New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Sheep in Nepal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone planning on going in the next couple of years? After getting a few other things done, it is now at the top of my list. Any advice from those of you that have done the hunt? Dates? Outfitters? etc...

thanks

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We are looking at spring 2019. It's definitely at the top of our bucket list!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mind sharing who you are going with? You can PM if you'd like. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Greg Brownlee. He has done it.

I took two in China 20 years ago. Major adventure.

Posts: 12016 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
World's greatest hunting adventure. Did it 30 years ago.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby:

Here is a link to a report I did years after the fact from memory. Someone prompted me to do this for reasons I do not recall now. Granted this was China not Nepal.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...131090661#2131090661

Posts: 12016 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby:

Mike Monnin of CaptivateM Outdoors in Alaska just did this a year or two ago. He is a friend of mine. Good guy. I am sure he would talk to you about it. He is a mountain hunting FREAK. He said it was the only hunt he had ever been on that he could not do by himself.

PM me if you want his e mail and phone number.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Talk to Pir Danish that writes on this forum or Kaiser Kahn. Go to Shimshal you will see some magic country there.

If you go to my Insta account you will se a lot of pics from northern Pak

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danish would be the guy I would talk to. I have heard some things from a couple people about Kaiser Kahn that were not so great.
That being said Kaiser Kahn had the best prices I have seen and has discounted hunt prices every year.
Shimshal area seems like a very interesting place.
This hunt has been on my bucket list to do. I think it is the extreme of the mountain hunts.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the shows James Brion produces had a series of shows from the reserve in Nepal. The name begins with a D. I will never be able to spell it. Dhorophatan maybe? It was absolutely fascinating.

The client shot a tahr. One of the Nepalese, wearing some sort of sandal, goes hoping down the rocks to the tahr. They had to get ropes to get the client there. I will never forget that. They also took blue sheep.

A couple of years previously, Jim Shockley had a 4 show series on Nepal. It was absolutely amazing.

I am not sure if copies of these shows could be obtained. They would be informative.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the echolsrifles blog regarding my 2016 hunt. Defintely a highlight and Samsher is 100% recommended.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of writing my full report on my Nepalese hunt I did last fall. Hands down the best hunt I've ever done! There aren't many hunts like it left today, if any at all.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello

I hunted Blue Sheep in the Shimshal area of Northern Pakistan, and saw Sheep every day I was in the hunting area.

It is an unspoiled wilderness and it took me 2 days to hike into the hunting area with 15 porters and a camp cook.

You have to hunt these Sheep from November through first 2 weeks of March. In late March they start loosing their winter coat.

Practice shooting out to 500 yards and have an accurate rifle with an MOA reticle scope.

You could either hunt them in Pakistan or Nepal, both are tough mountain hunts, the real thing.
I have hunted mountain game all my life and I can tell you this was my toughest mountain hunt.

One word of caution, choose the country where you can take your own long range rifle that you have practiced with.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which country do you guys recommend for those that have gone or know much about the different countries you can hunt?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for all the info guys. I am mainly interested in hunting in Nepal. Pakistan is on the list, but maybe for other species at some point.

I'm looking for fall of 2018, possibly 2017.

thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
One of the shows James Brion produces had a series of shows from the reserve in Nepal. The name begins with a D. I will never be able to spell it. Dhorophatan maybe? It was absolutely fascinating.

The client shot a tahr. One of the Nepalese, wearing some sort of sandal, goes hoping down the rocks to the tahr. They had to get ropes to get the client there. I will never forget that. They also took blue sheep.

A couple of years previously, Jim Shockley had a 4 show series on Nepal. It was absolutely amazing.

I am not sure if copies of these shows could be obtained. They would be informative.

Dorpatan (sp?) Hunting Reserve.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Shockey has an episode on this week from Nepal. They do take a blue sheep. Pretty serious country there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in Nepal twice, first time in the Fall of 2012, and second time in the Spring of 2015, two-three weeks before the earthquake that devastated part of the country.
After the first trip I wrote http://forums.accuratereloadin...221022181#8221022181
After the second trip, in which I killed a fantastic 14 year old ram I wrote a report in another forum and maybe it would not be right to show the link here.
I hope they re open the area of Kanchenjunga, in the east of the country, for next Spring in which case, God willing, I will go again.
Also, since 2010 I have sent clients there mostly every Spring and every Fall so I believe to have a clear picture of the hunting there and, in my mind, Nepal offers the best mountain hunting in the world.

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote