THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Argentina - Part 3 (Raptors of Cordoba - Pics)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentina - Part 3 (Raptors of Cordoba - Pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted
Some pics of raptors I took in Cordoba, Argentina.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool.....here's a question: Are all raptors birds of prey, and vice versa?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
UUUOOOHHH shocker clap Excelent pictures of lechuzas, caranchos, chimangos and jotes, I asume that You use one of those big profesional reflex camera with long teleobjetive, what brand? I am just a simple amateur. Thanks for sharing . Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Norton
Birds of Prey - Common English Terminology
Raptor - Naturalist Terminology
Both are one and the same.

@Guille,
Glad you approved pics of birds from your province. All of my equipment is Canon (cameras and lenses)

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Glad I wandered in here! Thanks for the great pics.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great pics, I'd guess they are:

pic 1 - Burrowing Owl or similar
pic 2 - Black Vulture
pic 3 - Roadside Hawk or similar
pic 4 - some type of Kite (Grey? Snail?)
pic 5 - Swainson's Hawk (migrated from US)
pics 6 - 8 - Caracara
pic 9 - immature Caracara?

great pics...

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Craig
Glad you enjoyed the pics...looks like you know your birds quite well.
1,2,6,7,8,9 affirmative.
3,4 I will need to check on those.
5 may be a native Long-winged Harrier. He was flying really high and his wing shape was very very different from anything I had seen in the neighborhood. I wish I had taken more pics of him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Collector, you could very well be correct; we've got Northern Harriers here in Cal, used to be known as Marsh Hawks... your pic looks like a hawk from the Buteo family/genus, with the broader wings more for soaring and circling, as opposed to the Harriers' we've got... but again, I'm just a watcher and not an expert..

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm wrong about one or two but my guess is:

1)Lechuza de campo ó lechuza de las vizcacheras (Athene cunicularia)

2)Cuervo de cabeza negra (Coragyps atratus)

3)Chimango (Milvago chimango)

4)Chimango again.

5)Young aguila mora (Geranoaetus melanoleucus)

6, 7, 8 and 9) Carancho. Also known in some other countries as Caracara (Polyborus. plancus)

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

I'll have to brush up on my spanish.. Big Grin

I saw several Caracara's in Costa Rica, in fact they seemed to be extremely common... I believe they're most closely related to falcons (?), but again I'm not positive of that...at any rate they're a unique bird.

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Craig,

They are a pest down here !!
They are terrible during the lamb season, while the sheeps are droping their lambs they walked behind killing the lamb Mad

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Beatiful bird to shoot with a 223 or something like that as after some are shot down they become extremly spooky and don't allow you to get closer than several hundreds yards Big Grin

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

"Beatiful bird to shoot with a 223 or something like that as after some are shot down they become extremly spooky and don't allow you to get closer than several hundreds yards"

you must be from Alberta! Big Grin

Best Regards,
Craig

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
HERE ,MOST FARMERS SHOOT THE CARANCHOS WITH 22LR,22 WINCH MAG AND 223 BECAUSE THEY DAMAGE GFARM AND GAME ANIMALS ,BESIDES THAT THEY ARE A PEST RIGTH NOW.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The Caracara is the national "eagle" of Mexico, not well known as such though.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
We occasionally see Caracara when visiting the Hill Country of Texas. Don't know if or how much further North they get

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote