Notify
Tools

Immigration Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I am fine with ICE raiding employers to identify and detain illegal aliens and sanction employers.

Appears we have a philosophical difference of opinion. I believe countries should have borders. I believe countries should control their borders and access across those borders. I believe immigration should not be and cannot be unlimited. I believe that just because someone has a tough situation in their home country and wants to come to the US that is not a viable reason to immigrate. I believe that the US should prioritize immigration focusing on immigrants that are educated, financially stable, possessing needed skills or training, etc. I believe that any immigrant guilty of a crime, unable or unwilling to support themself or their families should be deported. I do not believe that the US should become the repository of the world’s poor and uneducated, we have enough of that to deal with as it is without doubling down on it. Pretty sure my beliefs are reflective of those shared by a majority of Americans.

Oh, and I do not need a history lesson on the US and immigration and what happened or took place a century ago with immigration. My belief is that the country’s situation, and the world situation, are materially different today than at the turn of the last century. What made sense as an immigration policy then, is not the solution today.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:

What terrorists? Cite me something. Even if there was some sort of statistical support for the assertion, it could have happened anytime in the last 30 years.... The last time terrorists came into the country and killed a bunch of Americans, they didn't come from Mexico.

https://www.capito.senate.gov/...y%2C%20Capito%20said.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Seems to me they're doing a great job of apprehending them.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:

Seems to me they're doing a great job of apprehending them.

yep - close enough ... only no one on the planet thinks the CBP are interacting with even half ... world of the day, "close enough" is gottaways or get aways ... i know, i know, i can't teach you anything .. your mind is made up and facts won't change it

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
Can I just ask again....all our friends that want to enforce the border.

So, how about ICE starts inspecting work locations for illegal workers? And starts citing employers who hire illegal workers? I could take ICE to ten locations in the DFW area today where homes are being built by undocumented immigrants. Just by driving around North Dallas.

Long silence.

That is a FANTASTIC idea!!!!!!

Start JAILING employers that knowingly hire illegals!

The laws are in place, ENFORCE them!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
But then WHO will mow Mitchell's lawn? Trim his shrubs? Make his burritos? Nanny his children?
Clean his house? Put new shingles on his house? Pick his strawberries...

For a low wage.

So low a wage that 'Americans' won't do those jobs.

Gawd.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Republicans absolutely do not want to solve the problems on the border for political reasons, and admit it:

quote:
“Let me tell you, I’m not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden’s approval rating,” Rep. Troy Nehls, a Texas Republican, told CNN.

Link

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . neither do the Dems, and they prove it every day as they allow chaos to exist on the southern border.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . neither do the Dems, and they prove it every day as they allow chaos to exist on the southern border.

They can't pass Laws on their own, unfortunately, and Republicans see the prospect of a Biden re-election as a bigger crisis than anything happening on the border.

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:

They can't pass Laws on their own, unfortunately, and Republicans see the prospect of a Biden re-election as a bigger crisis than anything happening on the border.

. . . no laws need to be passed, the Administration needs to enforce the existing laws. Perhaps you do not appreciate, when the far right takes positions at odds with reality and regurgitates the GOP line, they lose credibility . . . the same applies when those on the left ask folks to ignore reality and enjoy a big bowl of Dem bullshit. Both come across as nothing more than hacks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

. . . no laws need to be passed, the Administration needs to enforce the existing laws. Perhaps you do not appreciate, when the far right takes positions at odds with reality and regurgitates the GOP line, they lose credibility . . . the same applies when those on the left ask folks to ignore reality and enjoy a big bowl of Dem bullshit. Both come across as nothing more than hacks.

Biden has asked, twice, for the funding to do just that by hiring more agents and asylum judges, to no avail.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . and has issued a number of Executive Orders that exacerbate the immigration problem. Your efforts to paint the Administration as vigorous defenders of border integrity are no less disingenuous than efforts of those on the right to paint January 6 as a Capitol tour that got a little out of hand. Our collective inability to call a spade a spade is a big reason we find ourselves in the collective mess we are in.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . and has issued a number of Executive Orders that exacerbate the immigration problem. Your efforts to paint the Administration as vigorous defenders of border integrity are no less disingenuous than efforts of those on the right to paint January 6 as a Capitol tour that got a little out of hand. Our collective inability to call a spade a spade is a big reason we find ourselves in the collective mess we are in.

Specifically what EOs do you imagine "exacerbate" the problem?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In Biden’s first year in office he issued almost 300 executive orders on immigration. Largely aimed at reversing prior policies aimed at restricting immigration. Find someone else to play twenty questions with, I am not interested. As I alluded to above, you and Lane have more in common than you would both ever care to admit.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Biden’s first year in office he issued almost 300 executive orders on immigration. Largely aimed at reversing prior policies aimed at restricting immigration. Find someone else to play twenty questions with, I am not interested. As I alluded to above, you and Lane have more in common than you would both ever care to admit.

Did you get that number from Ann or just pull it out of your ass?

quote:
As of December 22, 2023, President Joe Biden (D) had signed 128 executive orders, 164 presidential memoranda, 543 proclamations, and 109 notices.

Link

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . poor choice of words on my part. Should have said executive actions.

"During his first 364 days as president, Biden took 296 executive actions on immigration—as compared to 86 during Trump's first year and 472 during the entire Trump presidency, analysts Muzaffar Chishti and Jessica Bolter write in a new article for MPI’s online journal, the Migration Information Source."

Link

Find another patsy to play with. Like I said, you and Lane have a lot in common. Faithful defenders of the party line . . . independent thinkers, not so much.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

"During his first 364 days as president, Biden took 296 executive actions on immigration—as compared to 86 during Trump's first year and 472 during the entire Trump presidency, analysts Muzaffar Chishti and Jessica Bolter write in a new article for MPI’s online journal, the Migration Information Source."

Link

Find another patsy to play with. Like I said, you and Lane have a lot in common. Faithful defenders of the party line . . . independent thinkers, not so much.

Mostly undoing Trump's shit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Link

Did you read beyond the first paragraph?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I encourage everyone to read the article.

Link

“As Biden works to undo many of Trump’s changes and craft an immigration system that meets his priorities and those of his allies, the system’s ability to withstand and adapt to partisan pendulum swings will surely be tested.”

No one who takes the time to read the article will come away with the impression that the existing Administration is serious about controlling the border.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stripped of details, there are desperate people standing in the rain at the river, waiting for the guards to go home for the night.
What do we do? Shoot them, put up barriers, transplant alligators to the Rio Grande? Try to fix conditions in the countries they left?
What?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

Stripped of details, there are desperate people standing in the rain at the river, waiting for the guards to go home for the night.
What do we do? Shoot them, put up barriers, transplant alligators to the Rio Grande? Try to fix conditions in the countries they left?
What?

To be crass, why is that my problem? There are poor people all over the world that would prefer to live in the US versus the shithole where they currently live. Seriously it is not the job of Americans and America to solve all the world’s problems when we have plenty of unresolved problems already at home. Sometimes even the compassionate have to be dispassionate when facing tough problems.

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What?

if there is 1 homeless vet, we are full -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftxu8yQ1NaI

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a bill in the House that has 19 Dem and 9 Republican Co-Sponsors called the Dignity Act. It is authored by a GOP Congresswoman from Florida. It cannot get to the Floor because of the Speaker.

Does it solve everything; probably not. Is it a better idea then do nothing and a legal means of addressing our issue; yes.

I am not going to post the whole thing as Fed Legislation is horrible to go through line by line, but here is a Susan’s source of e summary:

The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress, and was published on Oct 16, 2023.

Dignity for Immigrants while Guarding our Nation to Ignite and Deliver the American Dream Act of 2023 or as the DIGNIDAD (Dignity) Act of 2023

This bill addresses immigration-related issues, such as increasing hiring for U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) personnel and providing removal deferral for eligible non-U.S. nationals (aliens under federal law).

For example, the bill

requires the hiring of additional CBP personnel and authorizes recruitment, relocation, and retention bonuses for CBP personnel; provides funding for border infrastructure and equipment; makes it a crime to transmit the location of law enforcement with the intent to violate immigration laws or certain other federal laws; requires employers to verify the immigration status of individuals using an electronic employment eligibility confirmation system modeled after the E-Verify system; requires unaccompanied alien children to be processed and reunited with U.S.-based sponsors in accordance with the Flores settlement, which established policies pertaining to the treatment of minors without lawful immigration status; requires the Department of State to implement a strategy to address the key factors contributing to individuals from Central America traveling to the United States; provides a path to permanent resident status to eligible individuals without lawful immigration status who entered the United States as minors (commonly referred to as Dreamers); establishes the Dignity Program, which defers the removal of eligible individuals without lawful immigration status who meet various requirements, including paying into a fund to provide training to U.S. workers; and establishes the Redemption Program, which provides a path to permanent resident status to individuals who complete the Dignity Program and meet various requirements, including making additional payments into the U.S. worker fund.

Those interested can go do further reading. Agains, I have no use for anyone of any party that does not want to put forth a solution that is acceptable to both parties. That means compromise.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What?

To be crass, why is that my problem? There are poor people all over the world that would prefer to live in the US versus the shithole where they currently live. Seriously it is not the job of Americans and America to solve all the world’s problems when we have plenty of unresolved problems already at home. Sometimes even the compassionate have to be dispassionate when facing tough problems.

Concur again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Biden has asked, twice, for the funding to do just that by hiring more agents and asylum judges, to no avail.

More agents for his catch and release program and more judges to grant the criminals asylum.

No dice!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What?

Yes Sir!

We certainly share common ground there!