Find
Notify
Tools

Best ever game meat you've had?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Gerenuk, rainbow trout cooked at streamside, and Lichtenstein's Hartebeest on the grill.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feral hog ribs off of a 130 lb boar, cooked with Lawry's Seasoned Salt rub over a bed of South Texas mesquite coals while we tracked a wounded critter in the cactus.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland, calf moose, caribou tenderlion and yellow perch. Walleye will do in a pinch, but small ones of about two pounds.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk steak medium rare with just a touch of salt & pepper, no steak sauce needed. Young Blue grouse and sauger or a small northern pike. I have had pronghorn that was excellent, and some that was not so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin steaks on the grille marinated for no more than 15min in lime juice and black pepper, and buttered
generously while grilling and served ever so slightly rare in the middle (Though any good Tuna steaks will do in substitution.) served with a Caesar salad, steak fries (with vinegar) and washed down with either Vino Verde or
Chenin Blanc (something crisp, dry and acidic)

Venison tenderloin medallions in butter with shallots
served with roated potato chunks (Red Wine, garlic and olive oil) and either freesh fern fiddle heads or if unavailable
asparagus. all of it washed down with a good domestic Pinot Noir.

Dustoffer, Might I suggest one minor variation?
Try using the Lowry's season salt with the tabasco in it?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
1) Elk Steak
2) Moose Steak
3) Paddle Fish
4) Ah heck...anything We Shoot Or Catch!! beer

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite wild game is a tie between blue berry feed black bear smoked with apple wood .The whole bears are yummy but remove all the fat so its not greazy.The other thats just as good is barbaqued Lynx thats par boiled first.My favorite fish is Dolly varden deep fried or smoked.My favorite wild bird is ruff grouse breast fried.I do love wild hog tender lion smoked also.I think pronghorn was the most suprising it was very tender and yummy.My least favorite was pheasant just like tough chicken.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....

Canned brown trout on Ritz crackers.

Trout sauteed slow in olive oil and garlic butter ( all the bones come out in one strip, just like in the cartoons ).

Almost any backstrap cubed, wrapped in bacon and grilled, also works with goose breast.

Antelope with olive oil/ginger/soy sauce marinade, makes it eminently grillable.

A friend of mine cooks antelope roast with garlic, rosemary and some Italian secrets, that's out of the ballpark.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14382 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
water- fresh salmon, then fresh clams, followed by various saltwater species. Grew up eating literally tons of walleyes. Very good, but it is ho hum for me.

air- ruffed grouse followed closely by pheasant in a mushroom sauce.

land- axis deer just moved to the top after recently shooting one in Texas.

Proper attention to meat care and aging is far more important IMO than the actual species.

I've never been to Africa, but anxiously awaiting the day. Sampling the various entrees will be one of the many highlights.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
As a rule, any wild game I've hunted and processed and cooked myself is my favorite(at the time). thumb

The best ever is a tie -- between an Eland steak and every cut of a ND whitetail buck I took that lived his entire life in a sunflower field(God, he was fat).

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a tough one! We eat very little domestic meat at my house and I fix venison (and panfish, trout, turkey, etc.) in a variety of ways, but the one that seems to be most popular with company is to take a whitetail backstrap, cut it into 8 oz or so pieces and marinate overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, fresh crushed garlic, sesame oil, olive oil and fresh tarragon leaves soaked in a reduction of merlot. I grill this over oak charcoal with some mesquite chips and serve rare-med rare. Goes well with sliced baby portabellas or criminis sauteed in some of the "used" marinade.

And a good bottle of cabernet or merlot, of course!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wihntr:
That's a tough one! We eat very little domestic meat at my house and I fix venison (and panfish, trout, turkey, etc.) in a variety of ways, but the one that seems to be most popular with company is to take a whitetail backstrap, cut it into 8 oz or so pieces and marinate overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, fresh crushed garlic, sesame oil, olive oil and fresh tarragon leaves soaked in a reduction of merlot. I grill this over oak charcoal with some mesquite chips and serve rare-med rare. Goes well with sliced baby portabellas or criminis sauteed in some of the "used" marinade.

And a good bottle of cabernet or merlot, of course!

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!! Damn! That sounds gooooood! Consider your idea officially ripped off!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh... I completely forgot about birds...

Phesant (any species) roasted in a crock with
cornbread and pecan stuffing.
Served with brown & wild rice cooked in chicken broth
and fresh greenbeans and baby carrots.
And wash it down with hard cider.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I admit, I'm not much of a bird hunter...don't get overly excited about spring turkey season either.

What is your favorite game animal meat from big game, any game bird, waterfowl, or even fish?

Here in Pennsylvania wild turkey IS big game along side elk, deer and black bear.

Since this thread is listed under American BG hunting, I am limiting my answers thusly.

Of all the meat I have personally cooked and eaten, roasted wild turkey is my favorite. Liebfraumilch white wine.

In the fish department, fresh caught albacore tuna grilled over a bed of charcoal, then drizzled with lemon juice. Corona Extra.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.366--

You're welcome to it!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
The best wild game I've ever eaten came from a dall ram back in '93. We took the whole rib cage, ran a stick through it, hit it with some secret seasonings and cooked it over an open fire until it turned black. That was the best damn camp meal I have ever had and i've had a bunch! Big Grin Another favorite of mine were the moose ribeyes i cut off a medium sized bull I shot 2 years ago. Put them on the grill with salt, pepper, and a little garlic salt and they were better than any beef ribeyes.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Buck Antelope for exotics
Elk for domestics

Halibut for salt water
Crappie for fresh water

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walleye and kudu.

Especially the kudu my son shot.

Posts: 10155 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Best game meat?
Fresh kudu tenderloin, barbqued, THE BEST!!!
Fresh wildebeast tenderloin, barbqued
Fresh guinea fowl
All of the above served in RSA after we collected them.
Fresh yellowfin tuna, grilled, we caught them in the Gulf of Mexico, off of Corpus Christi, Texas.
Other good ones are elk burgers with wild rice and porta bella mushrooms and axis doe in onion soup, slow cooked!!!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've had just about everything - Elk, White tail, wild boar, Bison, Cape Buffalo, Water Buffalo (actually ate thia at the restaurant at the Night Zoo in Panju China - strange place), Kudu, Eland, Gemsbuck, Springbuck, Impala, Oribi, Giraffe, Mountain Lion, Aoudad, Alligaor, Rattlesnake, Ostrich, all kinds of game birds, a lot more of strange unknown stuff in China (never could find the pan fried scorpions), and lots of fish...... BUT the best you ask??

1. Axis Deer (leanest meat there is 99.98% fat free) - this is the only venison I eat now. The white tail backstrap is made into jerky and the rest to charity.

2. Sika - prepared traditional Japanese style

3. Stripped Bass cooked Fish N' Chips Style (try it)

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a chef. In my opinion, the best-tasting game I have ever had was:

caribou
Dall sheep
kudu
pronghorn antelope
roe deer
springbok

woodcock
wood duck

All shot, field-dressed, aged, butchered and cooked by myself.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I love most all Big game, fowl and fish. Some of my African favs are:
Bontebok (fabulous)
Bushbuck
Nyala
Guinea fowl
US:
Pronghorn Antelope (best red meat there is to me)
Whitetail Deer
Elk
Ruffed Grouse
Quail
Turkey
Dove
Duck/goose
Candied Hummingbird wings
Red Snapper
Pompano
Wahoo
Tuna....most Saltwater fish
I have too many recipies to list as I love to cook. I had to teach myself at the age of 16 because I didn't like "gamey" meat. None of the magazine recipies worked for me. Tasted like hell. I had Antelope Taco's last night. Good! LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I listed my preferences earlier, completely forgetting my most memorable meal in the wild. While on a Wolf-Caribou hunt in the Katmai in Alaska, my young guide asked me if I have ever tasted Ptarmagon, and I am certainly not sure of that spelling. I said no, but having seen hundreds on the tundra, they looked the size of Grouse or Pheasant and were purring constantly around camp, I was ready to give it a shot. He went out with an old single barrel 12 gauge that night and killed two with one shot(on the ground), stating that is all he needed and didn't want to waste more shells. I could identify with that having been raised quail hunting in Kentucky and when very young wanting to take all the birds I could home for the pot, yet had only one shell in my pocket. He marinated the meat overnight in Worchestershire sauce after cutting it into streps (it was actually stripped with dark meat and white meat) and fried it after dipping it in pancake batter. He also mixed plain old mustard with honey from squeeze packets from KFC into an excellent Honey-Mustard dip. ----- I must say I have never eaten better in my life, even when compared to the Gourmet meals on Safari in the Selous. A week of long days of hunting on the tundra may have had a lot to do with the hunger pangs generated at the moment. wave thumb clap Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Had an entire mulie made into brauts-cut into thick slices and grill topped with any type of cheese. Terrific appetizers.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Axis deer, wild pig sausage, and deep fried golden croakers.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A whole white tail deer, cooked over an open fire, on a spit, and basted with a mixture of Texas Pete hot sauce and vegetable oil. It takes a long time to cook, and you need to be constanly turning it, BUT, oh man! Truly the best venison I have ever eaten.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WPN:
I'm a chef. ....best tasting...
woodcock

WPN, I'd love to hear your woodcock recipe. I love hunting woodcock, and they're wonderful birds, but I've yet to figuire out a way to prepare the little worm eaters that pleases my palate. TIA for any insight.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I'll second what KG posted. They taste like what Night Crawler dirt smells. Never found anyway to remove that "special sauce" aroma. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I love a good Elk roast, slow cooked with lots of veggies, onions etc. A turnip gives the meat a great flavor too. Baked taters an sour cream on the side..

Also have to agree with the grilled fresh Salmon, good stuff..

Baked trout is another favorite of mine as well with bacon, seasoning and lemon butter.

Dang.. I just had dinner and this threads gettin me hungry again..

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caribou tenderloin

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My choice would be a toss up between streamside brookies, fried blue grouse breast over the campfire and grilled elk steak @ home.

Jerry

Posts: 6 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: 26 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
pronghorn antelope

Med rare on the grill (Weber, charcoal) just a couple min on each side. Throw on some apple tree chunks for a sweet flavor.

Deer, elk & moose taste just as good, but the girls prefer the antelope.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wild boar tenderloins off a young boar or sow. Blacktail buck salami, is un-real.

I would only cook on pine wood if I was starving. Friend of mine, total novice griller, actually cooked 10 tri-tips for his daughters b-day over eucalyptus wood. Meat tasted like Vicks vapo rub.

Paul C.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Turtle sauce piquante
2. Deer sauce piquante
3. Deer backstrap marinated 4 days and grilled over charcoal.
4. Deer backstrap cut in 1/4 slices, coated with Italian bread crumbs and deep fried
5. Squirrel stew with navy beans and mustard greens.
6 Rabbit sauce piquante.
7.Fried speclkled trout filets
8. Fried sacalait [crappie] filets.
9. Redfish courtbouillion
10. Shrimp, any which way you can.
Can you tell I"m from Louisiana?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Cow Elk and Eland

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote