Find
Notify
Tools

Ticks -- now this Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
The bacteria we are discussing is Vibrio vulnificus.

Maybe you are. My comment was most flesh eating bacteria. I didn’t pick up on the salt water part.

Dr. would recommend eating raw carrion when non survival is not at issue?

Of course not. I wouldn’t recommend eating steak Tartare either. Or scrapple.

Would you drink a glass of water w Vibrio vulnificus in it or dip an open wound in said water?

I wouldn’t recommend drinking salt water regardless. It’s more likely to be fatal than the vibrio species in it…

Would you routinely sip on said water when alternatives are available?

Again, salt water isn’t good.

The answer to these questions is no.

Nice hedge, “ individually you might experience some issues.” I never said more than that. We evolved eating raw meat. No one would recommend eating carrion now. That was my observation.

My point being that most people could consume water with a very low level of giardia or vibrio (cholera type) and not get sick. Do it regularly, and you can tolerate more. V. Vulificus is more a GI problem with eating raw shellfish. It’s where the don’t eat oysters in a month without an R in the name comes from. Do you ever eat raw oysters? I have. There are lots of official recommendations that are made due to the weaker amongst us not tolerating things- like no raw meat or shellfish… much of which has more to do with prep than with the processing the food.

For example, in Africa there is lots of long process milk available. I haven’t ever seen it for sale here…

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
is long process milk the same as UHT? I kinda like the taste of UHT milk, not enough to buy it, but amazon sells it

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=uht...112&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I have eaten crisped termites in Africa.
Eaten grubs and ants. In jungle warfare school at Ft Sherman, you ate whatever you gathered or the instructors told you too, iguanna was a prize catch. Any complaints about anything, and you got the boot. No sissies in jungle warfare!
Grubs were swallowed whole after biting the head off. Ants, actually have a citrus taste to them, and not unpleasant, like grapefruit. No maggots, but if the instructors gave you a chunk of fish/monkey or any other meat with them in it, you bet your ass it would have been cooked and eaten as is, or you fail.

"iguanna was a prize catch"

I read somewhere that they were good to eat, presumably prepared properly.

"In jungle warfare school at Ft Sherman"

I forgot that you did that. My respects Cool

You do stuff that "normal" people try to avoid.

I'm glad that you have survived this long.

I figure the world is a better place because there are a few unique people like you.

We disagree sometimes, but that doesn't matter at all.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19663 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little off topic Kabob...
It has been said that through much of central america, more protein could be raised by farming iguannas than beef. And there would be little environmental impact compared to raising beef. I dont know if that is true, but they are very prolific. There is not alot of taste, like gator. It would taste like how you cooked/seasoned it.
No real smell to the meat raw, cooked on a stick over a fire it tasted like ..... camp fire? about the best I could describe.
I'm not sure what a normal person is Kabob!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure what a normal person is Kabob!

Big Grin Big Grin

You caught that!!!

It's subjective, and probably non-existent.

Still, you ain't "normal" and neither am I, and we're both proud of it - the idea at least. Smiler

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19663 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Another thing I hate shanks, is so much animal feed coming with anti-biotics in them. It just compounds the issues you mentioned like anti-bacterial soap, it is just everywhere.

As far as I know, we are not allowed to put antibiotics in feed here. it has to be prescribed on a individual situation basis. I should post up a pic of one of our declaration forms that has to be filled out every time we sell an animal.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All beef is tested at the slaughterhouse for antibiotics here. I wish we had the same for feed. Calf grains and poultry feed have antibiotics unless you shop around. They claim "low levels" but it all can make animals resistant to treating issues when they get older. They are always having to come up with different and stronger doses to combat infections.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah its dumb. Over here now most rural vet clinics have a bactria tester. We can submit an infection sample of mastitis etc, and they will be able to diagnose the organism and what the correct course of treatment is within 24 hours.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote