New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody hunt the Golden Takin?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
IF China reopens hunting, my husband is obsessed with hunting a Golden Takin.

Has anyone here hunted one? We "googled" it and found it is approximately 1400 lbs., it is believed to be what the legend of the golden fleece was based on, and suprisingly it supposedly kills a few villagers a year. There is not a lot of hunting information on this animal.

Thanks for any input.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Closer to 800 pounds, Wikipedia says 1400 but the San Diego Zoo and Ultimate Ungulate say 800. I have seen Andy Samuels with a dead one and it looked to be a sheared muskox, maybe a bit bigger. But not 1400 pounds.

Be careful, Samuels didn't have horns. They gave him a spare set.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I had no idea they were even 800 lbs, but this picture show how big they really are:

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Not me personally, but talked with a gentlemen who has. Makes for a very unique animal in a trophy room.

He wrote an article about it that was published in Safari Magazine.
http://www.sci-gg.com/upld/fil...by%20Bob%20Keagy.pdf

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the information. Sevens good job finding the SCI article, much appreciated.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen them at the San Diego Zoo (as well as the smaller Szechwan variety) and talked to a zookeeper. They are large animals, but if I recall, the keeper told me the largest golden they had would only go 650 lbs. That's about 1400 kilos, so maybe that is where the 1400 comes from. He also said he won't get in the enclosure with them because they are sneaky and mean.

Since they are listed on CITES II as endangered I thought that might be an issue in hunting them, but obviously the Safari magazine article puts that to rest. The tough part may be getting a permit - with only 5 or 6 issued each year.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ratltrap:
I've seen them at the San Diego Zoo (as well as the smaller Szechwan variety) and talked to a zookeeper. They are large animals, but if I recall, the keeper told me the largest golden they had would only go 650 lbs. That's about 1400 kilos, so maybe that is where the 1400 comes from. He also said he won't get in the enclosure with them because they are sneaky and mean.

Since they are listed on CITES II as endangered I thought that might be an issue in hunting them, but obviously the Safari magazine article puts that to rest. The tough part may be getting a permit - with only 5 or 6 issued each year.
650lbs does not equal 1400 Kg. Did you mean it the other way around?

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The formula for converting Kilograms to Pounds is weight in Kilos x 2.2, the weight of a kilo in pounds.

350 Kg = 770 pounds.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Ok, that is a pretty cool trophy!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote