Find
Notify
Tools

Best ever game meat you've had?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I admit, I'm not much of a bird hunter...don't get overly excited about spring turkey season either. I love my big game animal hunting though. I also enjoy the heck out of fishing.

What is your favorite game animal meat from big game, any game bird, waterfowl, or even fish? (walleye for me on a grill!!)

How do you like it prepared?

Years ago a friend of mine used to make us "steak burgers" all the time. I later found out that they were bison/angus cross and he'd buy a whole side and have the entire thing ground up. Best burgers I've ever had, so I think I'd enjoy bison anyway.

Here's just a few of mine:

*grilled walleye in lemon with mild butter
*venison medallions injected with Italian dressing grilled SLOWLY
*mixed breakfast sausage (elk/mulie/antelope)
*Elk roast in oven using alum. foil, or in crockpot 15 hours on low.
*Pheasant, grilled

What about you?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Walleye or Crappie-lightly fried with lemon.

Ruffed grouse prepared any way!

Calf Elk loin wrapped in bacon and grilled.

Thinly sliced antelope loin on toast (great to have in the morning before duck hunting).

MG

One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
from salt water it would be speckled trout.

from the field it would be elk

b h

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoonbill duck breasted....... NOT.
Wild turkey breast, fried hot and fast in light, virgin olive oil.
Elk tenders.
Breaded (corn meal, flour, and spices) and boned perch fillets.
Mule deer loins which have sat in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Slice thin, cook hot and fast. That has to be the best. (Substitute whitetail, but still not the same as mule deer)

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Fresh springbok backstrap over leadwood coals with a cold Tafel lager.
A thick sauteed catfish filet with Budweiser.
"Chicken fried" mallard breasts with Shiner bock.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. caribou tenderloin - the best wild game i have ever eaten.
2. deep fried crappie for fish, followed by fresh grilled salmon with mayo/mustard mix on top. can you say mmmmmmgoooood?
3. cow moose steak, about 1.5" thick, slowly grilled with a high-mountain seasoning rub.
4. grilled aligator tail (wrapped in foil with butter, lemon, and assorted seasonings)

life is good!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cougar backstrap, sheep ribs, eland steaks - gotta go now - supper time Razzer

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer tenderloin, whole, with garlic slices inserted into slits in the loin, sprinkled with seasoned salt. Wrap in aluminum with butter and bake at 350. Oh BOY!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Eland T Bone on the BBQ, Grilled fresh Salmon, Gemsbok summer sausage.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
caribou tenderloin

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
axis deer or sika backstrap....chicken fried, with cream gravy!!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choices would be as follows. 1. Fried wild Quail 2. Caribou Tenderloin. 3. Moose Tenderloin. 4. Fried Sauger. 5. Elk Tenderloin 6. Cape Buffalo Burger over an open flame in the Selous. wave thumb dancing Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
The only BIG game I ever had has been Venison, back-straps are good but I have had some excellent steaks cut out of the hind quarters. I process all of my Deer and my Fathers Deer and have helped several friends do theirs.

I hope to harvest an ELK one day.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Elk backstrap BBQ and basted with marined of butter garlic parsly vermouth black pepper.

Any BG burger mixed with chopped onions garlic salt and blue cheese.

Ruffed grouse BBQ with lemon butter salt and pepper

Swordfish or Albacore steaks BBQ with butter and lemon.

Duck breast soaked 24 hrs in red wine beaten flat roll around a jalpeno stuffed with jack cheese roll up with thick bacon then BBQ.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will list in catagories.

Water- Wild alaska Salmon Boned and BBQ

Air- Ruffed or Blue grouse. I cook them in dutch oven with rice and Cream of mushroom soup with other ingredients. I call it Sawtooth Chicken

Land- Calf elk stake broiled with onions.

That is what I am talkling about. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
1. On the grill, Axis deer loin rubbed with Italian salad dressing and a light crust burned on with the center still pink and moist.. but you can't screw up Axis deer.. any preparation is good!

2. Pike fillets about 2.5" square (with Y-bone removed... a real skill) breaded with corn meal and fried for shore lunch and a bit of malt vinegar sprinkled there upon, add baked beans and diced potatoes, bacon bits and onions cooked in the grease first... A bottle of Blue chilled in the rapids... Eagles and loons all around and bears hanging around to scarf up the left overs... The best of Canada.

3. Impala liver diced and sauted with onions al a' Moses while sitting on the bank of the Ruaha river in the Selous.. with a good single malt to sip.. Now that's a sundowner!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am lucky, in that I get to eat lots of wild game. My freezer right now contains wild pigs, deer, antelope, elk, and black bear, and trout.

I like all of those quite a lot. However, the very best meat of any kind that I ever ate was some moose roast cooked by my mother-in-law.
It was shot in Canada by friends who gave them some of the roasts off it. I would eat that stuff till I was about sick, the heck with dessert, give me some more moose roast!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Elk backstrap, sliced thin in 2"x4" strips, rolled around a sliced pickled jalapeno, fajita seasoning, skewered on a stainless skewer, charcoaled, cold beer beer

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Braised rabbit, fried squirrel, venison tenderloin sauted with shallots and dusted with cracked pepper; all in that order. All three like to go down with full flavored white wine.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dall sheep steaks medium rare. Thomson gazelle chops also medium rare. I basically like all game but these two are at the very top of the list.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Damn, this thread makes me HUNGRY!

Best I've ever had was Desert Bighorn tenderloin. It was cooked Med-R over a bed of mesquite coals and was served with a roasted apple and pepper sauce.

It was just incredible, we had ice cold tecate, sheep steaks and cigars around a campfire feeling the cool breeze on our sunburned faces and listening to the waves of the Sea of Cortez crash against the beach.

It was the most memorable non-mule deer hunt I have ever been a part of, the ram grossed just over 180"

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good black bear roast is great right along there with grouse.

Then elk and deer and pig.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland, fried in a seasoned disc blade, over an open fire! clap

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Make a paste of Dijon Mustard and Dill. Coat fresh salmon steak and grill. Fight the daughter wife and grandkids for a piece.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat thread Doc.....

Elk loin over hickory, rare...some medium tomatoes with parmesean cheese on top roasted beside the elk on the grill, a loaf of hot sourdough and a glass of Caymus cabernet...campfire simmering and a puff on my pipe, one of the best evenings in the Rocky Mountains ever for me.....

Cobia steak w/butter and lemon pepper grilled on the beach with a big 'ol salad and some crusty french bread and some ice cold Bass ale was pretty strong too!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
grilled eland steak

grilled mahi-mahi with garlic butter sauce

fried halibut

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peppered Grysbok.

Elk tenderloins over a pine fire in the high Rockies.

Oryx steaks.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
Damn, this thread makes me HUNGRY!

Dang you ain't kiddin, I came home and read some 20+ posts after I started this thread this morning, AND ALL I HAD FOR DINNER WAS A GREEN LEAFY SALAD!!!

You guys are KILLING ME!!!

Oh, I need to certainly add an excellent dinner I had in Maine on my first black bear hunt: Lobster tail with MOOSE steak cooked on the grill while we listened to Loons on Bogg Lake.

I give thumb thumb on the moose. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Hey, is there such a thing as the AR cookbook? We should make one!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elk tenderloins over a pine fire in the high Rockies.

Pine, the finest cooking wood. shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Halibut 2" cubes, fresh fried
Elk loin, grilled med rare, garlic to taste
Cottontail Rabbit, browned in olive oil and baked
Pheasant breast, browned and cooked in a cream sauce

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oryx tenderloin raw. A little olive oil, salt and pepper over night. Four legged sushi!!!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nicest bird -ptarmigan. Animal - what is often disgarded or made into sausage makes a very fine meal - braised venison shank !!

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that only one mentioned axis deer...

Olarmy... thumb

It must be one of the best meat on earth !!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sitka Blacktail any cut pan fried Hot. banana

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
-Fresh bluefin tuna sashimi
-Fresh brook trout cooked streamside in tin foil with butter and lemon
-Fresh striped bass chunks floured and deep fried, served with fries
-Fresh dug steamers, quahogs and little necks dug on Cape Cod served raw and steamed, along with a couple fresh caught bugs (lobsters)
-Moose tenderloin over coals, cooked medium with just a bit of salt and black f/g black pepper
-Ruffed grouse ever so lightly dredged in flour and fried in a bit of hot butter and oil
-Wood duck breasts pounded, egged and dipped lightly in italian bread crumbs, then fried in e/v olive oil, seved with rice and asparagus tips; side spinach salad with crumbled bacon with balsamic. A couple fingers of Talisker and a cigar for after...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Dall sheep steaks medium rare.

Absolutely, 100% my favorite!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tenderloin of damn near anything. Elk, Dalls Sheep, and Axis deer stand out.

Warthog was the most surprising. Very nice.

Bird - Wild turkey breast
Fish - Peacock bass

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Wild Turkey would have to be the best I've come across.

Followed by:

Mule Deer loin
Whitetail loin
Wild Hog loin(young sows)
Gator
Bull Frog
CrawFish
White Perch(Crappie)
Bass
Catfish
Cat Squirrel

Making me hungry just thinking about it.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Here's my top 3:

1. BY FAR, Eland tenderloin.
2. Axis Deer
3. American Bison

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention. The best sausage I've ever eaten in my life was made from 50% Barasingha and 50% lean pork shoulder bought at the grocery store. It was UNBELIEVABLE!! I'm getting hungry. Smiler

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote