Find
Notify
Tools

Ibex and Urial in Pakistan
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted
Have spent the last 10 days hunting Sindh Ibex and Urial in Baluchistan and Sindh.
A wonderful experience, and specatcular landscape. I came away humbled by the tough mountain people of this troubled region, and with a couple of nice trophies to boot.
Here's a few pictures to enjoy.

Landscape

Urial Country

Urial Sheep on the skyline.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Guide glassing for Urial

My Urial Ram

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb...ersnz/UrialSheep.jpg

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
IBEX TERRAIN

ON THE TOPS:

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb.../trackersnz/Tops.jpg

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
ON THE TOPS:

one of us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Excellent photos and urial. Is that the Blanford Urial that is from the Baluchistan region?

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post

During the day we sheltered in Caves to escape the searing heat. (35+ or 100+ for you yanks.)

We sat joking and communicating without speaking. I couldn't speak a word of their language.
We drank Chai (Sweet milky tea) made on a fire.
And ate firebaked bread balls. Scrape the charcoal off and eat the center.
We also chewed on the gum of some desert tree.
Probably much the same as these guys and their ancesters have done for the past thousands of years.

They wore simple flowing robes and sandels made of Ibex hide and soles of Car Tire, or coiled rope.
I wore Meindel Boots and Hi-tech Air mesh clothes from Stoney Creek.
Thye carried water in Gourds and Plastic Oil cans covered in sacking, hung by a string over their shoulder. Their few bits of gear and food were wrapped in a shawl and draped over the shoulder.
I wore a Camelback Pack.
They used their eyes, I used Swarovski Binoculars..... So Who got it right????

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post

And in the end my ultimate prize, a beautiful big old Sindh Ibex. 11 years old.
This hunt had all the hallmarks of a true Mountain Hunt. All the emotions: Frustration, disapointment, dispair, exhaustion and in the end....... ELATION on the last day of a 10 day hunt.

I'm on my way home now, stranded in Dubai by fog. But with me goes a memory that will last with me forever.
A unique experience in country that seldom gets a visit by outsiders. And a humbling experience to live for 10 days, amongst tough hardy mountain people, who have a huge skill set and knowlege to survive in the mountains, which are their home.
Leading uncluttered lives.
So.... who's got it all worked out???

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
FLESHING OUT THE CAPES, BACK IN KARACHI

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Kathi: Yes these were Blandford Urial.
However there is some influence of Afghan Urial in the area. Especially so with conflict in Afghanastan being not too far away, and pushing animals over the border

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

That ibex is unbelievable!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a hunt. Looks like pretty desolate country. Like the way the locals carry their animals...

Did you not have an english speaking guide with you? And how do you tip these guys?

Thanks for the report and pics. Absolutely true trophies.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, congratulations,
looks like a fantastic hunt with the locals, way to go!

Killer ibex Smiler

Posts: 93 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW what a hunt.
This Ibex is simply Awesome.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Must have been an awesome adventure. beer

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing. I'm glad you some nice animals!
Thx for sharing.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
What an adventure! Smiler
Can you tell us more about shot distances to expect?
What rifle/optics etc?
Did you see a lot of animals?

Thanks for sharing!
We "need" more Asian reports like this! Big Grin

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
tim congratulations i hope u enjoyed every moment we were waiting to meet u but ur tight sechdule may b next time when u come, have a nice flight .

ur 3 greatest hunts r, ur 1st,ur last,and ur next!!!!

Posts: 254 | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dabloobana
posted Hide Post
congrats!

Amazing pics, beautiful trophies.

Born to hunt, forced to work.

Posts: 36 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an awsome hunt. Congratulations on the fine animals taken.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
What an amazing hunt and experience!Congratulations. I also admire the fact that you chose to try to understand the people whom you hunted with.Their values,traditions,hospitality etc.Thank you for sharing these amazing pictures.

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sikander. I am sorry I missed you this time..I was looking forward to sharing a Black label with you in that fine bar that you have. Next time... I will be back in January.. I still have an appointment with some other members of your wildlife in Pakistan.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
TrackersNZ,

I too would like to hear more about what rifle and caliber you used. How did you setup the hunt?

Congrats on both animals, but I'm taken back by that ibex. Ibex are a truly regal animal. Are you doing life-size mounts or shoulder mounts?

What animals are you going back for in January?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
I used a borrowed Winchester .270, with a very nice VX7 Leupold Scope.
My longest shot (Urial) was 350 yards.
Ibex was about 100 yards.
Long Shooting capacity is definitely a plus when hunting Urial. They, like a lot of Wild Sheep, are very testy. Incredibly alert and don't hang around. When they make their exit, they do not stop. No second chances.
Ibex on the other hand, are like all Goats, just a little goofy under pressure. But they live at higher elevations.
It's quite possible, with plenty of foreplanning, to take your own Rifle into Pakistan, for purposes of hunting.
Animal numbers were not high. We hunted 3 different areas. First was good for Urial only, however in two days we saw none. Second area was good for both Urial and Ibex. We saw plenty Urial, but only a few very distant Ibex in 6 days. The third area was good for Ibex only, and it was loaded.
yes I did have a chap who could speak english accompanying me, and another that had a few words, enough to get by.
Tipping: I suggest knife sharpeners (Jewel stick or similar) or Binos.
I started sharpening knives, and attracted quiet a crowd. The "Magic" Jewel Stick was popular.
I'm doing shoulder mounts.
If you're interested in doing one of these hunts PM me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrackersNZ:
Thank you Sikander. I am sorry I missed you this time..I was looking forward to sharing a Black label with you in that fine bar that you have. Next time... I will be back in January.. I still have an appointment with some other members of your wildlife in Pakistan.
What is on your list in January?
It sounds like a very cool hunt, I love adventures hunts!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote