAY. The Mark V's are pretty rifles, nice bluing, shiny wood (which I don't like) but they don't offer heavy or heavier barrels and the thin tapered barrels just won't hold their accuracy after 2 or 3 rounds. Makes it really hard to work up a handload for them and the 1 1/2" groups just aren't satisfactory. My Rem 700 in a .416 will shoot .6" groups @100 yards with my 350 gr and 400 gr handloads. Have owned a .416 rem and a .375 H & H in a Winchester Mod 70. Ugliest barrels I have ever seen. I could shoot my .416 20 rounds and spend the next 4 days trying to get the copper out of the barrel. The .375 wasn't quite as bad but they were hard enough to maintain that I had the barrels lapped to try and smooth them up, when that didn't work, they now belong to someone else. And if a company doesn't offer any better customer service than what it sounds like Weatherby has, They don't need your money. Just My .02

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rip- Do you think anyone would notice if the bolt went thru your brain? Your wife probably would appreciate the " SILENCE" and lack of Whining. Oh Honey I just gotta have a NEW Weatherby. Oh please, please pretty please.I'll do anything for a new Weatherby! That means ANYTHING!!!!! ANYTHING!!!! dancing
Just Teasing you! Could not help myself! I know you know how to reload just fine. I'll bet those little Wby locking lugs will unzip first in a major overload though. I've never seen it but heard stories thats how they go.

Dave- Those Leupold bases and rings are probably designed for a rifle thats square and with level action rings. You need the cock-eyed pair from WBy thats adjustable for tweaked receivers. Just check the box on your warranty card under "screwed receiver, need Special rings and bases". In a few months you'll get charged for them and they might or might not appear in the mail. Only Then will you achieve their world class accuracy std at 25 yrds. If that doesn't correct the problem, you can always fix it with a MIG welder, a level, a Dremel tool and some cold blue. Its a wby after all none of this will effect its resale value. -Rob

Rob:

I had a chance to look it over and it appears to be a pretty well put together rifle. From what I see so far, I am pretty sure I can find a load that will shoot under an inch at 100 yards. I am anxious to see how it does with the 225 grain Triple Shocks. Hang with me a bit and I will get it shooting. I have to say that I really like the 340 Weatherby cartridge.

RIP, you are right. The shim needs to go under the rear base.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I liked the 340 also till I figured out that a .338 Rum would outrun it with ease. My .340 wby would not shoot under 2" at 100 yards no matter what I fed it because it had a barrel with tight and loose spots( all in the wrong places). It went bye Bye. It's too bad because it was a nice looking left hand gun.-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
I just had to correct the shimming proposed.
While I was at it I could not resist yanking your chain.
You are turning into quite the curmudgeon. Very funny. animal
No, my wife would not notice the silence by Weatherby bolt through brain, because I do not whine to her about wanting Weatherby rifles anymore.
I pretty much got over the Weatherby affliction in 1992 when I parted with the 460, as a trade in on a BRNO ZKK 602 .375 H&H, with a custom walnut stock.
I got over walnut stocks too, and that rifle became the .510 JAB with a McMillan stock.

I back slid into a 270 Winchester Mark V Ultra Lightweight because it only weighed 5.75 pounds,
and the downsized Mark V action was exciting.
Smaller bolt might do less damage when it passed through my brain.
Thus I might be able to appreciate the experience more, fully savor it.
Ditto the .338-06.

I got over the 340 Wby too, but I keep that old 1985 Fibermark for sentimental and historical reasons.
Weatherby was first with factory original synthetic stocks, and they were McMillan.

I also got over the .338 RUM for many reasons,
but not because that shortened RUM case can beat a 340 Wby, it won't.
Much prefer the .338 Lapua, either my bugholer Dakota Longbow for precision, or a CZ 550 Mag with a light 23" stainless barrel for walkabout.

I do have a .257 Wby Ruger M77, and a 300 Wby Remington 700, and three .375 Wby rifles, Winchester M70, CZ 550 Mag, and a Whitworth Mark X.

I really do not prefer a Wby MK V action,
but it is exciting to use one of the four I have on hand, now and then, just for the thrill,
cheating death every time I shoot them.
I do not even wear a shooting helmet. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a few Win70's that had one lug to touch and the other barely touched. I have 11 Weatherby rifles now in various calibers and all shoot extremely well. I just shot a three shot group with my 257Wby with its pencil thin barrel that measured .290" and a month ago with a different bullet it shot .2". I just finished working up a load with 150gr TSX's in my 270Wby that has a factory #1 contour barrel and shot back to back .458" and .625" groups. I have a 30-378 that I have shot groups as small as .098". My 378Wby and 416Wby will both shoot under an inch at 100yds with TSX's and Swift A-Frames. I must just be lucky to get the good ones.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
General comment on Weatherby's-Every once in awhile even a blind squirrel can find a nut.-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks like Weatherbys and they have done well over the years and at one time were the most cherished of rifles as I recall..I have no problem with anyone using or liking them but the rifle itself is not my cup of tea.

One, I don't care for the stock design or any other design with a hump on the comb, but thats personal..At one time I put dye on several of Weatherbys 9 locking lugs and notice that only about half of them came in contact, even after firing several failed to make contact so it seems that it would be very hard to make all nine contact at the same instant?? bothersome but I have never seen a Wby blow up and they seem to have proven themselves strong as any other actions..

Now to the nitty gritty..Folks can post as the wish and are welcome to opinnions but I would not own an non-controlled feed DG rifle, in fact my only non-control feed rifles are varmint or target rifles..

Control feeding gives me a feeling of security for one, it has been fruitful over the years, but most of all I have not lost shot opertunities on game with control feed rifles, and I have had rounds fall out of the magazines of old Rugers and Rem 700s as I chased after game working the bolt and this happened on several ocassions and I closed the bolt only to get a loud "click" when I pulled the trigger, in one instance it cost me a record book elk! A couple of near misses on a running herds of buff, but I did get another round up and going on the buffs. Live and learn, so I don't use non-control feed rifles, ever!..

However,I have no problem with anyone doing so. I just take mild issue with those that disagree with me on this subject! coffee I suppose that's OK isn't it! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42129 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Rob:

I thought you would get a chuckle out of this. As I posted before, I just picked up a new 340 Weatherby Accurmark. I thought the fit and finish of the rifle was great so we mounted a 4x12 Redfield on it and took to the range. I just couldn't get enough elevation so back to my gun guy. When I picked up the rifle again, he said he had to put several pieces of shim stock under the rear scope mount to get it right...lolol According to my gun guy, he has seen this type of problem a number to times before with Weatherby Rifle.

I got it fixed up and now it is shooting great but you were right. Weatherbys sometimes have issues Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
General comment on Weatherby's-Every once in awhile even a blind squirrel can find a nut.-Rob

I must play the Lotto then as I'm seven-for-seven with all of my Weatherbys when it comes to accuracy and quality of craftsmanship...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Jorge- I most steadfastly agree that a Weatherby driven into the ground at just the right angle makes a most excellent TENT PEG, suitable for even the most elegant of hunting camps. Can't beat em for versatility!
Accuracy and Quality of Craftsmanship? HUH? dancing -Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave:
How high are the rings you are using? Also, check the specs on your scope and determine how much vertical adjustment the model you selected has. It may be a combination of things. A scope using a very high ring is often near impossible to get zeroed at 25 yards. When we shot metallic silhouettes we used ultra high mounts that were not close at 25 yards. That theory "on at 25 on at 100" is ok for scopes mounted low but seldom works if the scope is mounted high. I would be more inclined to question the base than the rifle receiver but I don't hate Weatherby rifles.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Winchesters with shims under one or the other scope base. None of my Weatherbys have needed shims.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Maybe pictures will help those with the written word and misuse of the possesive case...
257 Weatherby Ultramark:

340 Accumark

340Lazermark:

And another one just to drive the Tent Peg a little further in...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I must be one of the lucky ones as well. I currently own only 1 Weatherby, a 340. However, I was instrumental in the purchase of 7 others by 4 friends of mine. 3, 340's, 3, 300's, and one 30/06. I mounted the scopes on all of them and worked up the initial loads for all of them as well, using TSX bullets (225gr on the 340's and 180's on the 300's and 30/06).

I never had a problem with any of them and my friends that currently own them have never had anything but praise for them. I've hunted Colorado, Alaska, and RSA with mine. I've been in the field with my friends while hunting with all these other rifles I speak of as well. 2 in RSA, and all the others in Texas, Alaska and Colorado.

Granted, the MK-V is not traditional. It also isn't a bench rest quality target rifle. But from a hunting standpoint, they do a fine job as far as I'm concerned. I doubt I will ever part with mine. It's my go to rifle for Elk.

Somewhere in my future is a 257 WBY. It's really the only .25 cal, or as Michael458 would say, "rat rifle", that holds any interest for me.

Guys like Rob have more experience with the technical aspects of firearms than I. Because of that, I would not dispute his opinion on Weatherbys. I don't know how many of the nine lugs on my rifle engage when the bolt is closed. But I do know that the rifle goes bang every time I pull the trigger, something I can't say about my CZ. I know that with my specific load, the rifle will shoot clover leafs at 100 yards if I do my part. For me, that's enough for a hunting rifle!

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Jorge- pse shoot a 10 shoot group with your Wby without a long cool down period between shots. Pse post pics. that's the way we evaluate accuracy, not three shot groups. pse also show a 200 and 400 yrd group.
my 257 will do the same for 3 shots but not for 5 or 10. there is a reason why Wby only guarantees a 1.5 inch group for 3 shots! -No offense, but just about any run of the mill Rem 700 can equal or exceed those groups.In fact I have a .257 Wby that I built on a Rem 700 that will shoot in the .2s for 5 shots all day long. way better than the stock Wby .257 rifle.Thats my kind of accuracy!-Rob

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Rob, you have to give it up. As Ed indicated, any production rifle can have issues and Weatherbys are certainly not immune but most of us with current production Weatherbys are not encountering the problems you that you did. Mine seems to have an excellent barrel and it a good shooter. I really like the 340. It's a fine gun.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.5 inch groups are fine in my book; though I would take your .2 inch groups from the Remmy as well. On the other hand, I see no practical reason to subject my Weatherby to a 10 shot string without a cooldown. Between my 338 RUM Sendero and my 300 Wby, if I was forced to choose, I would keep the Weatherby. That being said, I prefer to keep them both Smiler

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
If your happy with Wby that's fine. Maybe, they have improved. I still don't think much of them and would never by another one. I like many of their cartridges, I just don't think highly of their guns and/or repair service. This is a simple difference of opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinions.
The real value of this site is that a reader can get a balanced opinion from those that actually own a particular gun and then decide if they want to buy one. -Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. It sure would be boring if we all agreed on one brand anyways. Wink

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jorge- pse shoot a 10 shoot group with your Wby without a long cool down period between shots. Pse post pics. that's the way we evaluate accuracy, not three shot groups. pse also show a 200 and 400 yrd group.
my 257 will do the same for 3 shots but not for 5 or 10. there is a reason why Wby only guarantees a 1.5 inch group for 3 shots! -No offense, but just about any run of the mill Rem 700 can equal or exceed those groups.In fact I have a .257 Wby that I built on a Rem 700 that will shoot in the .2s for 5 shots all day long. way better than the stock Wby .257 rifle.Thats my kind of accuracy!-Rob

I'm sorry, but a ten shot or even a five shot group to determine accuracy in a HUNTING RIFLE is nonsense-with any rifle and particularly ANY of the over bore cartridges. Three shot groups are the standard with most rifle makers. Ten shots without cooling is just not required. Please post a manufacturer of production rifles that guarantees 1.5" or better accuracy FOR TEN SHOTS.

There is no doubt a 700 (or a Model 70 for that matter) can shoot groups just as good or better, but with a Weatherby I don't have to worry about glued on bolt handles, flimsy sheet metal extractors prone and fail on fire safeties. Here you go my 300 and 340 at 200 respectively:

Oh and here is a five shot group for my 300 at 100 yards:

You don't like Weatherbys, I get that, but facts are facts and there they are.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Jorge- No offense, but Ho Hum.Maybe your the lucky one with an action with more than two locking lugs engaging I think you and I have very different standards where accuracy is concerned. I check my guns with 5 and ten shot groups as do most precision shooters. Glad your happy with your Wby. Sorry but three shot groups don't impress me nor does a group change after the first "fouling" shot. First shot from a cold clean bore should shoot into the group not outside it. This by the way seems typical of Wby's . I have a .257 Wby that shoots similar to yours, so what? My experience with 5 other Wby's has been just terrible, and I really doubt that somehow only I magically got the bad ones,that also is a " fact" and has shaped my opinion of them. Again, Ive had only 2 good ones out of 7 owned. In particular, Wbys factory service was abysmal when I sent the first two in for repair. Do you really think I should be praising them or do you think I'm just making that up? Well I'm not!!!! I've probably owned over 100 Rem 700's and Win70s with only one or two bad ones in the lot. Way better odds in my experience of getting a good one. Factory service was promptband corrected the problems and professional. I never had a bolt handle break off or a failed extractor and since I only use Jewell triggers, the Rems were all changed out immediately as a matter of course. I blueprinted many of those Rems and made varmint and competition guns out of them, most of which would shoot into the .2s easily. Never even considered using a Wby for that. Frankly I got over Wby's years ago and would rather build a custom rifle with way better accuracy and reliability than any Wby ever made and for not much more money.In particular since my interests now are primarily in Big Bore hunting rifles, a push feed action that can't readily be trued,along with the Weatherby "image" just doesn't cut it for me and I have no use for them. Obviously your happy with Wby's so lets just let it go at that. -Rob

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jorge- No offense, but Ho Hum.Maybe your the lucky one with an action with more than two locking lugs engaging

I think you and I have very different standards where accuracy is concerned. I check my guns with 5 and ten shot groups as do most precision shooters. YES WE DO, I STRIVE FOR HUNTING ACCURACY AND HAVE NO INTEREST IN PRECISION SHOOTING AT PAPER TARGETS AND AGAIN, ALL HUNTING RIFLES, EVEN BY THE MOST RENOWNED GUNMAKERS OFFER THREE SHOT GROUP ACCURACY. FIVE AND TEN ARE FOR PRECISION SHOOTERS JUST AS YOU SAY.

Glad your happy with your Wby. Sorry but three shot groups don't impress me nor does a group change after the first "fouling" shot. YES THEY DO IF ONE FORGETS TO DEGREASE THE BARREL AS I DID IN THAT INSTANCE BUT YOU ASKED FOR A FIVE SHOT GROUP AND THERE IT IS.

First shot from a cold clean bore should shoot into the group not outside it. This by the way seems typical of Wby's . I have a .257 Wby that shoots similar to yours, so what? My experience with 5 other Wby's has been just terrible, and I really doubt that somehow only I magically got the bad ones,that also is a " fact" and has shaped my opinion of them. Again, Ive had only 2 good ones out of 7 owned. In particular, Wbys factory service was abysmal when I sent the first two in for repair. Do you really think I should be praising them or do you think I'm just making that up? Well I'm not!!!! DIDN'T SAY YOU WERE AND BY NO MEANS ARE QUESTIONING YOUR VERACITY.

I've probably owned over 100 Rem 700's and Win70s with only one or two bad ones in the lot. Way better odds in my experience of getting a good one. Factory service was promptband corrected the problems and professional. I never had a bolt handle break off or a failed extractor and since I only use Jewell triggers, the Rems were all changed out immediately as a matter of course. I blueprinted many of those Rems and made varmint and competition guns out of them, most of which would shoot into the .2s easily. Never even considered using a Wby for that. WEATHERBYS ARE HUNTING RIFLES NOT PRECISION RIFLES BUT THE TARGETS PROVIDED WITH BOTH MY 257S CLEARLY SHOW THEY ATTAIN THAT WITH THREE SHOT GROUPS. AS TO REMINGTON'S JUST DO A GOOLGE SEARCH FOR SAFETY AND LITIGATION.

Frankly I got over Wby's years ago and would rather build a custom rifle with way better accuracy and reliability than any Wby ever made and for not much more money. CAN'T ARGUE THAT POINT BUT I'VE YET TO SEE A DECENT "CUSTOM" RIFLE FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY AND IF IT HAS A 700 ACTION, I WOULDN'T EVE CONSIDER IT. AND I AGREE WERE I TO BUILD A CUSTOM, IT WOULD NOT BE WITH A WEATEHRBY ACTION.

In particular since my interests now are primarily in Big Bore hunting rifles, a push feed action that can't readily be trued,along with the Weatherby "image" just doesn't cut it for me and I have no use for them. THERE'S THE CRUX OF THE MATTER AND I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THIS.

Obviously your happy with Wby's so lets just let it go at that. -Rob SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I had 4 Weatherby rifles at one time. I no longer own any of them and have no plans to buy more.
The South Gate rifle was very nice…shot well and finish was incredible. Never had a problem with it. It was just too pretty to take hunting and I sold it for an Accumark.
The Accumark 338-378 shot decent for me. Probably a 1.5 MOA rifle…maybe better. I am not a marksman so I will not comment much on accuracy.
I had the following problems with that gun:
1. Action bolt sheared while torqueing the action to the stock.
2. Broke an extractor (closing the bolt on an unfired round….not from shooting hot loads and getting sticky bolt).
3. The Bolt and Action had major rust issues in wet climates.
4. Bolt stop plunger froze in the down position on an elk hunt in the Rockies. The bolt then pulls out while cycling the action. (Poor design IMO)

I had a 257 Weatherby that was the ultra light model. It shot OK until the barrel got hot…then it would start walking. That gun also had problems with rust on the bolt and the receiver. Never had issues with the barrel rusting. Gun had probably 300 rounds fired and accuracy started to go to hell. Loved the caliber but had a 264 Win mag built on a M-70…I like it better!

I also had an action that I was going to build a custom with. After all the issues I decided to dump it along with the remaining guns. Just don’t think I am a weatherby guy.

I believe people should order a spare extractor from Weatherby if they take their guns on a hunting trip. The extractors are easy to remove and reinstall…just takes a small punch. I was amazed at how small they are….really quite fragile. They appear to be cast. When Mine broke the parts guy at weatherby said it is not uncommon to break them if you shoot reloaded ammo.

While I don’t feel compelled to talk the guns down….I doubt they will find a place in my safe. I just don’t think they are as reliable as other designs (Winchester or Mauser). If you hunt in cold weather I expect you will have the bolt retaining plunger freeze on you just like I had. It is a poor design IMO since it operates off the trigger and therefore is in motion each time you shoot. I wonder if it froze in the up position, would it prevent you from pulling the trigger?

The rust problems are not related to improper gun care since the other rifles I have used don’t have any problems. The barrels would never show rust…just the bolt and the action. Must be the type of steel they use?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote