New
Find
Notify
Tools

2007 deer season
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These are the three deer I took during the 2007-08 deer season. The bottom left 10 point with the double split brow tines was taken on my family's ranch in the Oklahoma Panhandle. He scored a nice 151 1/8" and I used a Remington LS 280. The other two deer were shot on a west Texas ranch. The bottom right is a 13 point taken on New Year's day and scored 132". He also has 3 tines broken. This deer would have gone in the 140's earlier in the season before he got busted up. I also used the 280 on this deer. The wide rack I'm holding is a 20" inside 8 point. He is pretty busted up and missing both G1's.
This deer was shot with my Broughton 257 Ackley.
Pretty good season overall.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great year. I see you also have a Bi-Fur Pod. I really like mine and take it to the woods often.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love them sticks. I made those 5 seasons ago. If you notice the notches down the side, those are for each animal shot since then. Lots of yotes have met their demise with the sticks and my Swift.

Texas Verminator

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Tx6BR,

Please stop showing nice deer that come from the Oklahoma panhandle. Most people think there is absolutely nothing out there, and you're just educating them!! jumping

About a two or three years ago I saw the biggest whitetail I have ever seen in my entire life while pheasant hunting. We were all lining up to make a drive when one of my buddies notice two does just straight at, which were being followed by the giant. That sucker looked like he had baseball bats on top of his head, not very wide but very tall and massive just doesn't describe it. It was the last weekend of the season, but he got away scott free.

Nice deer and a great year! Congrats!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gray,,,, that is how I shot this 2004 buck. It was the 2nd day of pheasant season and the last day of rifle season. Me and my GSP and another hunter jumped him out near our barn in the CRP. He went north and made a big loop back towards the south where the river breaks are. I ran back to the truck, grabbed the 257 AI and ran back out to cut him off. Shot him around 350 yards next to one of our irrigation pumps. That was a blast with about 10 other hunters watching me bust this guy that were back at the barn. Awesome pheasant hunt too !!!!

Texas Verminator

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tx6BR:
gray,,,, that is how I shot this 2004 buck. It was the 2nd day of pheasant season and the last day of rifle season. Me and my GSP and another hunter jumped him out near our barn in the CRP. He went north and made a big loop back towards the south where the river breaks are. I ran back to the truck, grabbed the 257 AI and ran back out to cut him off. Shot him around 350 yards next to one of our irrigation pumps. That was a blast with about 10 other hunters watching me bust this guy that were back at the barn. Awesome pheasant hunt too !!!!

Good thing you made the shots count when you had to. If your buddies are like mine, and you would have missed, it would have been a long day for you. Sounds like our hunt a few years ago. My buddy got 3 or 4 shots at that buck but he never drew a hair. You can rest assured he got plenty of ribbing for not killing that buck.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Dadgum!! 3 outstanding bucks in one year. Congratulations!!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luckily I put all 3 rounds in his chest. It was some fast shooting for a minute.

Texas Verminator