THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    how much for 26 kgs elephant tasks

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how much for 26 kgs elephant tasks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
a friend of mine is selling legally harvested elephant tasks weighing 26 kg made on wooden blocks,kindly give me suggestion on price ,thankx and regards

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Officially he's not allowed to sell them - and would need a permit to move them across an international border - don't know about state borders though - but I assume not. It's really a case of the buyer and seller just agree a price - as there won't be many buyers out there, it's really the buyer pays whatever he thinks they're worth.

My guess is they're not not much.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Markor,

You have a PM.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
Take a look at the sight that Thomasjohn posted, you CAN buy and sell Ivory in the USA. And I might mention there are a lot of buyers available.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Jerry, the document states:- ' Most
populations are listed in Appendix I and
their products may not be traded for
primarily commercial purposes. Populations
of elephants in Botswana, Namibia,
and Zimbabwe are included in Appendix
II to allow for limited trade in specific
products only. '

Therefore to sell ivory one needs to be able to prove origin, CITES classification and in the case of old ivory it's age.

However, there are ways over this. If it's a willing buyer willing seller arrangement, (and obviously on a small scale) and there is no proof that payment takes place then ownership can be transferred/gifted. Wink Even then, there can be no transport over international borders without CITES export/import and possibly other export/import documents.

If the sale of ivory were still allowed then the legitimate dealers worldwide would still be in the business.

Sport hunted ivory and other Elephant products from some countries can travel across international borders but still need CITES permits and in the case of the US also USFAWS import permits. It can be a complicated business. - For example, Mozambique will issue a CITES export licence but USFAWS refuse to issue their own import licence. Therefore Mozambican ivory, despite having CITES paperwork may not be imported into the US.

One could of course, simply use a bit of common sense and read between the bloody lines!

homer homer

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Markhor, the last pair I remember sold on e-bay this year was about 50 pounds each tusk, and went for a little over $12,000.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I read on the USF&W site.

(The ivory of sporthunted trophies cannot be re-exported or sold within the United States as conditioned under a CITES import permit.)

So I think that covers legally harvested elephant tusk.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've just done a quick search on e-bay and they appear to have a formal policy that complies with CITES regulations. Sellers seem to state that items on offer are pre CITES restrictions such as;- ' This item has been authenticated in compliance with ebay rules regarding it's age'.

Had there been a way over the restictions I'd be a happy and wealthier man. - I know of many people who would love to be able to sell stocks of ivory they bought before the ban and are now unable to sell or move across borders. - My guess is if the various weights were totalled, it would add up to several tonnes. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank u friends for some nice advice,but im not at usa im in asia,and here privatly buying and selling is no prob,i wanted to buy those for decoration and didnt know the price,im thankfull to sgravoss155 for telling me about ebay price,

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next