New
Find
Notify
Tools

Staying warm while hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Judge G’s thread about staying warm while hunting got me to thinking about what I do here in Texas to stay warm. I’m gathering that we here in Texas face some of the same issues the Judge does in Georgia: usually fairly temperate weather with the occasional cold-snap that makes the hunting really nasty and unpleasant. For example, a couple of years ago on the Saturday night of closing weekend of the season, which was the first weekend of January, it was 83 degrees with the sun beating down on the elevated box blind I was in and no breeze. I was seriously wondering if the four bottles of water I had was enough to stay hydrated. The next morning, it was in the high 20s with a steady 15 mph wind. Compounding the problem is that most of our hunting is done from blinds so we aren’t moving around; it’s sitting for several hours. But you might have a nice ¼ mile or further walk to get to your stand so you can have the blood pumping and perhaps even a sweat by the time you get there even though the temperature is low.

So I’m going to share a few of the things I have and wear to stay warm and maybe others can share what equipment they use and as well as tips for staying warm while stationary in a blind for several hours in freezing weather.

The Portable Buddy heater is the absolute bomb. It’s easy to use, reliable, safe (you can’t blow yourself up lighting it), and puts out 9,000 BTUs for more than 3 hours on a 1 lb. propane bottle. It’s $100, but worth every penny.

Filson and Cabela's socks and polypropylene sock liners are a must.

I have some medium weight polypropylene long underwear and some fleece long underwear, but for the really cold days Cabela’s goose down long underwear tops and bottoms is incredible. However, unless it’s really cold, don’t try to do much physical activity in it; you’ll have a heat stroke.

For a top layer, a Walls coverall is what I use. I’ve bought hunting specific ones in camoflauge patterns from sporting good stores, but I’ve found the Walls to have better zippers and be much more durable since they are designed mostly for construction workers.

The UnderArmour glove liners are worth every penny. Many days they are plenty warm by themselves. They fit under work gloves too. And if it’s really cold, I have a pair of fleece mittens with fold back finger covers from Walmart.

A usual feature of our blinds are spare propane cylinders and water bottles.

So what do you use or do to stay warm on those cold mornings in the blind?

Happy New Year!

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even better yet buy and adapter and use a 5 or 10lb tank of LP and they last for days.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the worthless nut state the temp can range from 60 to below 0. In one blind that is big enough for two people I have a big buddy heater hooked to a 100lb tank. The other one is a small blind and I can put a buddy heater in it if there was room to turn around. I normally just dress for the weather. I use an insulated layer under my regular clothes then a wall's insulated coverall with a coat over that with boot blankets over light insulated boots. If it is close to 0 I also have a fleece double blanket coat that I put on. Our ML season starts on jan 8th so it has the potential to be cold. Just may alter the small blind so the heater can be used with a 20lb tank.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold...in a box blind...in Texas??? You forgot to mention your purse.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey LWD, Nice post with a lot of good tips from you.

The main thing I do is put on more clothes. I have a couple of Wool sweaters which add a good bit of bulk to trap the air, switch from a mesh Face Mask to a Balaclava insulated style, and wear a sweatshirt with a Hood to keep the wind off my neck.

It is rare for me to be out in it when the cold gets into the low 40s, so I just stay inside then. But I have wrapped in a blanket and used an old sleeping bag to get my feet in and pull up around me.

I'm just not a fan of the cold weather at all. Global Warming would suit me fine - if it was only true.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I have found for cold weather. Is nothing beats heavy clothing. There simply is no substitute for a heavy, weather proof, top layer.

I like a waterfowl parka and bib combination for cold weather. Just carry it in and put it on at the stand.

If noise is an issue, bowhunting for example, I use heavy wool coat/pants with windblock.
I just buy them a size bigger for layering room.

1000gm insulated boots, heavy weatherproof gloves, neck gaiter, face mask and even a fur bomber hat to top it off. The bomber hat may look goofy, but it is warm!

Handwarmers are essental. Especially when bowhunting, so I can keep my drawing hand warm. I shoot traditional, so my fingers must work. It is amazing what you can tolerate with warm hands.

I also bought a catalytic heater for my ground blind this year. I sat about four hours in minus 4 temps. It definitely took the edge off.

Everyone talks layering, but that is most important when doing active hunting in varying conditions.

For inactive hunting methods, heavy, warm, weatherproof clothing trumps.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You forgot to mention your purse.

Now that was just tacky! moon

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy heater is great! I take one to my ground blind on really cold days so I don't have to put on so many clothes. I refussed to use them for years, but have come to understand the more comfortable you are the longer you stay on the stand.

I second the under armor glove linners, they work great. I like Patgonia capline and fleece for a base layer depending on how cold it is. Smartwool makes a good sock as well. For really cold weather it's hard to beat wool for the top layer and good pair of wool pants and jacket really work well for me.

Posts: 54 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
Judge G’s thread about staying warm while hunting got me to thinking about what I do here in Texas to stay warm.

Dang, son.....what would you do on a chilly morning up here in a cloud of sea smoke and sideways-blowing snow? I'm guessing not duck hunting!!!! rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just think propane BABY.
Happy New Year Everyone

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In our 60 m.p.h. blind we just start the truck and turn on the heater. Big Grin

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dang, son.....what would you do on a chilly morning up here in a cloud of sea smoke and sideways-blowing snow?

Probably freeze to death!

LWD

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in Namibia at 108 F and in Alaska at -40 plus windchill on a snow machine.

Humidity makes me hot or cold, usually unless it is -20 or below then the number doesn't mean much.

It always makes me laugh when people from very hot areas bitch about temps between 40 and -10.

Wear a warm hat and warm boots, wear things that breath, remember that gore-tex can be your enemy if your already prespiring when you put it on.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
shoot,guys.the WARMEST I saw this year in deer season was -1 below. Roll Eyes

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
For a deer or duck blind,I would pick up a cheap boat cushion at Walley's to sit on. They reflect your body heat back.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing if you are sitting in a blind. Hot chocolate, coffee, tea to drink helps.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
Another thing if you are sitting in a blind. Hot chocolate, coffee, tea to drink helps.

Well, this starts to cut through most of the BS.

First, dress warmly. I know you're smart enought to figure out what that entails. Those who aren't should stay in bed!

Next, and absolutely just as important - EAT BREAKFAST!!! If you don't have calories to burn, you won't be able to wear enought clothes.

Finally, AVOID CAFFINE! I don't know whether it restricts capillaries or what, but if you stick with decaf and non-caffinated hot drinks, you'll be much warmer.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt right along the Canadian/MN border every year. I have a backpack that I hunt out of. I pack in a -30 sleeping bag, a parks, sweaters, and a foam pad. I sometimes strap on climbing stand. Whether I hunt out of a permanent stand or a climber, I just haul my backpack up and secure it in/to my stand. I then put a plastic trash bag over my boots and pull the sleeping bag over me. Then I put on all the other clothes. Works like a champ.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Sweat is my cold weather enemy so I find it important to carry clothes with me (backpack) out to the blind and then layer up once I quit sweating from hiking. If I find myself getting too cozy/warm in the blind I quickly zip layers open to avoid subsequent sweat/moisture chills.

Plus I (daily) bring extra inner-layer stuff (including sox) to change into following the lunch break for the afternoon shift of being in the blind.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
build a fire?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Sweat is my cold weather enemy so I find it important to carry clothes with me (backpack) out to the blind and then layer up once I quit sweating from hiking. If I find myself getting too cozy/warm in the blind I quickly zip layers open to avoid subsequent sweat/moisture chills.

Plus I (daily) bring extra inner-layer stuff (including sox) to change into following the lunch break for the afternoon shift of being in the blind.

Yup. I dont do bunker ambushes, I move around and sometimes hang around if I like an area so flexibility is a must. That means layers. My coat is fairly light and loose and if it gets too nippy I go to the down filled vest underneath the coat. One thing that sucks is when staying warm means dressing up to the point of becoming cumbersome. I try to avoid that but its kind of a catch 22.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For a full day in the stand hot hands and the large stick on body warmers are my best stay warm tools now days....they work!!

As far as clothing. Mil.spec. wool gloves and a wool roo-tube for my hands. Sock cap and neck gaiter. Along with the layer system. I pack my heavy outer layer to the stand. I don't put it on until I get that first chill.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
tu2 on the Buddy Heaters. I've used them in TX while hunting from blinds and they are worth every penny and then some. 16 degrees is cold! That heater kept me warm every morning without fail.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High 20s in a blind ?
How about tennis shoes, blue jeans and a long sleeve T-shirt ?

Sorry, cold to me is 20 below and 2 feet of snow, miles from the nearest road.

Staying warm in the high 20s should be easy.
Cheap long johns, maybe some wool socks, stuff they put on sale in the ski department after the season is over.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried "The heater body suit"? Does it work

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
Hey SDHunter, What about all the movement created by pouring the drink and actually drinking? May not be as much as when I get the shivers though. Eeker

The Hot Chocolate has me wondering if it would be a "scent attractant" to the Deer down-wind? bewildered

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
quote:
You forgot to mention your purse.

Now that was just tacky! moon

LWD

Cool
Truth is I hunt out of a Ranger sxs so no matter how warm i stay in the tree/tripod I still have to add a 30 mph wind chill for the ride back to the house. Its a mental challenge to convince myself I'm not cold so as not to "feel" even colder on the ride home.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
build a fire?

Funny you should mention that. There's a story in the current Lonestar Outdoor News about a couple of teenagers in a blind with a heater fueled by a 20lb tank. Apparently, the connection wasn't threaded well and the there was a leak and a spark. They escaped the initial whoosh unharmed and got out of the blind before the fire collapsed the blind on itself and the propane tank exploded.

LWD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
our hunting here in the west allows for the building of a fire.
have sat on a ridge many times around a fire, watching a big chunk of country.
hunted temps in the 30 - 40 below range.
that said, one of the coldest hunts i've ever been on was in a black plastic stand in south texas at 25 above.
any movement made noise and to sit there waiting for shooting light....
i can remember my legs shaking so bad,my feet sounded like a drum banging on the floor of the blind

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Yes...the heater body suit works. Just like a big sleeping bag...only generally, a bit heavier duty...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Layers.

Start with good long underwear. Layer over that with fleece or wool and a wind blocking layer. If it's really cold, add more high loft layers.

If it's likely to rain you need an outer layer the sheds water.

For your feet, wool socks and good pac boots.

For your hands, I really like to use my pants pockets or a hand muff. Mittens if its really cold. Never had a pair of gloves I felt were worth beans when cold and inactive.

For your head, a stocking cap or a baklava or both. Hoods work, but really cut down on your visibility/hearing.

Wear NOTHING made out of cotton, and nothing tight fitting (especially on your hands/feet).

For me the wind blocking layer is the most important, even below zero temps are a piece of cake without any wind.

Heater body suits really do work. I can't say enough good things about them.

If you're going to sit in a blind/stand all day, pack all this stuff in on your back. Only wear a minimum amount of clothing when walking in. Put it all on after you're in your blind/stand ready to go. You want to do whatever you can to avoid getting sweaty.

Pack in an empty gatorade bottle for your urine. When you fill that sucker up, you'll have a hot water bottle to hang on to for a couple of hours. You can't believe how warm it'll feel after a few hours.

But wait, cold in Texas? Seriously?

-nosualc

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wear NOTHING made out of cotton,

Like the old saying goes, cotton kills. If you suffer from sweaty feet, try dowsing them with foot powder before you put your socks on. I do it every day before work and only wear leather boots and light wool socks, with ankle height golashes. Never have cold feet.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Saskatchewan twice and Manitoba once over Thanksgiving week. Minus 25/30F.

Think Northern Outfitters. You will be toasty warm at minus 25F and much lower.. You can buy all kinds of stuff from Cabela's or wherever and spend a lot of money, but you will never beat the gear from Northern Outfitters for severe cold. They have a website.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
Cold...in a box blind...in Texas??? You forgot to mention your purse.

Perry

As far as chilling a person...North Texas can be very chilling. It was 17 in Jacksboro, Tx on Jan. 2nd!!!

Now...17 in Texas with the humidity...is damn cold. I have several clients from Alberta that when we are out side watching their horses being ridden...are freezing to death!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36870 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
Feet hands and face neck area are what get to me.

For the feet - pack boots of good quality and bootie blankets

For the hands - good wool mittens a muff and handwarmers.

For head and neck - a good baklava, a face mask and good hat on top.

Good wool outer gear really keeps me warm, dry and cuts wind.

Coldest I've ever been was in Manitoba, -33 F with a 40 mph wind (who knows what the wind chill was), swinging in a treestand 25 feet up. I also used the sleeping bag trick that day.

Here in NY when hunting in 20 F my feet, hands and neck are the culprit, but I dress very light and my legs arms and torso never get cold.

I've been searching for a solution for the feet thing but the only thing that works for me are those darn cumbersome bootie blankets. I ussually wear a light pair of boots, get into the stand, take off boots, change socks and put dry socked feet into bootie blankets and feet are good all day. Bootie blankets are noisy and cumbersom when bowhunting out of a treestand so most times my feet will just freeze because I refuse to put them on, I have alerted way too many deer with those bootie blankets when bowhunting. When hunting with a gun who cares they're dead before they can hear you.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My feet are always what get cold.
I now use the foot warmers that stick to the bottom of your socks and are shaped like a shoe insole. I was hunting in 10degree weather in boots with only 400 grams thinsulatin and my feet were perfectly warm.
I was so impressed that I bought about 10 pairs of them for future hunts.

Now if I could only get my wife to wear them before she gets in bed and puts her cold feet on me.......

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirtycal:

For head and neck - a good baklava, a face mask and good hat on top.

Be careful not to get any crumbs from your baklava on your face mask..... rotflmo

Balaclavas are quite warm though. Big Grin

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thenie Meanie
posted Hide Post
On those really cold days, I invite my boyfriend to hunt my stand with me! shocker

“What day is it,?" asked Pooh.
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh.”

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i guess that's one way to stay warm while you dear hunt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Staying warm is no problem on the way up the hill hunting elk, sitting after you get there is a differendt story. I use a polypro base layer, wool shirt and pants with goretex or other rain proof garment to go over each and a down vest and carry a parka on the pack. 2 pair of gloves/ glomits, neck gaiter facemask beanie. That set up is flexible enough for up to 40+ and is good down to a little below zero with high wind.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote