Notify
Tools

Man-eater Tiger shot dead
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Talodi man-eater shot dead
1 Dec 2007, 0443 hrs IST,Vijay Pinjarkar & Mazhar Ali,TNN

NAGPUR/CHANDRAPUR: The four police department sharpshooters shot dead the man-eating tiger, which had wreaked havoc in Talodi, at 8 am on Friday. Interestingly, the wild cat turned out to be a male tiger and not a female as assumed earlier. The animal was shot in compartment number 30 on the periphery of Govindpur village, when it was approaching a bull that it had killed on Thursday. The village is part of the Talodi-Balapur forest range of Bramhapuri forest division in North Chandrapur Circle.

"It was a close encounter from about 60 metres. In all, we fired 38 rounds and eight bullets were removed from the caracass of the tiger. When we hit the first bullet, the tiger was still walking but his movement became slow. We fired more rounds but two bullets—one in the neck and another in the heart—proved fatal," sharpshooters Durgadas Gadam and Vijay Bhardiya told TOI.

"I’m relieved. It was a right decision as human life is more important for us than the tiger. We had been chasing the animal since October 15 but were unsuccessful. We would have been in trouble following more attacks on humans," remarked B Majumdar, principal chief conservator of forests (PCCF), wildlife, Maharashtra. The tiger had killed six villagers, four of them in little over a month.

"We had been spending sleepless nights for the past six months. Now our nightmare is over," claimed many villagers, who looked relaxed after seeing the tiger dead. The sharpshooters from Chandrapur headquarters were led by Rahul Sorte, RFO.

When the dead tiger was being taken in a vehicle, hundreds of curious villagers thronged the roads to have a glimpse of the man-eater. The officials also went slow to send a message that the animal was killed.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
38 SHOTS---"SHARP-SHOOTERS"

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
I was going to say the same thing. jumping animal

Hamdeni
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
38 SHOTS---"SHARP-SHOOTERS"

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
38 shots, 8 bullets removed from the carcass.

Roll Eyes 2020

damn at 60 meters thats lousy shooting, i dont think they should quit there day job.

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did the other 30 bullets go into this village? I would feel safer with one tiger than being in the vicinity of those four "sharpshooters".

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I remember an incident in minneapolis a decade or so ago.Two "suspects " pulled some crime,must have been murder,cause the police shot back at them.98 times if I remember correctly,never touched one of them. Roll Eyes

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sad.

They should just go ahead and kill every tiger in India since that is where this is going.

I disagree with the gentleman quoted. As far a I'm concerned the tiger is more important than human life in India. In most cases the "villagers" have moved onto land set aside for tigers and leopards, yet when they get killed, the predator is a "man-eater".

Just a guess, but I would say they killed the wrong tiger if all indications were that it was a female that had killed the "villagers".

As for the "sharpshooters"; their weapons are antiquated, and their skills are virtually non-existent. They killed a "rogue" elephant while we were living in India. Same scenario. They kept running along pumping lead into the animal until he finally bled-out and keeled over.

It is a shame that the tiger doesn't live in a first-world country where they can be protected and preserved. Project Tiger in India has become a joke.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...... Kensco .sorry but I greatly disagree with you......But if you would be so kind as to go feed yourself to the next maneater ,,,,,you would at least be saving some innocent person from being eaten .................................

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
im imperssed by the figure 38 rounds plus sharp shooters dam,thank GOD it was a tiger what happens when there was an terrorist out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next