Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Pig Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I know it is still on the menu in select areas of Africa. Anyone here ever tried it, wittingly or unwittingly, or observed it being served?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where? I'd doubt that, too many witnesses to keep THAT a secret anywhere in the world.

Rich
you have a knack, I'll give you that!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
How is this related to hunting in Africa?

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
donttroll

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Why, Anne - Man , the greatest game on earth...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I knew what "it" was I could tell you if I have eaten "it".

My guess is that it has something to do with animal genetalia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elton Rambin:
donttroll

What's wrong with a bit of levity?

Things can get crushingly boring around here without it. coffee

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Oh, I know what long pig is. Has nothing to do with African hunting. Long pig is another term for humans. Cannibalism.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubt if it still exists in Africa...I could be wrong, being far from an expert, but it is still found in regions of the island of New Guinea, a place that makes even the most primitive parts of Africa look cosmopolitan by comparison.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Oh, I know what long pig is. Has nothing to do with African hunting. Long pig is another term for humans. Cannibalism.

Thanks for the explanation Ann.

I'd prefer mine medium rare.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
quote:
donttroll

Absolutely nothing and it still is a question that I am curious about.

Either John Hunter or John Burger (can't remember which, exactly) wrote about his boys eating it in camp. I know it is still served in the Congo. I wonder where else?

Another question.....

Who here would try it if it was offered?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chobe Bushbuck:
quote:
quote:
donttroll

Absolutely nothing and it still is a question that I am curious about.

Either John Hunter or John Burger (can't remember which, exactly) wrote about his boys eating it in camp. I know it is still served in the Congo. I wonder where else?

Another question.....

Who here would try it if it was offered?

It was John Hunter and he did (unknowingly) partake. It was a stew made from arm. Probably not the best cut, but tasty all the same.

Depending on the circumstances, many of us would. Choicest cuts only, please. stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bell also alluded to it in his book on African Safari
I believe it was attributed to the Abyssinians he and half of Africa at the time were wary of.
I will look again tonight when I settle in for my read for the evening.
Dylan also alluded to it in his review of Desolation Row and some hungry women there.
Yes you are correct that a bit of levity however misplaced at times can be a bit of fun.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
It will always go on somewhere, and for different reasons:
1)survival in the absence of other food, and the presence of human corpses. Could happen anywhere.
2) sheer meaness and macho behavior in certain, primarily Hispanic drug cultures and Russian Mafiosa.
3) as a way to honor the dead and to provide protein and fat for the tribe--as in New Guinea. The spongiform encephalopathy like Mad-Cow, called Kuru, is transmitted in this fashion.
4) As a tribal cultural phenomenum in certain warlike South Pacific, South American, and SE Asian Tribes accustomed to eating captives.
5)As a trick of cooking the slain members of another's household and served to them unknowingly for revenge or intimidation, primarily in the Middle East
6)In Africa, thru various forms of all the above reasons.
7) Thru Devil worship or sexual perversion or psychosis in the civilized countries.

There may be others.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chobe Bushbuck:
I know it is still on the menu in select areas of Africa. Anyone here ever tried it, wittingly or unwittingly, or observed it being served?

I... Well.... hmmm.... Could it...... I think.... Not sure... DAMN ! nevermind.

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Doubt if it still exists in Africa...I could be wrong, being far from an expert, but it is still found in regions of the island of New Guinea, a place that makes even the most primitive parts of Africa look cosmopolitan by comparison.

It is still a problem in some of the West African countries, especially among witch doctors. There was a csae posted here on AR a short while ago, about a woman having Human biltong.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dam I'm glad ya'll cleared that up for me at first I thought I was going to have to wear my iron drawers to protect little willy Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I remember that when I was working in Equatorial Guinea near 20 years ago it was a problem in some areas. I think it was related to some religious thing.

But maybe they were just stories...

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo= in that area there not just stories it is a well documented fact that folks get eaten in that area

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always heard "it" referred to as long pork.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
What I was told was that if somweone died in some remote areas, there was chances that some people ate some parts of the body thinking that they will receive the strength of the previous owner or similar things.

There was an US embassy down there...I remember that I was asked to present "my papers" and to tell what I was doing there...Roll Eyes

Obviously I did it Big Grin

There was an american oil company pumping oil, a chinease fishing float, an italian company taking wood from the forest and not much other activity...

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprrised that a New Guinea pidgin English expression has found its way to an Africa forum. Yes, as Ann has noted, it refers to humans. If nearly two centuries of European colonialism covering (before the 20th Century even opened -all of interior Africa)still hasn't eradicated the remotest idea of practicing cannibalism - then all missionaries and military and District officers failed miserably. I don't think they did.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And then there was Donner Pass....

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RBHunt:

Eating people to survive (as the Donner Party did) should be different from eating people as a ceremony or after warfare. (Yes, Texas, I do agree that humans can be driven to cannibalism -but even in New Guinea, the Aussies set out to wipe it out even as a cultural practice after WW2 -and, hopefully have succeeded)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
I'm surprrised that a New Guinea pidgin English expression has found its way to an Africa forum. Yes, as Ann has noted, it refers to humans. If nearly two centuries of European colonialism covering (before the 20th Century even opened -all of interior Africa)still hasn't eradicated the remotest idea of practicing cannibalism - then all missionaries and military and District officers failed miserably. I don't think they did.

"Missionaries and military and District officers" have turned failing miserably into an art form. It's what they do best.

Cannibalism is alive and well in Africa, always will be.

I bet it tastes better than water buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a book somewhere in my library that I bought in Reno, Nevada after visiting Donner Pass, I believe it is called the "Donner Party". It is one of the most frightening and shocking books I have ever read about a true event. The starvation faced there was so bad as to be unbelievable. I seem to recall that one of the Indians who hiked in through the snow to bring some food and try to help them get out hightailed it out of there, because the way the people were looking at him, and whispering!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious that someone who doesn't even identify from where in the world he hails can make such a sweeping statement. Do you mean that all Christian missionaries failed so "miserably". Did all District officers fail so "miserably" in bringing savage peoples into civilation? Or are you simply a left winger who never would acknowledge that white people could ever have done anything that tried to lift black savages out of their (forgive the word) "misery"?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

"Missionaries and military and District officers" have turned failing miserably into an art form. It's what they do best.

Cannibalism is alive and well in Africa, always will be.

I bet it tastes better than water buck.

I have a 1st edition of something 'r other that shows a photo of some fellows around a New Guinea campfire, roasting a leg. ....seems kinda silly to me. The ribs are the best part.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
"taste like veal" Simba natoka Tsavo said to John Henry Patterson. Patterson replied "I heard it tasted like pork"

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasjohn:
"taste like veal" Simba natoka Tsavo

Well, at least nobody said it "taste like chicken"! Seriously though, I recall that someone wrote that they had experienced it in the Amazon rain forest, and it tasted just like pork.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several cases have been and where reported out of the Congo couple of years ago, seems some of the invaders thought that Pygmy where good, when i did my time in the RVN, up in the hills there where still several old timers among the Rhade and Hmong that where fond of Long Pig, they served us some unrecognizable, meat it was hot and spicy, if it was didn't care at the time,don't now,,can't be much different than eating any of the great apes

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am curious that someone who doesn't even identify from where in the world he hails can make such a sweeping statement. Do you mean that all Christian missionaries failed so "miserably". Did all District officers fail so "miserably" in bringing savage peoples into civilation? Or are you simply a left winger who never would acknowledge that white people could ever have done anything that tried to lift black savages out of their (forgive the word) "misery"?

I probably didn't make myself clear.

Christian missionaries (in fact all bloody missionaries for that matter) are generally a bunch of pseudo do-gooders who have the arrogance to think that they have the right to travel around the globe shoving fucking religion down other peoples throats, who by the way never asked for it in the first place, just because they think their way is the right way!! YES they are failures.

Is that any clearer for you? coffee

As for District officers, holy shit, where's the success in "bringing savage people into civilization"? homer Another mob of failures!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Christian missionaries (in fact all bloody missionaries for that matter) are generally a bunch of pseudo do-gooders who have the arrogance to think that they have the right to travel around the globe shoving fucking religion down other peoples throats, who by the way never asked for it in the first place, just because they think their way is the right way!! YES they are failures.

As for District officers, holy shit, where's the success in "bringing savage people into civilization"? homer Another mob of failures!!

missionaries couldn't have failed that bad. everywhere you find land you can find a christian

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aussie21:
quote:
quote:

missionaries couldn't have failed that bad. everywhere you find land you can find a christian

You call that success? Confused

I think you might find that your mob are starting to be outnumbered by another mob, if you count numbers as success. Wink

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Having relatives who have spent years as Christian Missionaries (are there any other kind?) building schools, hospitals, developing clean water systems, and providing medical care to some of the incredibly backward societies of New Guinea and West Africa--while they themselves were becoming victims of Dengue Fever, parasites, and malaria , all while being exposed to the hatred of the witch-doctors, shamans, corrupt gov't officials, and occasional violent savage, and then on return being subject to the anti-Christian stance of the MSM and Hollywood(all controlled ultimately by deniers of Christ)--I take exception to your statement.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, did you hear about the cannibal who passed his neighbor in the bush?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, did you hear about the cannibal who passed his neighbor in the bush?

Big Grin

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote