Notify
Tools

Colorado's Anti Gun Laws!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
diggin

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Personally...just like the 2nd Amendment does infer...I believe that every able bodied person has a DUTY to own a good military type rifle and a stock of all the ammunition they can afford to store.

For as DOJ (agree with his boycott or not) pointed out...the 2nd Amendment is to protect us from DC...it is not about hunting.

And...as my buddy knows already...if Aaron needs me to come fight beside him...I will already be there!

Davy Crockett came to the aid of Texas and I would never abandon the head waters of the Rio Grande!

A purdy sight indeed!
tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
It amazes me how any one supporting the second ammendment could ever vote Democrate.

Amen Ed! Until things get a little better (if they ever do) I check the 'R' box in the upper left corner. Even if I don't like a particular Republican...right now anyone that associates with the democratic party IS the ENEMY.

Sorry Drum...for the most part I agree with you.

No worries, I agree with Ed on that point as well.

My only point of contention is his un-American, un-patriotic view of boycotting individuals that are pro-constitution and pro-gun because they live in a certain geography. If everybody takes that stand we can go ahead and kiss our 2nd amendment rights goodbye.

Democrats that are stealing our rights as American citizens are banking on guys like Ed and SG to take this stand because they know if enough guys like him turn their back on fellow Americans they will win.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that picture Geedubya. tu2

The group of pig hunters we have in this weekend are from Colorado and in talking to them yesterday(Saturday), they believe that Hickenlooper will be voted out in the next election.

They are not happy with any of the stuff Hickenlooper has been doing.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
SG Olds: I will not be visiting CO again. I recommend that anyone who is outraged by this, that you vote with your feet. Do not hunt in Colorado, do no business at all with any company that stays in Colorado. Focus on supporting those people and businesses that leave Colorado.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
The second ammendment has nothing to do with hunting or protecting one from the "bad guys" it has to do with protecting the citizenery from the "bad guys in Washington D C".

Ed,

I knew we had something in common. We both see the Bill of Rights the way our founders intended, it was crafted based on their experiences. It is as pertinent today as it was then, simply because it was written based on human nature. Corruption, greed and power.

Our founders had the benefit of seeing flaws in government, a chance to start over, with this experience, forming a new government that protects the people from those in power.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
The second ammendment has nothing to do with hunting or protecting one from the "bad guys" it has to do with protecting the citizenery from the "bad guys in Washington D C".

Ed,

I knew we had something in common. We both see the Bill of Rights the way our founders intended, it was crafted based on their experiences. It is as pertinent today as it was then, simply because it was written based on human nature. Corruption, greed and power.

Our founders had the benefit of seeing flaws in government, a chance to start over, with this experience, forming a new government that protects the people from those in power.

He still isn't booking through you Wendell Big Grin

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Dont forget.....boycott Missouri deer!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:

Yer being naughty Drum. Cool

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Dont forget.....boycott Missouri deer!

I need to know the exact area to boycott. Specifically, ranch name maybe? And the date of the rut. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Ranch? Missouri? It never crossed my mind....that's funny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Ranch? Missouri? It never crossed my mind....that's funny

Ted,
are there "Ranches" over yonder where ya'll are, or is that a Texas "thang"?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:

Yer being naughty Drum. Cool

Just shootin ya straight big dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Frankly, constantly having to address how your perceive every single post in terms of how bad you are personally insulted is quite boring and it never advances the discussion.

Todd, if I took everything as personally as you and some others believe, I would not still a member of this site.

If I got my feelings hurt as much as you and some others believe, I would not still be a member of this site.

The fact that you and some others believe that anyone that does not see things or think about things exactly as you/they do, should not offer up their opinions or be willing to defend their opinions.

This discussion started out about the gun bans in Colorado, turned into a discussion about boycotting Colorado and no longer hunting there, then devolved into a discussion about the Second Amendment, who does or doesn't support it, how people view the Second Amendment which caused the whole discussion to turn into a chit slinging contest, all over the concept between Wanting versus Needing.

I still stand by my opinion, I support the Second Amendment, not All Coloradans voted for Hickenlooper, not All gun owners/supporters of the Second Amendment are Republicans and lastly not ALL gun owners in America that support the Second Amendment believe that private citizens NEED military styled semi-auto rifles with high capacity magazines nor are ALL American gun owners supporters of the NRA.

horse

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hope was thru a boycott more people would work harder to get rid of the dem majority. It is easy to sit at a keyboard and hammer out your dissatisfaction but it is different when you (Colorado voters) get out and beat the streets and pump your hard earned monies into their defeat. Incentives come in different forms.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's really critical to know who you're fighting before you go for a knockout punch. A boycott of any or all businesses without knowing the actual voting demographics of the area around Denver and who voted for the Liberal aholes that passed that Bill would be ridiculous IMHO.

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
I know I am getting into this late but here is my 2 cents.

It seems to me that while everyone is concerned about the CO laws infringing on second amendment rights no is too willing to sacrifice anything to do something about it. Maybe its time to stop pointing fingers from the comforts of our homes and work together and do something about it. I have a basic idea but I am sure that some of the smarter folks on here could refine it or improve upon it.

Why don't all the NR hunters who hunt with outfitters in CO call their outfitters and ask to have a camp set up on the lawn of the capitol and spend there precious week camped out in protest instead of hunting.

Why don't the outfitters spend there time and money organizing this "camp out".

Why don't those of us without the finances to hire an outfitter drive out there and DIY camp on the lawn with them.

Why don't the resident hunters help with the planning as well and join us all out there?

Seems to me that several thousand hunters camped out at the capitol for the first week of elk season would make a slightly larger statement than a few hundred guys going to WY.

I know all of our time and money is important to us and the though of giving up our precious elk hunting trip is diametrically opposed to the me first I've got to get mine culture we live in. But when we remember that thousands of people died horrible tragic deaths on our soil and abroad so that we could have a second amendment it should make us at least consider it.

Patrick Henry was never quoted at saying "give me liberty or give me death, as long as it doesn't interfere with my hunting plans"

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The same people who thought Obama would be voted out are now thinking Hickenlooper will be voted out. Not so sure about that after seeing the vote counts in Colorado.

Is anyone really surprised at the election results in CO and the following legislation? Drive through any of the Western Mtn valleys and it is a fest of re-located liberals who out number the conservatives (if those words even mean anything anymore). I don't see Colorado changing anytime soon over some gun ban issues.

I have visited and hunted the great state of CO many times and won't boycott my enjoyment of the resources located there. I do support a boycott, so my chances of drawing a permit will get better.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Is anyone really surprised at the election results in CO and the following legislation? Drive through any of the Western Mtn valleys and it is a fest of re-located liberals who out number the conservatives (if those words even mean anything anymore). I don't see Colorado changing anytime soon over some gun ban issues.

Unfortunately, you are right. This "virus" has spread to most western and conservatives states. They screw up the economy in their own state and move to another (Colorado) screw it up, and move on.

Even Texas isn't as red as it used to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BighornBreath:
Anyone know why the NRA stabbed Coloradans in the back and failed to make a showing or even a statement?

I don't think they could put enough pressure on CO Democrats to change the outcome. However, I hope they challenge this legislation in court. I don't know how the background checks one will turn out but I think they can defeat the capacity limit law

PBS news had a lawyer discussing the constitutionality of the new laws the other day. If the lawyer is correct in her thinking we have a chance. Here is the link: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/ru...endment-scholar.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Liberals create liberals. When you steal from Peter to give to Paul you can always always count on Paul's vote. Hard to believe ANYBODY would boycott Peter in that situation

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone feels that boycotting the guides/outfitters, small business owners in Colorado will sooth the conscience go ahead, no one can stop you. I know and have met too damn many good folks over the years I have been hunting/fishing/visiting Colorado and the only reason the situation is the way it is, is simply because the good folks became outnumbered. Even if things cannot be turned around, until they ban Non-Residents completely from hunting or fishing in the state, I will go there every chance I get.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NRA is filing an appeal with supreme court on July 1 when the law goes into effect.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
In Colorado, like many other states, it's the tale of two states. There's the front range, excluding Colorado Springs, which is incredibly liberal, then there is the rest of the state which with a few exceptions (a few ski towns) tend to be very conservative. Unfortunately the cities outnumber the folks in the mountains which is far from unusual.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Colorado, like many other states, it's the tale of two states. There's the front range, excluding Colorado Springs, which is incredibly liberal, then there is the rest of the state which with a few exceptions (a few ski towns) tend to be very conservative. Unfortunately the cities outnumber the folks in the mountains which is far from unusual.

Until someone has been there and witnessed it first hand, they simply do not/cannot understand the way things are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://xfinity.comcast.net/art...rado-Hunter-Boycott/

Hunters begin boycott over Colorado gun laws

1 hour ago

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Hunters across the country say they are boycotting Colorado because of recent legislation meant to curtail gun violence.

Colorado last week became the first Western state to ratchet back gun rights in response to mass shootings at a suburban Denver movie theater and an elementary school in Connecticut. Opponents warned the gun controls would hurt hunters, especially an expansion of background-check requirements to apply to personal and online gun sales.

Republican opponents of the new background-check law said it would make criminals of hunters lending each other weapons for weekend hunting trips. In response, Democrats changed the bill to give people a 72-hour grace period to share guns without triggering background-check requirements. Republicans then complained the bill would imperil weeklong hunting trips.

Gun-rights advocates who said hunters would boycott Colorado in protest say they are following through on their threats.

Michael Bane, a freelance producer for The Outdoor Channel, announced he will no longer film his four shows in Colorado. And hunting outfitters say people began canceling trips after the legislation passed, The (Colorado Springs) Gazette newspaper reported (http://tinyurl.com/cfbquoy ).

Northwest Colorado hunting guide Chris Jurney expects more state defections in a major tourism industry. Out-of-state hunters accounted for 15 percent of hunting licenses last year, 86,000, compared with 489,000 for residents.

"There's a united front of sportsmen that are tired of having their freedoms and liberties and fundamental rights taken away from them," said Jurney, vice president of the Colorado Outfitters Association. "That kind of unity among sportsmen is going to be big, and unfortunately for those of us who live here, we're going to suffer the consequences of this misguided legislation."

Colorado Parks and Wildlife spokesman Randy Hampton said his agency has asked the state attorney general's office for advice on impacts to hunters. While legal possession of high-capacity magazines is grandfathered in, officials want to make sure they are still legal to use.

"We believe there's the potential for impact. That's out of our control," he said. "Hunting is a tool to manage wildlife populations, and we do not believe the impacts will affect that part of our mission."

Jurney said he expects the actual impact of gun regulations on Colorado hunters will be small. Varmint hunters tend to use high-capacity magazines, so they might be limited.

The Colorado Tourism Office, which tracks travel spending in Colorado, did not immediately return a call seeking details about whether a hunting boycott was being felt.

Associated Press

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a question but how do the new laws in Colorado actually effect Non-Resident hunters?

Colorado has had firearms restrictions for hunting Big Game for as long as I can remember and I first hunted there in 1992.

Someone rationally explain why people are wanting to boycott Colorado when they have long time established restrictions for firearms that can be legally used for Big Game hunting?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a question but how do the new laws in Colorado actually effect Non-Resident hunters?

Colorado has had firearms restrictions for hunting Big Game for as long as I can remember and I first hunted there in 1992.

Someone rationally explain why people are wanting to boycott Colorado when they have long time established restrictions for firearms that can be legally used for Big Game hunting?

Other than primitive weapons during the primitive weapons season (muzzleloader with no scopes or sabots), what firearms restrictions are you speaking of. I've hunted Colorado since 1995 and I don't remember any restrictions on what I could hunt with concerning my rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifles have to be a minimum of .24 caliber. You never saw that?

If you don't want to believe me, check out page 12 of the 2013 Colorado Big Game Brochure.

These restrictions have been in effect since at least 1992 when I first hunted Colorado.

Since I cannot figure out how to copy and paste from the Colorado DOW site, I will copy them verbatim from the brochure. Since you doubt the veracity of my statement you can check it out on the Colorado DOW website.

Directly from the 2013 Big Game Brochure, on page 12, left hand side of page, top of page, listed under Legal Hunting Methods - CENTERFIRE RIFLES!

A. Must Be A Minimum Of .24 Caliber (6mm).

B. Must Have A Minimum 16-inch Barrel And Be At Least 26 Inches Long.

C. If Semiautomatic, A Maximum Of Six (6) Rounds Are Allowed In The Magazine And Chamber Combined.

D. Must Use Expanding Bullets That Weigh Minimum Of 70 Grains For Deer, Pronghorn And Bear, 85 Grains For Elk And Moose, And Have An Impact Energy (At 100 Yards) Of 1000 - Ft. Pounds As Rated By The Manufacturer.

E. It Is Illegal To Hunt Game Birds, Small Game Mammals Or Furbearers With A Centerfire Rifle Larger Than .23 Caliber During Regular Deer And Elk Seasons West Of I-25, Without An Unfilled Deer Or Elk License For The Season. A Small Game, Furbearer Or Unfilled Big-Game License Is Required.

The above is directly from the 2013 Big Game Brochure on Page 12 or can be viewed on the DOW website. To the best of my memory these regulations have been in place since 1992.

Go argue with Colorado DOW!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Well, Well.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ, I am not sure if people just don't pay a lot of attention to the game laws of the states they hunt in, but I don't like the concept of being a Non-Resident and getting hammered with a Game Law violation, especially with so many states participating in the Wildlife Violators Compact Act. I really don't like the thought of losing my ability to hunt where ever I may choose, for any length of time over an equipment mistake.

Some states, Texas and Idaho come to mind have very few restrictions, main ones for both, is no fully automatic firearms and no rimfire for hunting Big Game, although Idaho does allow or did in 2010, allow rimfire for Mountain Lion.

Here are the restrictions for Texas from the 2012-2013 TP&W Outdoor Annual.

NEW LAW: Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:
• white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
•shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
• pellet guns and other air guns are NOT LEGAL.
• fully automatic firearms are NOT LEGAL.
• a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).

Nongame Animals (Non-Protected): Any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun is legal.

Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).

Muzzleloader: Any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle. Note: A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.

Possession of firearms by felons: A convicted felon, regardless of where the conviction occurred, may not possess or use a firearm (as defined by Penal Code, §46.01) to hunt in this state. Under Penal Code, §46.01, a muzzleloading firearm is lawful if it is an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 or a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 that does not use rimfire or centerfire ammunition.

Every state and province I have hunted in have various levels of firearm restrictions in place for hunters. The first thing I do when planning a hunt is check out the firearms restrictions in place in the states I am looking to do a hunt in. Not to eliminate a state because it is more restrictive than another, but make sure I will be in compliance if I decide to hunt in that state.

That is why the firearms ban for Colorado residents is not going to affect my decision to go hunting there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chc, my comment was directed to the fact I and others on AR are not the only ones with the idea of the boycott. If I would hunt Co or any other state of which I am not a resident I would rely on the outfitter I was hunting with to inform me of his or her's state laws regarding proper hunting and gun laws. Since it appears you hunt "on your own" it is incumbent upon you to be familiar with hunting rules and gun laws in any state you hunt in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.washingtontimes.com.../?page=all#pagebreak

Colorado gun bills spark state hunting boycott; visitors pledge to head elsewhere

By Valerie Richardson

The Washington Times

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

DENVER — Michael Bane has a piece of advice for hunters and sportsmen contemplating a trip to Colorado: Go somewhere else.

“You are crazy to come to Colorado,” said Mr. Bane, executive producer of the Outdoor Channel, on his Wednesday talk show on Down Range Radio. “It’s not worth the risk. Spend your money where your culture is. Colorado doesn’t want you here.”

Mr. Bane, who lives in Colorado, represents part of a national boycott movement aimed at the state’s $1.8 billion hunting industry, launched by gun rights supporters last week after Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper signed into law three gun control bills.

Republicans say the boycott should come as no surprise. “We warned them,” said Republican state Sen. Greg Brophy. “And it appears that the boycott is even bigger than we thought.”

Mr. Brophy said gun control proponents failed to take into account the outrage the bills would provoke, particularly in a western state with a strong history and culture of gun ownership. The timing is also bad, given that hunters are now placing their names in the lottery for hunting tags in the fall.

“The impact will be felt mostly by little communities that cater to hunting and that don’t have ski resorts,” Mr. Brophy said. “But if the hunters don’t come, or if they’re down by even 20 percent, we’re really going to feel it.”

The boycott is already taking its toll on Colorado outfitters as hunters from around the nation call in to cancel reservations. More than 60 percent of the state’s hunting revenue comes from nonresidents, who pay far more for licenses than residents.

“We’re getting a flood of emails now that the bills have been signed into law from people who say they like hunting in Colorado, they’ve hunted here in the past, but that these bills go against their beliefs,” said Chris Jurney, vice president of the Colorado Outfitters Association. “They’re telling us that now that Colorado’s becoming a liberal state, they’re not coming back.”

The state had already taken an economic hit with the expected departure of Magpul Industries Corp., an Erie-based manufacturer of polymer firearms accessories. The Outdoor Channel has also announced it will cease filming four of its popular hunting and shooting programs in Colorado.

“The bottom line is, hunters, gun owners, sportsmen, manufacturers — we’re all part of the same group, and what’s happening in Colorado is starting to snowball,” Mr. Jurney said.

Randy Hampton, spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife, said the department has been contacted by hunters concerned about the new gun control measures but insisted the bills would have no impact on hunting.

“We do get people who say, ‘We’re not coming to Colorado because of these gun laws,’” Mr. Hampton said. “But there is nothing in these bills that changes their ability to hunt and fish in Colorado. What this is is a protest against the state legislature.”

Ultimately, he said he believed the hunting boycott fervor would fade. In 2012, 489,327 residents and 86,493 residents procured hunting licenses in Colorado, and “we’re still going to issue the same number of licenses, most likely,” he said.

“We have the resource. We have over-the-counter bull-elk licenses for nonresidents. You can’t find that in other states,” Mr. Hampton said. “Colorado is the elk-hunting capital of the world. There are still plenty of people who want to hunt elk.”

The boycott is designed to do more than deliver a financial hit to the state government. Gun rights advocates worry that the new laws, which go into effect July 1, are so ambiguously written that even careful firearms handlers may find themselves inadvertently running afoul of the rules.

For example, one bill bans ammunition magazines with more than 15 rounds, or that can be readily converted to hold more than 15 rounds. Given how easy it is to add additional rounds to many magazines, critics say, the law could be interpreted to outlaw nearly every pull shotgun on the market.

Mr. Hickenlooper released a “signing statement” last week that says the magazine-limit law will be “interpreted and applied narrowly,” but many gun owners aren’t buying it.

“[Colorado] is now issuing statements, like, ‘No, really, hunters, we won’t arrest you. We’re not going to arrest you, unless we do,’” Mr. Bane said. “No matter what division of parks and wildlife says, those murky areas they refer to can cost you everything you ever wanted and all your rights for owning firearms forever and ever and ever. It’s not worth the risk.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have the resource. We have over-the-counter bull-elk licenses for nonresidents. You can’t find that in other states,” Mr. Hampton said. “Colorado is the elk-hunting capital of the world. There are still plenty of people who want to hunt elk.”

Ask Montana how will it worked to stick it nonresident hunters. That was just a price increase.

This is much more inportant.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chc, my comment was directed to the fact I and others on AR are not the only ones with the idea of the boycott

It has to be refreshing to know that you don't have the market cornered on stupid ideas beer

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps a trip to this website to check your state as a resident concealed permit holder and you just might identify that taking your lawful carry handgun into Colorado just may land you in jail with a soon to be applied felony conviction for violating the Colorado magazine limitation - not applicable if you only carry a 'wheel gun':
http://www.usacarry.com/concea...eciprocity_maps.html

I have two nephews, both are resident concealed permit holders in Kansas. One of the two had hunted fairly regularly in in Eastern Colorado - a recent conversation revealed he won't be hunting in Colorado under the current legislation as his Glock G17 carry gun will land him in jail with a felony prosecution being forthcoming.

So yes the legislation can/will affect many hunters such as himself who have a limited selection of firearms available to them; i.e., his has one .22 rimfire rifle, one deer rifle, one slide action 12 gauge shotgun, and one G17 Glock handgun.

And I'll not get into a discussion as to whether he could/should leave his G17 at home just so he could continue to hunt in Colorado because he has other out-of-state hunting choices where he doesn't not have to make that decision (those are basically his words - my paraphrase).

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rifles have to be a minimum of .24 caliber. You never saw that?

If you don't want to believe me, check out page 12 of the 2013 Colorado Big Game Brochure.

These restrictions have been in effect since at least 1992 when I first hunted Colorado.

Since I cannot figure out how to copy and paste from the Colorado DOW site, I will copy them verbatim from the brochure. Since you doubt the veracity of my statement you can check it out on the Colorado DOW website.

Directly from the 2013 Big Game Brochure, on page 12, left hand side of page, top of page, listed under Legal Hunting Methods - CENTERFIRE RIFLES!

A. Must Be A Minimum Of .24 Caliber (6mm).

B. Must Have A Minimum 16-inch Barrel And Be At Least 26 Inches Long.

C. If Semiautomatic, A Maximum Of Six (6) Rounds Are Allowed In The Magazine And Chamber Combined.

D. Must Use Expanding Bullets That Weigh Minimum Of 70 Grains For Deer, Pronghorn And Bear, 85 Grains For Elk And Moose, And Have An Impact Energy (At 100 Yards) Of 1000 - Ft. Pounds As Rated By The Manufacturer.

E. It Is Illegal To Hunt Game Birds, Small Game Mammals Or Furbearers With A Centerfire Rifle Larger Than .23 Caliber During Regular Deer And Elk Seasons West Of I-25, Without An Unfilled Deer Or Elk License For The Season. A Small Game, Furbearer Or Unfilled Big-Game License Is Required.

The above is directly from the 2013 Big Game Brochure on Page 12 or can be viewed on the DOW website. To the best of my memory these regulations have been in place since 1992.

Go argue with Colorado DOW!

I suppose we can argue semantics but those don't really seem like RESTRICTIONS to me. At least, not in terms of being unusual or contrary to how I would hunt anyway.

I know it's the "cool" thing now days to shoot whitetails with .22 caliber rifles and with bullets such as the Barnes TSX, it is probably a bit more ethical than in the past, but personally, I'd never hunt any sort of big game animal with less than a 243Win. Texas has a restriction stating that big game animals cannot be legally taken with rimfire rifles. Is that a "restriction"? Seems like it.

What is the federally mandated limit on short barreled rifles? It's 16 inches isn't it? To possess a "short barreled rifle" one needs the Class 3 Tax Stamp don't they? I don't see that as being a Colorado specific issue.

I suppose the 6 round in the magazine restriction could be an issue. Seems as though this would tie in a bit with the 223 or AR type weapon. But do note, as your wrote it, it doesn't state a 5 round magazine with another in the chamber. It states that you can only put a total of 6 rounds in the rifle, not that the magazine itself is restricted to only being able to hold 5 rounds. Texas has restrictions on the number of shotgun rounds you can hunt migratory game birds with. Again, I just don't see this as being a "restriction" that stands in stark contrast to other states or generally accepted practices.

There are also restrictions in Texas concerning the use of centerfire rifles during spring turkey seasons. It is required to posses a hunting license for all game animals and fur bearing animals with the exception that depredating hogs and coyotes can be hunted without a license, and fur bearing animals can be hunted with only a trappers license.

Point being that each state has it's own regulations but you insinuated that Colorado had unusual firearms restrictions necessary for hunting in the state. I suggest that the Colorado regulations regarding big game hunting do not stand in contrast to other states, Texas included. Sure, there are some minor differences, but nothing draconian as you implied.

Now, go argue with yourself! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
drummond, we all know you cornered that market years ago.

One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
quote:
It amazes me how any one supporting the second ammendment could ever vote Democrate.
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by don444:
quote:
tu2 tu2

Lets take this a step farther, I dont know how anybody that supports the second amendment could boycott people that not only support the second amendment but are in the middle of a battle to uphold our rights under the second amendment

I guess I was raised differently that Die Ou Jagter, I choose not to turn my back on men and women that are fighting for their right to bear arms and fighting for their freedoms that are guaranteed them under the Constitution of the United States of America.

Die, thanks for making it known that you cannot be counted on to fight when the time comes. Don't worry Die, others that are more patriotic than you will answer the call tu2