Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ticks -- now this Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I hate ticks. I'm careful and use repellant spray, but occasionally I get one of the buggers on me. So far, nothing serious. But last summer, plucking one, I left part of the head. That darn thing stung and itched and swelled for two weeks before the doc (second doc) finally agreed to cut it out. All well in two days after that.

I subscribe to a fishing channel on youtube. A retired guy who likes to fish in the inshore coastal waters of Georgia. Anyway, he got an infection in his toe after jumping out of his boat to push it out when he got it stuck in the mud.

It's a cautionary tale:

https://youtu.be/7oVyiiXzAu8

Like him, I've done that many times through the years. But not anymore. I'll at least have shoes on if I have to do that again, not sandals, and probably use some hand sanitizer on my feet after.

Times have changed. There are cases of the flesh eating bacteria in Florida waters too.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Florida now has a resurgence of Leprosy.

Nature is fighting back against what we are doing to the planet.

Trump: "Putin is a Genius" "Hezbollah is very smart"

Posts: 17195 | Location: FL | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter:

Is there anyway we can develop leprosy to only affect politicians??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

They say it's endemic in Florida.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Gee, wonder why this could be happening Confused
Must be global warming!

The CDC, however, may be on to something else.

"...there is some support for the theory that international migration of persons with leprosy is a potential source of autochthonous transmission. Reports from Spain linked an increase in migration from other countries to an increase in autochthonous leprosy"

You don't say...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Migrations are tied to Global Warming. Confused

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
Gee, wonder why this could be happening Confused
Must be global warming!

The CDC, however, may be on to something else.

"...there is some support for the theory that international migration of persons with leprosy is a potential source of autochthonous transmission. Reports from Spain linked an increase in migration from other countries to an increase in autochthonous leprosy"

You don't say...

Well, the explosion in ticked is cited as being caused by wetter and milder winters.

Also, the warming oceans is a hypothesis for flesh eating bacteria.

Just keep ignoring it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna75935

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu...contentid=1657270135

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:

If that were the case, they'd be migrating South as well.
We don't see that happening and immigrants from the ME and N. Africa sure as hell aren't heading to Spain to beat the heat.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:

If that were the case, they'd be migrating South as well.
We don't see that happening and immigrants from the ME and N. Africa sure as hell aren't heading to Spain to beat the heat.

quote:

Reconcile, please.

"Heat" isn't the sole consequence or motivation per G. Warming.

There's habitat loss, poverty, economic loss, etc., much motivation for migration.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Footwear and hand sanitiser afterwards will not help. If you have a cut the bacteria in the water will get in. If its that much of a concern then the only real solution is waders.

Posts: 4239 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shanks, Some of the water where I used to launch a boat near here is very nasty, especially in the summertime.

I used to not worry about it.

Some waters look a lot cleaner, but still any cut is an entry spot.

If a guy worries too much, then he won't do much else.

I'll just look for cleaner launch sites. Smiler

XXX

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It started in Mar-A-Lago!!

Posts: 499 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much depends on your immune system.
I never treat cuts with anything, seldom cover them. Dirt, pitch, sweat and cowshit must be good for cuts as mine are always in them. I also drink out of streams, never a problem. Used to drive my wife , a nurse, crazy. But she agreed, a good immune system works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if clean v dirty gets you much on this one. The bacteria survives in hot water of some level of brakish water. I deduce it can be present in “clean” looking water as well as “bad” looking water. If one cares.

Can you imagine having shaved and getting that bacteria in the small abrasions and cuts that come from shaving?

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we have a bore on new farm with one of these bugs in it. Clean clear cold water but as we use the water for stock drinking we have to chlorinate it. Its nasty for people with reduced immune systems but healthy people should be ok.
The cause evidently was rotting leaf litter close to bore site.

Posts: 4239 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Much depends on your immune system.
I never treat cuts with anything, seldom cover them. Dirt, pitch, sweat and cowshit must be good for cuts as mine are always in them. I also drink out of streams, never a problem. Used to drive my wife , a nurse, crazy. But she agreed, a good immune system works.

As we get older, presumably wiser, we quit that shit.

Many years ago, I once got giardia from a stream in Alaska. I was on a caribou hunt and I didn't plan ahead properly and didn't have proper water or filters with me. Meds cured it, but it was uncomfortable. It was minor compared to what could happen drinking from above ground water.

Good immune system or not, some of it makes no difference. It will just get worse or take you out without proper meds.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About half the houses here have springs.
Mine is about 1/2 mile up the mountain. Cinder blocks, 3 ft deep, 6x3 wide and long. Wooden top with steel roofing for a cover. I check it a couple times a year, spring and fall. Usually fish out a decomposing squirrel/mouse or two. Count how many northern dusky salamanders I have in there. Never made anyone sick.
For thousands of years man has been drinking whatever fouled water they could find and be happy to have it. 40 miles to the next waterhole in the desert, on foot. ooh, birdshit, better wait for the next one.
Never got sick yet drinking water from open wells in a number of foreign countries. Not going to worry about drinking from streams around here now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeap, at one time humans could eat carrion. We would not try that now, and expect not to get sick.

To your point, my brother and I were visiting home. My brother drank the very drift well water we grew up with. I pulled him aside, and told him he needed to be careful. Obviously, surface water at least.

“I am keeping my immune system up.”

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ticks .. best two solutions are possums and ducks

nasty waterline? the water's edge is literally where life evolved first - low, slow slackwater is always pretty nasty

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Animals such as chicken, guinea fowl, wild turkeys, ants, spiders, opossums, frogs, squirrels, lizards, ants, and fire ants eat ticks. As tiny as they are, ticks have a variety of natural predators who eat them." Nov 5, 2022

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/t...s%20who%20eat%20them.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you seen extra aged beef? It is hung until it starts to rot. trimmed, hung until it goes bad on the outside again, then trimmed and packaged.
If you travel to any third world country you will see plenty of people eating carrion.
People here have turned into pussies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen it, and I doubt any of use could cut off a piece of old leopard or croc bait and not expect to get sick.

I know dry aged beef is controlled for. It is done in environment controlled fridges. I think it is stupid for the following reason. People complain to me about Venison being gamey. I prepare them a deer or elk steak. “This is awesome. I can’t believe this.” Next month we will be out. They will order a 85 dollar dry aged beef steak. Well, dry aging beef steak just makes it taste “gamey.”

Again, there is a difference in dry aging in a cooler than eating carrion. If I was borderline starving or in a protein depleted diet, I would eat it too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Modern day survivalists have trained their stomachs to be able to eat carrion. They even have shows about them, they make money doing it. It is all about what your immune system can take.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go slice you off some.

In a survival situation, lack of protein diet I would too. Probably would not work out well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten meat with a green sheen to it, cooked, not raw.
Show me where I said people should be drinking stream water or eating rotting meat.
I have said people had, and still have the ability to boost their immune system from what many are used to, and have.
You can be a dense prick at times Heym. Not sure what your point is trying to argue against that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sure seem to be arguing it by implication.
Comparing eating carrion to dry aged beef, survival scenarios, protein deficient diets c

They said I never said you did.

I am arguing it is not best practice for us to do now. Being the vulgarity you used for female genitalia has nothing to do with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TB40, your wife is right. What woman wants to be around an old buzzard who eats and smells like carrion, and is proud of being uncivilized?

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have no idea what I smell like Kabob.
My wife admitted, more people should have the immune system of the farmers and loggers here about. It would save a good bit of doctors visits.
You two are both pissy about some of us being healthy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you are health. Eating Carrion more than likely will not keep you healthy. That is all.

Nor, would a great immune system be a bet I would take on a flesh eating bacteria entering the blood stream.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have no idea what I smell like Kabob.
My wife admitted, more people should have the immune system of the farmers and loggers here about. It would save a good bit of doctors visits.
You two are both pissy about some of us being healthy.

You're correct, I don't know what you smell like, and don't want to know. From your comment that your wife disapproves of you eating carrion and drinking surface water I presumed several things, like you are nose-blind to your smell, but she's not. Apparently you have a good marriage and you wife loves you perhaps just as you are, stink and all. Smiler

If you roll those dice often enough, you will get snake eyes.

I don't consider that healthy physically or psychologically.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your immune system is made stronger by exposure, especially while young.

Most of what is referred to as “flesh eating bacteria” is common streptococcal bacteria with some resistance to antibiotics.

We use antibiotics liberally for both treating diseases and for economic reasons in agriculture.

There is some thought that part of the reason we see so many people with allergies is our current fetish of excessive cleanliness and lack of low grade exposure to things now.

That being said, a large enough exposure causes disease. How do you expose children to enough to boost immunity broadly without exposing them to too much and making them sick and killing some?

Add in that everyone has different tolerances biologically, and “just do it” will kill some.

There isn’t a great answer, especially in this day and age of environmental contamination with human activity.

While I don’t think croc bait would taste too good, if you had to eat it or die, you can… cook the hell out of it and eat the minimum necessary to survive. We evolved doing that, and we still can do it as a species… individually you might experience issues.

What was average life expectancy in the 1700’s? About half of now? And that was with a relatively uncontaminated environment.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kabob, have you never heard of taking a shower?
You are not as dumb as you are posting the last couple posts. Sometimes my day ends with me smelling like softwood pitch, sometimes sweat and hay chaft, sometimes cowshit. It all washes off in the shower. My wife was from DC. When she moved in, she drank the same spring water with dead squirrels that I did, showered in it too. Her mind changed as to what is healthy watching our daughter growing up rural.
You and the little boy do you, dont worry about me.
Doc, dont try to explain reason to these people, they know more than you do already.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bacteria we are discussing is Vibrio vulnificus.

Dr. would recommend eating raw carrion when non survival is not at issue?

Would you drink a glass of water w Vibrio vulnificus in it or dip an open wound in said water?

Would you routinely sip on said water when alternatives are available?

The answer to these questions is no.

Nice hedge, “ individually you might experience some issues.” I never said more than that. We evolved eating raw meat. No one would recommend eating carrion now. That was my observation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where in any of this has been discussion of eating raw meat? You are pulling that out of your ass.
The green tinged meat I have eaten, despite Kabob's lies I eat carrion, is nothing more than mold. Mold is what tenderizes dry aged meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there is a point too what TB40 is saying.

Most of these bacteria that we have potential to come in contact with in water, on food etc are only a problem if we have compromised immune systems. Something as simple as prolonged bouts of stress can compromise such, which is why you often get sick just after a stressful period.
Keeping your immune system working via the sporadic introduction of minor potential infections is far better than trying to keep yourself perfectly sealed off from any contact.

I remember vividly one hunting trip where some trampers walked into the hut for the night. One was a micro biologist who was studying harmful bacteria. She said the worst things we are doing are using these product such as anti bacteria soap, hand sanitisers, and anti bacterial kitchen cleaners. According to her we are achieving two things. Killing all the non harmful and beneficial bacteria that then leaves room open for harmful ones to have a seat, and we are drafting for resistant strains. Those non harmful strains of bacteria are still keeping your immune system working remember.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing I hate shanks, is so much animal feed coming with anti-biotics in them. It just compounds the issues you mentioned like anti-bacterial soap, it is just everywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where in any of this has been discussion of eating raw meat? You are pulling that out of your ass.
The green tinged meat I have eaten, despite Kabob's lies I eat carrion, is nothing more than mold. Mold is what tenderizes dry aged meat.

TB40, I'm messing with you. Wink

Just a little payback for all those times you modified and used something I posted long ago to mess with me. Smiler

BTW, do maggots add flavor? Just wondering. Wink

===============================================

Many years ago, I loaned my boat to a half-native guy in Alaska for him and his buddies to go moose hunting. The deal was that I got a 1/4 of the moose in exchange.

Well, they got two moose and a bear, and bent my prop too. They camped and stayed a long time. They hung the meat on a improvised rack, supposedly in game bags.

When they got back I noticed them at the harbor unloading gear and meat. So, I reminded them of the agreement.

The portion I got was a front shoulder, and it was mostly green with mold. I took it home and hung it up, trimmed/shaved the green off with a sharp fillet knife, then deboned it. I got quite a bit of meat out of that shoulder. It was tender and tasty. Given a choice, I wouldn't have aged it as long as they did. They just didn't want to make the trip with a partial load. That boat was made to haul a load. Like a good truck, it rode better with a load. I wish I still had it.

They never did make amends for the bent prop.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew you were Kabob, already said you are smarter than that. Everything I said was right above you, so you were fibbing.
My remarks are to the little boy, who knows everything, and can never be wrong. He has to change the story to make himself look correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a difficult man to payback!!!

Your BS is resilient and in plentiful supply.

But I'll try again later. Wink

BTW, do maggots add flavor, or just protein?

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten crisped termites in Africa.
Eaten grubs and ants. In jungle warfare school at Ft Sherman, you ate whatever you gathered or the instructors told you too, iguanna was a prize catch. Any complaints about anything, and you got the boot. No sissies in jungle warfare!
Grubs were swallowed whole after biting the head off. Ants, actually have a citrus taste to them, and not unpleasant, like grapefruit. No maggots, but if the instructors gave you a chunk of fish/monkey or any other meat with them in it, you bet your ass it would have been cooked and eaten as is, or you fail.