New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bicyclist rant Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
I live in an area with lots of cyclists. I know it's great excercise. I know they are legally a motor vehicle. I don't mind "sharing the road", but I get the distinct impression from a lot of them that they'd prefer me to give up the road while they are riding. They blast through stop signs and red lights, righteously expecting every car driver to make adjustments 'cause they're coming through. They don't wave, they don't look at the countryside around them, they just seem to be, as I call it, in the "church of me." Years ago you'd toot your horn lightly to let them know that you're there and passing, but nowadays that just pisses 'em off.

Ok, I feel better now. Some avid rider set me straight. Have traffic laws changed and I missed it?

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Same everywhere.....they're "green" and you're not....so get out of our way....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Do they not have grill guards for trucks where ya'll live? bewildered

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I used to ride a bicycle for exercise, but tried to go where the traffic was very low volume, like at the inactive military base. Bicycling is a high-injury rate sport. Bicycler versus motor-vehicle usually means surgery or funeral.
There really are a lot of ass-hole Greenies who love bicycling, but a fair number of good-guy hunters, too.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
I am against people riding the roads on something that does not pay a road usage fee. My tags and gas purchases give me the right to use the road as my machine payed for it. If they want to ride the roads at their own risk so be it. Get over and let motor vehicle traffic proceed safely. Their is nothing like motoring along on a back country road at the 45mph posted speed and rounding a corner and there they are 2 abreast with oncoming traffic. Then they sneer at you because you are using their road. I totally agree with you Cazador.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most think they own the road and aren't to share it.

A well timed stomp to the floor results in a large black cloud of diesel exhaust...or so say some of my friends.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Having had surgery for an open fracture, shoulder separation, and lacerations, all due to drivers of autos failing to watch, I would encourage all to be circumspect regarding behavior of cyclists. Some of us are hunters.

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve- I do try very hard to watch every move they make and I wouldn't want to hurt anybody, especially a fellow hunter, even if I do have a grillguard Daniel77, and sadly, my pickup isn't a diesel. 'Just think it's a bit much to ask the general public in automobiles to alter all traffic laws and sometimes endanger themselves for the sake of some arrogant, inconsiderate jerk that wants to show off how tight his bicycle pants are. It's one of those joys of modern driving, like the car with the Christian icthus symbol on the trunk that cuts you off in traffic, the teenager texting going 50 in the left lane of the interstate, and the motorcycle that's just a blur going around you, but you're suppose to "Watchout for motorcycles!"

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,
Great topic, I am a very serious cyclist. I ride up to 200 mile a week both on the road and on MTB's (mountain bikes) I've been riding and racing for almost 20 years. And Cazador........you are correct, for the most part they are arrogant greenies. I don't really get along with most of them. Especially when they ask me why I have the African Big 5 tattoo'd on my calves. The starting line discussions are rather ammusing at times.
And I never ever ever give a fu%$&n inch.
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
...inconsiderate jerk that wants to show off how tight his bicycle pants are.

Every sport has its particular attire. But cyclists seem to have every square inch covered with some sort of advertisement. What's up with that?

I don't live too far from a velodrome. A wonderful place for those types to get their jollies. But it isn't open 24/7 so they gang up and ride the twisty back roads sometimes 50 or more strung out as far as you can see. Cazador you are correct, they are road hogs.

Funnily enough they are akin to the 18 wheel tractor/trailers...sooo slow going up a hill but passing you over the double yellow line going down the other side. They are a real road hazard yet fully protected by the law even though they don't pay for road usage.

One day, in my old age, I'll get fed up with their roadhog antics and nerf one into the ditch.

I feel better getting that rant off my chest!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Well ,I ride as much as I can,but I am lucky that I have miles of bike trails close to my house,so I dont have to share the road much.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a mountain bike about six weeks ago. I ride mine on the trails out in the desert. I have to ride a bit of public road to get out there, but I always stay as far right as I can. I expect the four-wheelers to drive by too closely, trying to shake me. I always feel better once I'm off the pavement...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I bought a mountain bike about six weeks ago. I ride mine on the trails out in the desert. I have to ride a bit of public road to get out there, but I always stay as far right as I can. I expect the four-wheelers to drive by too closely, trying to shake me. I always feel better once I'm off the pavement...

Homebrew,
Where in the desert do you live?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tucson seems to be the Mecca for street cyclists.. They're everywhere here...

Great sport but too many get whacked around here annually for me to give it a go.. Besides, the mountains and National Forests and Parks are on every side of the city to get offroad and enjoy the desert all the way to the pines on the endless miles of trails.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i really love their little spandex shorts going down the road with the bike seat crammed up their azz. makes me want to take a BB gun and see how fast they can really pedal BOOM shocker

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i really love their little spandex shorts going down the road with the bike seat crammed up their azz. makes me want to take a BB gun and see how fast they can really pedal BOOM shocker

Butch,
That's an ridiculous thing to say. My cycling has made me a MUCH better hunter, I can walk 20 miles after buff for 10 days straight and show no wear at all.
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just run over one a week. The best part: that funky seat causes impotence in a lot of cases.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Why is it that two, obviously fat out of shape old guys have a problem with fit, trim guys who hunt as well?

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:

Homebrew,
Where in the desert do you live?

Nevada. Small town out in the sticks...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rich you should appreciate this - where we go PD shooting is not far from billings, little town nearby. every year these californians living in the area have this bike ride and every year the rancher the day before they go through runs a bunch of cattle from a nice green pasture down the road to another pasture. these dudes ride through all that nice fresh stuff and by the time they get to town they have this stripe up their backs. whole little town is in on it and have a good laugh wondering how long it will take them to wise up

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
The spandex has several useful functions. Going downhill at 35-50 MPH, it doesn't flair out and make a sail like a pair of bermudas would. Pedaling 60-100 rpm for 20-200 miles per day, one needs something slick to keep from wearing blisters in painful places.

The Tour de France starts next Saturday. It is usually well covered each morning on one of the satellite TV channels. They ride thru some of the most beautiful parts of the Alps and the Pyrenees. They have cameras on helicopters, air-balloons, cars, and motorcycles. 2000+ miles over 20 some days with 180 riders, usually averaging about 25 MPH. Lance Armstrong, the American who won 7 times before retirement, came back last year and got 3rd place. He's primed and ready, although at age 38, it will be difficult to match the endurance of the fastest younger guys.
The mountains and valleys were where Cro-Magnon and other of our predecessors hunted. More recent castles from the past 1000 years are also usually well shown. I recommend it for viewing.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

posted Hide Post
I have no problem with bicyclists; I have a problem with STUPID bicyclists (and stupid pedestrians and stupid drivers and stupid voters and...well, you get the idea).

You're entitled to your spot on the road, not mine.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
rich you should appreciate this - where we go PD shooting is not far from billings, little town nearby. every year these californians living in the area have this bike ride and every year the rancher the day before they go through runs a bunch of cattle from a nice green pasture down the road to another pasture. these dudes ride through all that nice fresh stuff and by the time they get to town they have this stripe up their backs. whole little town is in on it and have a good laugh wondering how long it will take them to wise up

Funny you say that. We are in a popular area for some cyclists. One thing that always makes me chuckle is when we have cattle turned out on the road to drive a few miles to another field or whatever and encounter cyclists. For people who show no respect for others who use the road, they sure don't like having to stop and get out of the way for a herd to pass or the condition the road is in behind us.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
I recommend it for viewing.

B-O-R-I-N-G

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
I recommend it for viewing.

B-O-R-I-N-G

It's called a remote control

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
quote:

Butch,
That's an ridiculous thing to say. My cycling has made me a MUCH better hunter, I can walk 20 miles after buff for 10 days straight and show no wear at all.
Steve

But walking back must be a bitch, especially with that buff on your back.....I ride a bike as well.....uphill, downhill, all the same to me...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nah......Trackers my friend.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's a group of about 30 cyclists in my area who insist on having a group ride every Thursday night during rush hour traffic. they hold up the traffic flow then don't obey traffic signals/signs. it dosen't endear them to people trying to get home from work.

Posts: 129 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
An automobile can be deadly to cyclists so, like it or not, you must continue to yield to the them.

You need to do everything you can to maintain a clear view of the cyclists. Therefore, always remember to have your windshield washers running as you pass. They'll remember you for it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
An automobile can be deadly to cyclists so, like it or not, you must continue to yield to the them.

You need to do everything you can to maintain a clear view of the cyclists. Therefore, always remember to have your windshield washers running as you pass. They'll remember you for it.

Thank you kind sir for that excellent safety reminder. I shall here to for keep my windshield wash full for that express purpose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nganga,

I passed the test at 14 to get my driver's license. Bicycles are for children.
I drive when I want to go somewhere, and I don't ride a bicycle up alongside a Cape Buffalo and bulldog him; I shoot them with a rifle.
98% of adult bicycle riders in the US are scrotes.
I don't like queers either, or democrats, and I'm not very big on single moms.
As a matter of fact, I'm pretty unimpressed with anybody who doesn't own their home or have a job.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
how dare you mention bicyclists in the same sentence as democrats Mad rotflmo
seriouly though,it works great to lower the blood sugar,and build stamina.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wether they know it or not,in most places,if you use the road,you must obey the SAME rules,,if they are doin' somethin' to cause a problem,,cyclists are under the same penalties.That said,,,if I see a cyclist ahead I will do a quick double tap on the horn from a ways off to alert 'em,,if they respond rightly by movin' over and signalin' to the affirmative,,I slow some,,swing over to the left as much as I can and cautiosly pass,,,other wise I sit right behind them at a safe distance,but close enough that they begin to signal thier nervousness/displeasure,,,,'til they finally pull over so I can safely pass 'em by,,AND if show any anger or voice same,,,I sit just ahead of 'em for a while so they can taste what regular plus gas exhaust tastes like''til they pull over an' stop!!!!I blew out a knee in the Bear tooths of Idaho after a trip from Texas to Idaho,,so they got nothin' to say to me about behavior of cyclists on the road,,and I have been an OTR trucker,and have made many trans continental drives in personal vehicles too,,so I have been at EVERYpart of the cycle/car/truck on the road relationship Wink

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
We live out in the country, more or less, but are within spittin' distance of Metro Atlanta. The cyclists are thicker 'n fleas out here on nice weekends.

Sometimes they ride in herds of 20 or more. Our country roads are all 2-lane, as you would expect, and we have a lot of curves, bad enough when there are only cars on the road.

Some of these jerks ride 2-3 abreast and WILL NOT move over when you pull up behind them--I hate being motioned to "come around" by some greenie tree-hugger who thinks he--or she--owns the road. I'll decide how to drive and who and when to pass, thank you.

Plus--and no offense to the cyclists on AR--I think these folks look ridiculous in their Spandex riding outfits and stupid bullet helmets. Not to mention the water bottles strapped to their asses. And the women are even worse.

Fortunately we live on a gravel road and don't get a flock of them riding by our house--but the paved roads are clogged--worse than a plague of locusts!

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ride as much as I can, road bike and on roads of NoVA. Always try to share the road not to be in the way of drivers, but quite few times I had quite close calls. Like two weeks ago guy with 16' trailer brushed my left foot while passing with the end of the trailer. The road was empty, but he was too lazy to move over and zipped by me.
Later on I caught with him and gave him a piece of mind, he had no clue I almost flew in the ditch and few inches more in and he would have me crippled.

That said, I have seen some bikers do stunts I would gladly kick their ass for.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Panzerschmied:
wether they know it or not,in most places,if you use the road,you must obey the SAME rules Wink

OK here's the problem. You know that neat little sign beside the road that says "SPEED LIMIT 55 MPH"? That's not just a maximum speed, it's also a minimum speed. It's not enforced that way nearly often enough and obviously a bicycle can not maintain that speed. The real problem I have is that I drive a very busy highway home every day from Nashville TN (Hwy 100) This road is too narrow for big trucks, yet when the weather is right there are bikers there during rush hour, AM and PM. Not only that but out where highway 96 comes in there must be some kind of cycling club and the damn fools refuse to ride single file, they're riding 2 or 3 abreast. They're obviously the greenie schmucks.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ride bike a lot in the summer to get in shape.

I truly belive in the lug nut theory the vehicle with the most lug nuts allways wins no matter who has the right away.

Some of the newer vehicle are very quite I don't mine when they get a little horn when they are going to pass me. I give bikes a little horn when I pass them. Just to say don't wander to the left too far.

There are ass holes in both groups I try and avoid them.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Obviously - the unwritten law of "BIG BUMPER RULES' has not been introducted to these guys. I ride a bike but use the network of bike trails that we have here in central Ohio. You can pretty much ride a couple hundred miles if you want to on trails that do not allow motorized vehicles. Sometimes horses are a pain though Eeker. I keep off the roads and it upsets me when a flock of bikers won't get single file to let a car past. Like I said, big bumper rules!

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote