THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Japan: 2008 Deer Season Results with Pics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japan: 2008 Deer Season Results with Pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A buddy of mine stationed in Japan sent me some pics of a Sika stag he took on the island of Hokkaido last year.

Yes, Virginia, there are deer on license in Japan. And boar, and Asian black and brown bears.

He's taken other Sika on Honshu, but the deer get larger as you move north. This is his best stag yet.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
That's a hell of a stag!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is indeed a whopper of a Sika.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kenoneill:

Not everything is smaller in Japan.

There was a girl tending bar at one of my local hangouts we just nicknamed "D-cup," but that's another story . . .

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Thats a real nice Sika

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:
Originally posted by China Fleet Sailor:
quote:
Originally posted by kenoneill:

Not everything is smaller in Japan.

True, true. Just ask my wife! OK, bad example... Wink

Disregard previous post about pics, obviously. Nice animal! I noted the shorts and hi-tech hunting garb with a grin. The terrain can be insanely rugged in many parts of Japan, with accompanying weather at times. It seems that on that particular hunt, neither were much of an issue. Smiler

Hopes raised!

Thanks, CFS.

KG

Hate to disappoint, KG, but he didn't hunt in that garb. I cropped out a lot of that pic to protect the guilty, but he took that when he arrived back on the Naval Station. If you look closely, in the upper right there's a brown and white sign in English.

Also, he's from Alaska so the weather has to get pretty damn bad before he thinks it's too cold for shorts. On this trip, though, the weather wasn't bad. But the rugged terrain definitely was an issue. A positive one. The local Japanese hunters won't get out and walk in it. So it's easy to leave the crowd behind. You don't have to hike too far before you've hiked farther than everyone else. Which is good, because "insanely rugged" is a good way to describe a country that looks like rows of dragon teeth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slugs or buckshot?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Slugs or buckshot?

Slugs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SWEET! I am also here in Japan and just by chance live in Hokkaido. I am licensed as well and to date have taken about 120 deer, not bad for three seasons! We went out yesterday and I had chains on all four corners of my 4-runner (aka hilux surf) and still needed the winch 4 or 5 times. Took a nice nontypical stag home. Will you be around in October? I would love to hunt with a fellow American!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, where were you guys hunting up here? I live on the Southeast coast where deer density is the highest in the world.

Attached is an old pic I have uploaded to photobucket. I have taken a number of stags like this. I had to wear that cheesy hat for the pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the pic doesn't load, here is the link http://s124.photobucket.com/al...iew¤t=1101.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice deer!

But I'm not there anymore. I was posting pix that my buddy sent me from the past season. But he's moving on to a NATO job in Lisbon. So he won't be spending another hunting season in Japan either.

What are you doing in Hokkaido?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run a couple of Engrish schools among other various things. Sorry that I didn't fully read the post, I was just happy to see another white guy holding a えぞしか! Do you by chance frequent the gaijinpot forums? I think I recognize your avatar and name. Living up here is a blast!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hokkaido:
I run a couple of Engrish schools among other various things. Sorry that I didn't fully read the post, I was just happy to see another white guy holding a えぞしか! Do you by chance frequent the gaijinpot forums? I think I recognize your avatar and name. Living up here is a blast!

I wish I had an "Ezoshika!"

I wasn't smart enough to figure things out the first time or two around.

Good on you, though, for cracking the code.

I had a blast while I was there.

But I'm not on that forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hold on here folks. Kamo Gari clearly exposed Hokkaido for the fraud that he is back in '06.

I too, stumbled across the Japanese website he posted on.

Taking pictures with someone elses trophy is OK I guess, but claiming it as your own is just sad.

Hokkaido seems to have a great imagination, a weird identity crisis, and a lot of time on his hands.

Posts: 47 | Location: West Palm Beach Florida | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hokkaido, Congratulations!! You can own a gun AND a knife in Japan. Kill all the sitka stags you can while your over there. Your the man.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I was basing my opinion on what I saw posted on another site 3 years ago. I should know better, trusting something I saw on the internet.
It's good to see a young man learning a language and culture different than his own.

What I don't understand is an American living in Japan calling someone else (Kamo Gari) a halfbreed as if it's some kind of racist insult. Do you think your Japanese?

It's no wonder you have to offer an "open invitation" to find guys to hunt with.

Posts: 47 | Location: West Palm Beach Florida | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like that deer might have been in the rut.
Pretty ruff looking.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, Saeed and the administrator have been very tolerant. I think that you and I are the only ones enjoying this. So rather than carry on this uselessness, I just want you to know that all the pictures and stories I have posted are genuine. You could come see for yourself if you like. I don't know about other sites, other than the link you posted a couple years ago.

Not that it matters, but I don't have anything to do with any Winbe school, in fact I don't think I have ever seen one, and I doubt there is one on my island.

Really, I don't think we should push our luck any further, and I don't think there is anything informative left to say.

If you want to have the last word, you may, but personally I would like to apoligize for my part in ruining this thread.

Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, I have to say that is a nice looking slug gun. Would anyone else agree that it is a Mossberg? Perhaps a 500, or 835?

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hokkaido:
Yes, I agree, Saeed and the administrator have been very tolerant. I think that you and I are the only ones enjoying this. So rather than carry on this uselessness, I just want you to know that all the pictures and stories I have posted are genuine. You could come see for yourself if you like. I don't know about other sites, other than the link you posted a couple years ago.

Not that it matters, but I don't have anything to do with any Winbe school, in fact I don't think I have ever seen one, and I doubt there is one on my island.

Really, I don't think we should push our luck any further, and I don't think there is anything informative left to say.

If you want to have the last word, you may, but personally I would like to apoligize for my part in ruining this thread.

Eric

Nope. I'm done on this one. Congrats on getting your permit, FWIW. I apologize as well to the AR fraternity for my part.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
the bottom line to this whole shit fight is that hokkaido keeps posting pics of great sika stags that he takes regularly and as its a hunting forum and not a bitchin` forum lets offer congrats...

Congrats on those monster sika you take ,thumbs up!

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents

Always amazes me that individuals who have never met, can argue to the extent we find on the web.

Me, I try and keep the shit hurling to PM. Doing this sort of thing in public makes folks form an impression that is maybe way off the mark.

Not good, as you both clearly have a lot going for you.

KG - Your 'fish in the bath' thread had me envious as hell & laughing like a drain.

Hokaido - your photos are excellent and capture the quality of both your deer and hunting.

I wish that your differences could evaporate. At the end of the day, this is the internet, not talking face to face. You will never resolve anything by shit slinging online. What you do achieve, actually demeans you both. It also mars the 'feel-good' factor that makes this site my favourite hangout. A pity, as I know I would enjoy hunting with both you guys.

Hope you can learn to ignore each other - or better still, get on civil terms.

Just my thoughts for you both, and worth exactly what you paid for them.

Best regards from a Limey, who thinks of himself only as a hunter.

Rgds Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice sentiment Ian, and I thank you for it. Truth is, I've been at AR for 8 or more years I believe (had a name change at one of the upgrades), and enjoy it here. Only two people have I had issues with over all those years, with Hokkaido being one (I don't count Ray Smiler ). I've met some great people here, and met and hunted and fished with a couple who continue to be good friends.

I won't belabor the point anymore and am done with the online hostilities (cheers from the crowd), but suffice it to say that there is more than meets the eye to folks here.

Cheers, and good hunting to you.

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:

I won't belabor the point anymore and am done with the online hostilities (cheers from the crowd)

KG

Sir, Thankyou.
Life is too short, and this site is too good, for you to waste your time with acrimony!

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Why do you let yourselves drawn to such childish behaviour?

Argue a point, use facts to drive your point home.

All name calling does is reflect very badly on you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I see the facts Saeed..... they are in the shape of some great Sika stag trophies.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

Why do you let yourselves drawn to such childish behaviour?

Argue a point, use facts to drive your point home.

All name calling does is reflect very badly on you.

Right you are. I deleted my inflammatory posts.

Apologies, Saeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You erased your posts?? Aw, we were just starting to have fun! Well, I guess I better erase mine, cuz the way it is now, my posts just look like I'm going off on myself!
homer
I'm sure you did this on purpose! People reading this thread years from now will surely be quite confused.

But anyway, we got a half year till season starts here, so I guess that means we got a half season to "make up".

Saeed, your site is for sure too good for our naughty schoolboy crap, but I just wanted to say
THANK YOU! Any American site would have long ago deleted and maybe blocked us. Instead, you let us figure it out on our own, now that's what I call freedom of speech!

And if you ever would like to be part of taking an SCI record book sika stag, let me know.

Eric