THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Not sure where to post this: I had guns stolen and need advice

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure where to post this: I had guns stolen and need advice Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Hi, I'm pretty distraught and thought you guys might have legal advice.

I rent a house with two buddies,from one of the buddy's older sister. She has homeowner's insurance, and my parents have an individual policy on my firearms, but they were not at my parents house.

There were about $7500 of guns taken, and I do not have renter's insurance. I just graduated college and this is about half the money I've ever spent on firearms, not to mention the sentimental value. If anyone has been in a similar situation I was hoping for some advice.

Thanks everyone

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler
It still may be covered my home owners policy covers my firearms for loss world wide.

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously you filed a police report and reported the serial numbers?

As mentioned, I'd check the homeowner's insurance but I don't hold out much hope. However, your parents policy on your guns might work. Let's hope so.

I am sorry for your loss, something similar happened to me at about your age. I got some insurance money but the sentimental value was irreplaceable. From then on, I trained myself to like guns, but not to love them.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Police report is filed, and working on insurance claims now. Police really didn't seem to give a damn, and said the fingerprints I found (they couldn't find "any") would take at least a year to run. What a joke.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,my dad had a rifle stolen out of his pickup. Over a year later I found it in a pawn shop. One block from police station. It had been there the whole time. You are correct, they seem to care less.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
If you're an NRA member, check with them. I can't recall, but your membership may have come with a small ($1000) gun theft policy.

Posts: 1245 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your loss Tyler.We've all been hit like this;makes you mad as hell.On my ocurans the pistols were never recovered (probably went to Mexico +/or Ireland). Somewhat related but not totally the same I think this will give you a smile.A friend of mine in Houston lived in an appartment complex + was constantly having his CB radios stolen out of his truck. The last occurance happened when he brazed treble hooks onto the top of his CB radio.Needless to say he found the culprit still under the dash in the morning;hung up he was.After a little therapy with a Louisville Slugger he took the lad out by cutting the barbs off flush + drug him to the curb for the trashman or any interested parties to pick up. True story that.I hope it raised your heart a little + really hope your items are recovered. Don't get me started on the cops,I could write a column.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with NRA insurance is that if there is NO physical break-in damage you will NOT get paid a dime. Sorry for your loss. BTDT twice and got 2 t-shirts for my troubles.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
A friend had a saying about such occurrence . . .

"Look for a friend, or a friend of a friend."

Sometimes it is just a random occurrence though.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
pm sent...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler Kemp sorry for your loss. I hope you get a fair amount of your money back. When you do, invest in a quality safe then work on rebuilding your collection. If there is too much traffic with room mates and their acquaintances, find a secure storage locker with climate control. Place your safe and valuables inside and keep it a secret. Place value on peace of mind and best of luck to you.
Norman love your story. Talk about poetic justice.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Ty,

Long time my friend. So sorry about your loss. I doubt your folk's insurance will help as you no longer live with them as a permanent residence. More than likely it was someone that was let into your house by you or a room mate to know that you had them. Check the local pawn shops and gun shops that take guns in trade. Print up a flyer with gun descriptions and serial numbers. Say there's "a reward".

I doubt the police will do much other than wait to see if one is recovered in a crime. At least if it is, and they "run" the s/n, you should get it back.

A good friend of mine had a rifle stolen and recovered many years later. One day out of the blue, the cops called him and told him they "recovered your rifle". He had forgotten all about it, since it was like 15 years previous. But finally, someone took it in to a pawn shop and tried to sell it when it came up flagged stolen.

I believe once they go in the data base as stolen, they never expire out of the system... so maybe one day you'll recover some or all of them.

Get. A. Safe.

And even though we get passionate about our hobbies and guns... Not EVERYONE that comes to visit needs to know you have them, what they are, and where you keep them.

Best of luck, and I hope you get them back.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that two out of four guns have been recovered. Not really hopeful on anything else. I had called every gun and pawn shop within a hundred miles, and a guy tried to take one of my guns in and got busted. So far three people have been arrested involved in the theft of my stuff.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear some assholes got arrested for this. Sorry about the crazy shit you had to go through. How much are you still out in terms of a loss?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
Just wanted to let everyone know that two out of four guns have been recovered. Not really hopeful on anything else. I had called every gun and pawn shop within a hundred miles, and a guy tried to take one of my guns in and got busted. So far three people have been arrested involved in the theft of my stuff.

Very good news!! Not great, but maybe the perps will give up the other 2 guns for a lesser charge? Did you know them or how did they pick your place out?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BATFE does not care. I had a rifle stolen out of state. I even furnished the agency with all info on the rifle and even the name of the thieve. They said file a civil case. The Dodge City Police Dept. arrested the guy. I got a damaged barreled action back. He was also charged with the theft of another at the same time. They took a plea and let him go. I asked about my loss. They said part of the plea was to pay myself and the other guy our losses. They also said he would start paying when he got a job. You know what don't you. I will receive not a dime!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Good news about the guns you got back. Hope the others will surface soon too. Only good thing is usually the thieves aren't very smart about it.

Was there any connection with the thieves? You or your room mates know them?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news. Buy a safe.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote