THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Tell me about the Free Range Ibex in New Mexico and surrounding areas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the Free Range Ibex in New Mexico and surrounding areas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just starting to look into the Free Range Ibex hunting we have in the States, which I think is mainly in the Florida Mts in New Mexico. Is it all by drawing. Any other areas are they found
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've seen several of them on White Sands. Couple of them had broken horns, a product I'm told of some sort of mineral defiency.

Let me say that a trip to Namibia (where they are quite common and readily available) is not that expensive and several critters like kudu can be also collected on a week long trip.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
I've seen several of them on White Sands. Couple of them had broken horns, a product I'm told of some sort of mineral defiency.

Let me say that a trip to Namibia (where they are quite common and readily available) is not that expensive and several critters like kudu can be also collected on a week long trip.

Matt, you're thinking Oryx instead of Ibex. Wink

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ill tell you that this is the 11th year I've tried for a tag!

The NM ibex are bezoar ibex, sometimes called Persian. They were released in the late 60's (i believe) into the Florida mountains to provide a huntable species into the mountain range that was mostly void of game. The Floridas are a small, but STEEP range. Perfect for ibex.
There have been billies taken that crack the 50" mark. Lots of goats on the range. Off range hunts are a complete waste of cash unless you live very near the area and can scout your ass off and know the surrounding landowners.
Bow tags are fairly easy to draw, but a monumental task to fill. Muzz and rifle tags approach sheep tag odds in terms of drawing.
After a unit 32 desert sheep tag here in AZ, it is my dream tag to draw.. keepin my fingers crossed for this year, but ain't holdin' my hreath!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When does the hunt normally take place. Like for example, are they certain weekends like on the White Plains missle range. (which I one first time trying thank you very muchSmilerSmilerSmilerSmiler)
thanks again for your help. or are they open all year.
W.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Think about it this way.....you can spend 20 years applying for this tag or work a bit of overtime and go hunt them in Mongolia or Turkey. Time spent thinking about some of these long-odds draws might be better spent putting away some dollars IMO.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I think the State auctions a tag also. IIRC, recently went for $250K.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've applied four years and drawn two tags - bow. Didn't kill one, but that's about par as success rates are about 1% for bowhunters.

Scottyboy laid it out pretty well for you. There are plenty of ibex in the Floridas, and if you were to actually draw a rifle tag you stand a real good chance of filling it. While bowhunting I was within easy rifle range of several nice billies. Of course, odds of getting a tag are akin to winning the lottery, so I wouldn't hold my breath. You can buy a tag over the counter for ibex outside the Florida Mountains, but unless you're ready to quit your job and come down here for the entire license year, your chances of even seeing one off those mountains are worse than getting a tag. I saw one pair (a nanny and kid) off the mountains about 9 years ago. Nothing since, and I get around in the desert quite a bit chasing quail and javelina.

The rifle either sex hunt (once in a lifetime) is some time around the last two weeks of November. The bow either sex hunt is the first two weeks of January. The muzzleloader either sex hunt is the first two weeks of February. There's a female/immature hunt in there too, but I don't remember the usual dates off the top of my head. Read all about it in the rule book.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
I think the State auctions a tag also. IIRC, recently went for $250K.

My God! For that kind of money, you could probably buy your way into and out of Iran to hunt one!

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I applied last year and was lucky to get picked. It was the only time I had tried. I took a nice Ibex, though not a BIG record book animal. I learned much about the animals and the Florida Mountains.

Your best chances of getting a tag are to apply for a bow hunt or a muzzleloader hunt. It is pretty difficult to get within bow range of the ibex. Odds of getting a 100 yard shot with a muzzleloader are much better.

The Florida Mountain range is very small. Locating Ibex was not difficult as long as the weather held and visibility was not limited. There are many draws and ridges to mask your stalk. Next to some very bad weather, the biggest obstacle I had was that several other hunters kept moving about and shooting.

Once picked for a rifle hunt you can never reapply, though, you may still apply for bow and muzzleloader tags. I didn't apply this year but I may submit a muzzleloader application next year. Odds of being drawn for muzzleloader are about four times greater than for rifle.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late last year, I was offered a chance to buy a rifle tag from a guy who had become seriously ill after drawing (apparently an exception to the no transfer rule). The cost for the guided hunt and the tag together was around $8,000. I've never been big on shooting non-native stuff, and I'm also pretty much tapped out for this year on hunting expenses and time away from work, so I passed on the opportunity. Obviously, if it had been a sheep tag, I would have figured out a way to make it work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
Looks like I missed the drawing this year, but may have to put it in next year. Althogh my wife is gonna be mad if I win another "once in a lifetime tag" SmilerSmiler
W.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
DUH!!!!! Yup, I was thinking oryx. My bad.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie - There are no Ibex on the missle ranges in New Mexico. It's White Sands Missle Range and not White Plains. Florida Mts. = Ibex; White Sands Missle Range = Gemsbok/Oryx

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
When does the hunt normally take place. Like for example, are they certain weekends like on the White Plains missle range. (which I one first time trying thank you very muchSmilerSmilerSmilerSmiler)
thanks again for your help. or are they open all year.
W.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote