Find
Notify
Tools

Odd Asian large mammals
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
found a website with picture links to mammals of Asia.

Kyang, tibetan wild ass

Kulan (Onager)

Javan rhino

Barasinga

Gaur

takin

goral

Many others here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...:_Odd-toed_ungulates

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Can you hunt any of them besides the takin? Sure would like to shoot a goral, wild ass, and gaur (and takin).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I believe the ghoral is still hunted in some places.
Indian wolf

sind Ibex

Nigiri tahr

urial

sun Bear

Asian black Bear

toddy cat (palm civet0

snow leopard

golden cat (grows to 35 lb)

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Steve ... you're cruel.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Man, a gaur hunt would have been great.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Gaur video
http://www.savevid.com/video/i...n-wildlife-gaur.html

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Takin always look strong. Anyone know how hard they are to put down?

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big mature gaur bull would be HIGH on my to do list if we were still able to hunt them..They are stunning animals.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
My family my mother's side of the family lived in India from 1958 to 1968, while my grandfather was building a couple of dams there.

My grandfather had a pretty impressive collection of hunting memories from that time, and a few very interesting photos. Leopards, tiger, asiatic black bear, guar, axis, hog deer, muntjac, and so milgai.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I have a client who made the mistake of putting several gaur on his Texas ranch way back in the day. They started killing other animals right away. He decided to shoot them all, which turned into a circus. He said it would take 2-3 guys with big guns shooting straight and fast to put them down if they didn't brain or spine them. Every one charged, often before they were even shot, and several vehicles were severely damaged in the process. I wish I could have hunted one.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its possible these became vicious after moving to TX Smiler, but Gaur although the largest bovine in the world are known to be timid animals and rarely charge even when wounded. My father shot several with a 9x57 mauser and I know quite a few people who shot them with 30-06 neck shot.

All this being said, they can be dangerous if cornered, a friend of mine was killed by one on a tea estate in southern india. He was a manager of a tea plantation and was with several dozen people standing around trying to figure out how to free this bison as it had fallen into a water tank pit, when it suddenly managed to get a footing and jumped out. He was in the way and it tossed him, he landed on a water pipe sticking out of the ground and died a few days later from internal injuries.

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He decided to shoot them all, which turned into a circus. He said it would take 2-3 guys with big guns shooting straight and fast to put them down if they didn't brain or spine them. Every one charged, often before they were even shot, and several vehicles were severely damaged in the process.

BOOM

Seloushunter Wink

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I don't think gaur can be hunted even in Texas anymore

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote