Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trump immunity Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Looks like SCOTUS MIGHT give him some leeway about that.

https://thehill.com/regulation...ity-claims-by-trump/

Seems to me that the questions asked by the judges lacked intellectual rigor. If something is a crime it should be a crime regardless of who committed or where it was committed. Presidents aren't above the law.

It seems to me that it's implicit to the job that a President would not be held criminally liable for encouraging or ordering the removal of someone like Soleimani or even another head of state.

It seems that most of the former Presidents managed to get by without the need to be ranted any special kind of immunity.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1200 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah,, they worked over the prosecuting attorney pretty good.

I think they might kick it back down to a lower court to make some distinctions in what is xactly what.
[like keeping it the way things are written in the constitution, but with a second clarifying ruling]

then I dozed off and missed about 20 minutes.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, a POTUS should have immunity for official acts done in his capacity as POTUS. A POTUS shouldn't have immunity for sedition, falsification of business records, election interference, etc.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15099 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Constitution requires a President to take care that the Laws of the United States be carefully executed, not his political rivals.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9574 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Fascinating position by justice Alito.

https://www.vanityfair.com/new...know-it-will-be-over

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...zFj?ocid=socialshare

'Genuinely shocking': Pro-Trump justices give presidential immunity case bad faith treatment

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19745 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Fascinating position by justice Alito.

https://www.vanityfair.com/new...know-it-will-be-over

Fucking insanity.

Why has no other President felt the need for "immunity" found nowhere in the Constitution?

If the Founders intended Presidents to be Kings they would have said so.

Posts: 9574 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to believe that any of the effort to overturn the 2020 election [whether it was done on company time or not] would fall under his official duties. He had already tried the right way through the courts and lost so inciting violence to help overturn the results is criminal activity no matter how you slice it. Elections are the responsibility of the states.

I think the fear of an ex-President getting prosecuted by his successor is greatly overblown, but then again we've never had a President like trump. Had Mike Pence or any of the Congress folks or staff been harmed or killed the DOJ should have thrown his ass in jail with a bail of say $45 million.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some analysis and commentary you won't hear on Fox:

https://youtu.be/f0e7thI13KI?si=87VTNbZCTgbBxxD4

Brooks and Capehart on Supreme Court arguments over immunity for Trump

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19745 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
The Constitution requires a President to take care that the Laws of the United States be carefully executed, not his political rivals.

Wow! Does this apply to democrats?

Like our borders?

Drug laws?

Firearms laws?

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you mean drug possession.

if they found a baggie of coke in your house it's yours.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

Wow! Does this apply to democrats?

Like our borders?

Drug laws?

Firearms laws?

Asylum has been part of our Law for a very long time, I am not aware of any unlawful action the Biden Administration has taken on drugs or firearms.

A very good Bill strengthening the President's ability to tighten the border and process asylum claims more quickly, along with assistance to Ukraine resisting Russia's invasion, came out of the Senate on a bi-partisan vote but was killed in the House on Trump's orders because he doesn't want the border situation improved.

So the Ukraine aid passed separately.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
Well, a POTUS should have immunity for official acts done in his capacity as POTUS. A POTUS shouldn't have immunity for sedition, falsification of business records, election interference, etc.

Exactly!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66986 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, they shouldn't. Any American President is required to perform their duties within the Law; thus there is no need for immunity from criminal prosecution because any criminal acts are, by definition, outside the duties of a President and therefore subject to prosecution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is ridiculous. I will do anything within my power to prevent any Democrat from being elected to any office. Is that election interference?

On the other hand, is requiring a presidential candidate to sit in a trumped up trial so he can't campaign election interference? Pretty much the definition of it. But no prosecutions there.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
This is ridiculous. I will do anything within my power to prevent any Democrat from being elected to any office. Is that election interference?

On the other hand, is requiring a presidential candidate to sit in a trumped up trial so he can't campaign election interference? Pretty much the definition of it. But no prosecutions there.

Didn't a prior judge say that running for office is purely an optional activity on his part? Nobody is requiring him or anyone else to do it so therefore he should be afforded no special privileges or accommodations just because he chose to be a candidate. The court has NO DUTY to provide him with campaign time. So no, they are NOT interfering in any election. Running for office is NOT a government mandated activity!!!

When are people going to understand that trump's legal woes are his own doing and nobody else's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This trial and the publicity related to it are far more valuable to trump than any campaigning he might be doing right now. As evidenced by your wadded-up panties.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you were doing everything to ensure that a democrat would not be elected, we wouldn’t have Trump leading the ticket.

IMO, too many republicans are more interested in punishing the democrats than they are about either winning elections or putting the country into a more conservative direction.

A RINO is certainly more conservative than a democrat, yet the GOP keeps flushing reasonable moderates in pursuit of folks who appeal to a very small but vocal base.

That the democrats do it as well is a nonissue for republicans.

While a extremist demagogue can attract support short term, long term it’s not effective.

Trump is facing pretty much one of only two democrats of any stature he has a chance of beating. (The other is HRC.)

Biden is facing the only prominent Republican he can beat. (Well if you call MTG or Boebert prominent then one of 3.)

Our political system is somewhat broken right now. None of the bozos want to serve, they all want to demand.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This trial and the publicity related to it are far more valuable to trump than any campaigning he might be doing right now. As evidenced by your wadded-up panties.

You actually are not wrong this good for him. People love a martyr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not everyone.

The persecution syndrome or delusion is strong in Trumpsters.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
quote:

Not everyone.

The persecution syndrome or delusion is strong in Trumpsters.

Joan of Arc would disagree. people that feel left out will put their stock in anything. the scary thing here is that 51% may feel left out. I like to read the 538 polls, much to my chagrin trump looks solid. I have a hard time closing my eyes and seeing him winning but this deal is not a shrinking violet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zebrazapper:
quote:
quote:

I don't think it makes him more popular or less. This shit is a blip on the radar screen compared to J6 and to trying to overturn the result of a general election through lies and fraud.

Trumptards aren't changing their minds about trump no matter what happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I disagree. The middle, that 3-5 percent, of the GOP and Indies have some number that are waiting to see if President Trump is convicted.

Assuming President Trump can obtain jury verdicts that repudiate his responsibility for all these alleged acts, that jury nullification of responsibility shall be felt at the polls.

I would not have brought this NY state case given the alleged facts. I understand it, but it is trying to splice together a scheme.

Bottom of the Line: A win for President Trump in courts of justice being state or federal is a win in the voting populace. Winnipeg has it deadlocked at 37 percent. The whole things teetering on the razor’s edge. What side of the edge President Trump slips to will have an impact.

His political and moral responsibility is solidified in my eyes. That is a complicated argument that has not been embraced by a majority. A seal of legal innocence is not going to make that argument more competing the face of those who are doubtful to mostly convinced that these prosecutions are reaching (at best).

The margin is that close as see it today. It will give some GOP leaning voters reason, justification to permit themselves to vote for the man.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You kind of hit the nail on the head.

I also agree he should be held morally and politically responsible.

Unfortunately, the Democrats have pushed this into the legal realm.

This invites some to see him as a martyr and (IMO, correctly) as a political prosecution. Admittedly, I don’t have access to everything the prosecutor does, and maybe there is more there than what has been released publicly. However, to the nonlawyer it very much seems political… of course, not prosecuting would also seem political to the left- but I always thought American jurisprudence was to favor innocence and the history has been (and you like to use Edwards) that finding a national level politician guilty is rather extraordinary.

Trump deserves to lose in the political arena. That is where the fight should be.

You are a prosecutor. You have opined that this particular trial should not have happened.

Why did it, if the law is supposedly so straightforward?

Politics.

quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I disagree. The middle, that 3-5 percent, of the GOP and Indies have some number that are waiting to see if President Trump is convicted.

Assuming President Trump can obtain jury verdicts that repudiate his responsibility for all these alleged acts, that jury nullification of responsibility shall be felt at the polls.

I would not have brought this NY state case given the alleged facts. I understand it, but it is trying to splice together a scheme.

Bottom of the Line: A win for President Trump in courts of justice being state or federal is a win in the voting populace. Winnipeg has it deadlocked at 37 percent. The whole things teetering on the razor’s edge. What side of the edge President Trump slips to will have an impact.

His political and moral responsibility is solidified in my eyes. That is a complicated argument that has not been embraced by a majority. A seal of legal innocence is not going to make that argument more competing the face of those who are doubtful to mostly convinced that these prosecutions are reaching (at best).

The margin is that close as see it today. It will give some GOP leaning voters reason, justification to permit themselves to vote for the man.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one being NY, in my view, is the weakest of the cases. The strongest is the documents case which absolutely should be brought.

This NY state case is very complicated. It hinges upon this scheme to hide something that one must prove was an unreported, excessive in amount campaign contribution.

The goods may be there. In good faith, I believe the prosecution team believed they have sufficient evidence to rebut the presumption. It seems rather complicated to me, and the more complicated it is the harder it is to explain. Sometimes, the juice is not with the squeeze.

A cynic with no proof would say, that a NY York state convictions does two things: 1 being a state conviction it narrows the scope of appealable issues, and 2assuming a conviction is upheld, a dem governor from the State of NY will never pardon President Trump.

A Dem President or Dem Republican President may very well pardon a federal conviction. Likewise, a GOP Gov in GA might pardon a state conviction.

Now, I am not a cynic. I have seen no evidence the above is the case. However, one should always rationalize like the opposition. A task I had in my first year of law school was to write the opposition brief.

Like I posted about 404b, what we are seeing is testimony of a common plan and motivate to use monies to benefit the campaign. That is is the play that hooks the felony. Statute of Limitations issues not withstanding. I am not competent to address that issue. We do not have SOLs for felonies on KY.

Surely, the trial judge has and can deal with the alleged SOL issue. That would be a matter of law for him to adjudicate. Assuming, the SOL has not been tolled or extended by the misdemeanors that require the jury to make an affirmative finding. Thus, I assume that issue is not in serious play.

Why do I think this case was brought believing it to be weak. I believe the case was brought bc the prosecution team in good faith believe they can prove the elements of the crimes beyond a reasonable doubt. I think given the complexity of the matter to reward that is a tall ask. We shall see. I respect the jury verdict. I reiterate that President Trump is currently as innocent of this as I am. I have never been to nor done business in NY.

The appellate courts are going to have to find an error in law, a piece of evidence or testimony that was admitted that was prejudicial error to admit over objection, or a federal right (such as the right to effective assistance of counsel that Justice Thomas got a majority opinion neutering that specific incorporated federal right last year or so). A jury’s factual findings may only be set aside over a very high burden of no sufficient evidence existed for a reasonable juror to so conclude. That the appellate court might or could decide a factual issue differently shall not suffice to overturn.

That is the most honest answer I can give.

In conclusion, the more the judge or jury has to think the harder it is to rebut the presumption, to make them comfortable to walk down the line w you to strip someone, effectively, of their citizenship. Being hard does not mean the prosecution is in bad faith. Being hard means you better be able to tell the story with the permissible tools that lessons the thinking.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one being NY, in my view, is the weakest of the cases. The strongest is the documents case which absolutely should be brought.

This NY state case is very complicated. It hinges upon this scheme to hide something that one must prove was an unreported, excessive in amount campaign contribution.

The goods may be there. In good faith, I believe the prosecution team believed they have sufficient evidence to rebut the presumption. It seems rather complicated to me, and the more complicated it is the harder it is to explain. Sometimes, the juice is not with the squeeze.

A cynic with no proof would say, that a NY York state convictions does two things: 1 being a state conviction it narrows the scope of appealable issues, and 2assuming a conviction is upheld, a dem governor from the State of NY will never pardon President Trump.

A Dem President or Dem Republican President may very well pardon a federal conviction. Likewise, a GOP Gov in GA might pardon a state conviction.

Now, I am not a cynic. I have seen no evidence the above is the case. However, one should always rationalize like the opposition. A task I had in my first year of law school was to write the opposition brief.

Like I posted about 404b, what we are seeing is testimony of a common plan and motivate to use monies to benefit the campaign. That is is the play that hooks the felony. Statute of Limitations issues not withstanding. I am not competent to address that issue. We do not have SOLs for felonies on KY.

Surely, the trial judge has and can deal with the alleged SOL issue. That would be a matter of law for him to adjudicate. Assuming, the SOL has not been tolled or extended by the misdemeanors that require the jury to make an affirmative finding. Thus, I assume that issue is not in serious play.

Why do I think this case was brought believing it to be weak. I believe the case was brought bc the prosecution team in good faith believe they can prove the elements of the crimes beyond a reasonable doubt. I think given the complexity of the matter to reward that is a tall ask. We shall see. I respect the jury verdict. I reiterate that President Trump is currently as innocent of this as I am. I have never been to nor done business in NY.

The appellate courts are going to have to find an error in law, a piece of evidence or testimony that was admitted that was prejudicial error to admit over objection, or a federal right (such as the right to effective assistance of counsel that Justice Thomas got a majority opinion neutering that specific incorporated federal right last year or so). A jury’s factual findings may only be set aside over a very high burden of no sufficient evidence existed for a reasonable juror to so conclude. That the appellate court might or could decide a factual issue differently shall not suffice to overturn.

In conclusion, the more the judge or jury has to think the harder it is to rebut the presumption, to make them comfortable to walk down the line w you to strip someone, effectively, of their citizenship. Being hard does not mean the prosecution is in bad faith. Being hard means you better be able to tell the story with the permissible tools that lessons the thinking.

Don't be so sure about that one either...

I posted these in the wrong order, bottom first is correct.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Are you agreeing with the ridiculous idea that documents were planted at Mar a Lardo? Please tell me you are not. I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that anyone be that fucking stupid.

Posts: 7487 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no doubts about the stupidity or low level stooping on anything political anymore.

especially by those trying to save a 'democracy' while living in a republic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
Are you agreeing with the ridiculous idea that documents were planted at Mar a Lardo? Please tell me you are not. I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that anyone be that fucking stupid.

Yes, yes he is. I am kind of exhausted to deal w this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
I have no doubts about the stupidity or low level stooping on anything political anymore.

Except our Republic is a democracy. A limited, very close to a pure democracy since universal Sulfridge, direct election of Senators, the Supreme Court enshrining one person one vote, and the abolishment of racial gerrymandering as a violation of the federal right to vote.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get so tired of hearing Republicans claim the US is not a democracy but a republic. They're wrong. And even if they weren't, it's a distinction that makes a material difference to what issues?

The US is actually a democratic republic. Ancient Rome was a republic, but not a democratic one. The office of senator wasn't determined by elections, but by inheritance. The office was inherited along with the family name and material goods.

Posts: 6121 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rome had a lower chamber that was elected. The tribunes could even veto the Senate.

Of course, the Senate did everything could to control the body.

I have listed all the individual aspects of our Constitutional system that is democratic vs the insulations of mob rule/ pure democracy before numerous times. There are a lot more democratic aspects. The largest that have moved further to the democracy side are listed above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If convicted in Federal Court why would trump need a pardon as he will likely never do jail time and it doesn't expunge the fact that he was found guilty?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Except our Republic is a democracy. A limited, very close to a pure democracy since universal Sulfridge, direct election of Senators, the Supreme Court enshrining one person one vote, and the abolishment of racial gerrymandering as a violation of the federal right to vote.

Did you mean Suffrage instead of Sulfridge?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do. Why it is capitalizing and changing it ask Apple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
I get so tired of hearing Republicans claim the US is not a democracy but a republic. They're wrong. And even if they weren't, it's a distinction that makes a material difference to what issues?

The US is actually a democratic republic. Ancient Rome was a republic, but not a democratic one. The office of senator wasn't determined by elections, but by inheritance. The office was inherited along with the family name and material goods.

I too get tired of those claiming the US is a republic. It's been explained numerous times herein. Makes no difference, as with other explanations.

The thing is that when someone makes that claim, I automatically think they are one of those sovereign person believers, like Timothy McVeigh.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do. Why it is capitalizing and changing it ask Apple.

Dunno, but if I can get it then so can most others.

Found this with a search.

https://www.ancestry.com/name-...in?surname=sulfridge

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the biggest Trump fan in the world, but he's a hell of a lot better than Biden. And I could care less about what a New York jury or a biased prosecutor and judge thinks.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You very well may be right. I have a great deal of difficulty understanding how the trumptard or potential trumptard mind works....

My point was that if in the mind of any voter, trump wasn't disqualified to serve as POTUS by the events on J6, that voter damn sure isn't going to care about falsification of business records or tax fraud.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...f87c04fd6069fb&ei=21

"This is literally the plan": Psaki reveals why Trump immunity case isn't hypothetical

Jen Psaki outlines how Donald Trump's above-the-law view of the presidency reflects his plans for a second term.

XXX