New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado's Anti Gun Laws!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I see both sides of this. Do you support a state whose leaders have chosen to usurp the constitution and liberties of ITS citizens, or do you support those citizens? The biggest, and first issue is the governor. Then the democratically controlled legislature. A decent governor could, at least, stop the insanity.

I will choose a third tactic. I will not boycott the state or it's gun friendly businesses. What I will do is boycott the unfriendly businesses, first. Then, I will spend my money to SUPPORT the decent opposition candidate to Hickenlooper. Yes, I will send my money to their campaign. I believe that will do the most good. I am fortunate enough to live in a state with a very conservative governor and legislature so I do not need to spend as much there. I can afford to send some where it is needed.

I was fortunate enough to live in Thornton and Boulder back in the early 80s. I know they have both changed a great deal, but it was a good experience and I know the people of the state are good people.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems to me that the discussion of boycotting Colorado is similar to the one we had here about boycotting Zimbabwe because of Mugabe. If we go there are we supporting our enemy or trying to maintain a viable conservation department and hunting industry?
It's also no different than boycotting the Moscow Olympics. Remember?

Which by and large had an effect.

Or NOT boycotting the 1936 Munich Olympics. Which SHOULD have been boycotted. And which would have had at the least some effect if not on them, on helping to galvanize opposition abroad.

So, I wouldn't rule out boycotts, but it MUST not be against those in that state who are really our friends. Like not hunting there etc. That's NOT the way to go about it.

Think bigger than that...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not Zimbabwe. Lets see if I understand. Colorado citizens elected these people from their own citizens. These Americans decided the Second Amendment does not count. How do we choose to relate to fellow citizens who do not support our constitution?
If I have a deer hunt booked for this fall in Colorado, I can still go and yet rationalize that I support the constitution. Supporting the constitution is one thing, but my personal hunting or financial interest, is more important. God knows the founding fathers didn't give up their immediate personal interests to found a new nation, so why should I? Freedom is fine as long as its convenient.
Sorry, but I can't join the rationalization, self interest bandwagon. I'm going to sacrifice my personal hunting and skiing in Colorado. It is the bare minimum I can do to support my Constitution.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Boycotting Outfitters and guides in CO is shooting our collective selves in the foot. Not one outfitter or guide would support what the CO Legislature passed. These outfitters and guides can't very well pull up stakes and easily move to another state to do business. I stand with my friends in CO.

Ok, so I have to give $400 to CO for a license. Big deal, I am giving at least $4000 + to the outfitter. That money is appreciated by someone who has just had their rights taken away. I am now more inclined to support my friends in CO than I was before.

Nothing in life is perfect. Do what you can to support those on our side.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK so it is well and good to lay pain on the citizens of Pa by boycotting the 9 day show i e the motel owners, restaurant owners etc and the outfitters that lost out on booking channces, but it is wrong to do the same to the people of Colorado, well I'll be damned!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
The people of Colorado overwhelmingly opposed these new laws. You can look at any poll done and the people hated what was being done. That being said, you reap what you sew and my fellow Coloradans that voted these liberal assholes into office are the ones guilty of this travesty.

It will be really interesting to see what happens in upcoming elections. Unfortunately I don't see anything changing. There is a strong Indian and Hispanic population here in CO and I don't see them going conservative just to save our gun rights. Reason being is they shoot anything they want anyway. San Luis Valley and the areas from Pueblo and south are a prime example of this voter population. They would much rather have the government handouts and just take their chances with owning "illegal" firearms.

Just like any new gun restrictions, it just devastates the honest man. Liberals know this but they also know that when you steal from Peter to pay Paul you can always count on Paul's vote. Gentlemen, we're fucked as this is just the beginning. Our forefathers would have already been shooting

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Nobody said life was fair. Smiler

I hear ya, but that boycott was aimed at the show organizer, as a stance against those who would pander to the feel-goodies on the left. Yep, it hurt some good people. Outfitters, gun makers, etc. But, I did notice that one by one a very substantial chunk of them said, "I am boycotting this show as an exhibitor."

They made a sacrifice in the name of our freedoms.

The entire situation sucks. From PA to CO to NY to Chicago to DC and let's not forget our friends in CA. Each situation demands a different decision. How we choose to react is up to each individual.

Personally, I choose to support the guys in CO. That doesn't mean that my way is the right way. It's just my decision. It's how I want to handle it.

I respect your right to act as you see fit, and do not hold it against you. patriot

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
Just like any new gun restrictions, it just devastates the honest man. Liberals know this but they also know that when you steal from Peter to pay Paul you can always count on Paul's vote. Gentlemen, we're fucked as this is just the beginning. Our forefathers would have already been shooting

Amen brother.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell I just choose to disagree with you. Nothing personal but I would choose to not use your services, and I think that is a fair position.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BighornBreath:
Anyone know why the NRA stabbed Coloradans in the back and failed to make a showing or even a statement?

I believe the NRA is "Saving it's ammunition" for the court fight that will challenge these new unconstitutional laws.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the NRA is "Saving it's ammunition" for the court fight that will challenge these new unconstitutional laws.

I sure hope so!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is also a difference between CO outfitters and the PA gun show.

The PA gun show "owners" decided to limit THEIR show. The boycott was not directed against the show participants or even at the hotels which benefited from the show. The owners of the PA show are the cause of the financial loss.

In CO the outfitters had the law shoved down their throats ie. they did not decide to do this. If one of the outfitters decided to support the legislative efforts then I think they are deserving of a boycott. But to boycott an outfitter just because they are in CO is punishing the wrong party.

Not boycotting the PA gun show owners is kinda like not fighting against illegal immigration because this will cost business lost profits. If you are going to boycott all CO outfitters then you should probably boycott all US products and businesses as the US, as a whole, voted Obama into office...again.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there are hunters that hunt Co WITHOUT the aid of outfitters. The outfitters are not the only people that would suffer from a boycott just like the promoters of the Eastern Sportsmen Show were not the only ones to ssuffer from the boycott of the show. The exhibitors had a rule shoved down their throats and stood up against the shove. I didn't say boycott Co outfitters I said boycott Co hunting. It puts a hurt on the whole economy of Co.. What is so hard to understand. So some of the outfitters post here and you don't want to hurt their feelings.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I didn't say boycott Co outfitters I said boycott Co hunting.

If you boycott hunting, are you not also boycotting outfitters regardless if you use their services, or not?

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If boycotting Harrisburg for a week was wrong, how is boycotting hunting Colorado, in perpetuity, right?

Sorry Ed, I just don't understand your position. But, like I said, we all have a right to stand up for what we believe.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Well said Drum. We must support everyone who supports our 2nd amendment.

I know how it feels to live in a state with restrictive gun laws. We have been abandoned by many just because of where we live. I have been attacked on AR just because of where I live.

We must stand together. I am a member of NRA, CRPA, and SCI. They may have warts but the are all fighting for for our gun rights. I wonder how many AR members support the NRA?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, damn it, don't try to change Die Ou Jagter's mind! Let him stay at home, it's his choice.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crap, forgot the smiley face Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well there are hunters that hunt Co WITHOUT the aid of outfitters. The outfitters are not the only people that would suffer from a boycott just like the promoters of the Eastern Sportsmen Show were not the only ones to ssuffer from the boycott of the show. The exhibitors had a rule shoved down their throats and stood up against the shove. I didn't say boycott Co outfitters I said boycott Co hunting. It puts a hurt on the whole economy of Co.. What is so hard to understand. So some of the outfitters post here and you don't want to hurt their feelings.

Ed, please explain to me how a boycott of hunting Colorado will send a message to the anti-gun, anti-hunting liberals there who voted in the current law makers? The reason I don't agree with your logic is that boycotting CO as a hunting destination is exactly what the anit's (gun and hunting) WANT you to do! The libtards don't want you in "their" state with your guns, killing "their" precious cute and cuddly animals. They WANT you to stay away.

The difference with the PA Sportsman Show is that the organizers still WANTED you to come to the show. They just didn't want you to see, handle, or purchase "Black Guns". But they wanted your business. The Colorado liberals don't want you to financially support the portion of the state's citizenry that opposes them. My opinion is that continuing to support the citizens' who oppose the liberals is the proper position to help ensure the balance of power is adjusted in the next elections.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Ed, please explain to me how a boycott of hunting Colorado will send a message to the anti-gun, anti-hunting liberals there who voted in the current law makers? The reason I don't agree with your logic is that boycotting CO as a hunting destination is exactly what the anit's (gun and hunting) WANT you to do! The libtards don't want you in "their" state with your guns, killing "their" precious cute and cuddly animals. They WANT you to stay away.

The difference with the PA Sportsman Show is that the organizers still WANTED you to come to the show. They just didn't want you to see, handle, or purchase "Black Guns". But they wanted your business. The Colorado liberals don't want you to financially support the portion of the state's citizenry that opposes them. My opinion is that continuing to support the citizens' who oppose the liberals is the proper position to help ensure the balance of power is adjusted in the next elections.

Quit trying to talk sense to Die Ou Jagter, he's emotional right now and his mind is made up. I'm serious, if a guy wants to stay home because some liberal assholes got one over on us and the person feels that by boycotting the entire state they are doing good then let em do it. That's not the guy I want to spend a week hunting with anyway. Some people would cut off their nose to spite their face.

Seems to me that there are better ways to deal with your frustration than by boycotting the responsible gun owners, outdoorsmen and proponents of the 2nd amendment in a particular area that are going to spend god knows how much money and time to fight an injustice like this but that's just me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guns are not your only problem. Maybe ours will move there now!

http://news.msn.com/politics/c...gay-couples-into-law

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

I sure hope so!

Me too. We have local sheriff's trying to find a way to appeal and they are vocal. Just think it was in poor taste but ill reserve judgment and wait for an appeal.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shawnmc:
Guns are not your only problem. Maybe ours will move there now!

http://news.msn.com/politics/c...gay-couples-into-law

Isn't that just precious! Add Pot & Gay Marriage and take away the guns. Perfect.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The folks pushing for a boycott are forgetting that the same people here whom support these gun laws are generally the same people who think shooting and hunting are reprehensible.
So, what would these libs think? They would think their agenda is working out pretty well.

The fact is, there are ways to change the Constitution through amendment. The laws which infringe on my God given right to self determination and the freedom to adequately protect myself and my property are examples of the tyrrany our founding fathers warned of and must be vigorously opposed.
The Legislature does not have the authority to arbitrarily impose law upon the citizenry which contradicts both the US Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Colorado.

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am wrong so go to Co spend your money make the economy in Co boom and show them they can do what they want with the second ammendment and you will support them with your monies. In fact more of you go and the outfitters can double their prices because sooo many want to hunt in Co there will be a shortage of people to guide you. This could truly upset the tree huggers there will be soo many hunters in their woods. Tell the politicans kick me again I do love it when you kick me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I was planning a trip to CO this summer. For back packing and fishing.

I will go to freer state instead CO goverment will not get a penny for a fishing lic, gas tax,motel tax,sales tax and any other tax they might have imposed when I was in the state.

Millions and millons of dollars are taken by CO goverment when sportsmen/gunowners to go CO.

This money is surporting a anti freedom anti gun goverment.

I will chose to surport a more freindly place.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those opposed to a boycott, I only have on thing to say on the matter. If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything! For mikem0553 non residents can only vote with their wallets, the "good" citizens of Colorado already spoke about Hickenlooper they voted him into office.

And you can bet that the GREAT citizens of Colorado will vote his ass out as soon as possible.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
It puts a hurt on the whole economy of Co.. What is so hard to understand. So some of the outfitters post here and you don't want to hurt their feelings.

Just like the United States, not ALL Coloradans voted for Hickenlooper. Why cause the folks that did not support this person/did not vote for this person, any further pain, by hurting them economically.

Hopefully, in the next election cycle in Colorado, not only will Hickenlooper get voted out, but so will any of the other politicians in office that supported the anti-gun legislation.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
quote:
If folks don't come to visit us I will understand, but it will be less crowded and there will be more elk to chose from for the rest of us. I can get over it.

That's a understandable response. Problem is, nonresident fees provide for a good share of the Division of Wildlife's budget. Who will make up the difference? The state's general tax funds. Along with that will come demands for greater emphasis on "noncomsumptive" wildlife management and 'ecotourism.' Lesbian llama trekkers won't keep the herds in check so the greenies will bring in the wolves... Wink

(No, I wouldn't wish that on Colorado resident sportsmen.)

Colorado's Wildlife department would COMPLETELY collapse without non-resident license fees, period!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikem0553:
quote:
Those opposed to a boycott, I only have on thing to say on the matter. If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything! For mikem0553 non residents can only vote with their wallets, the "good" citizens of Colorado already spoke about Hickenlooper they voted him into office.

And you can bet that the GREAT citizens of Colorado will vote his ass out as soon as possible.

And when that happens I hope you stay away from CO DOJ. For the record the sheriff in Weld County which is where I live is John Cooke and he has stated that he will not enforce these unconstitutional laws

One of Us
posted Hide Post
drummond, when that happens I will be glad to spend my money in Wy. I will this year in Aug.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The following county Sheriffs have stated publicly they will not enforce the new laws, El Paso county, Moffat county, Routt County, Weld county. Summit county Sherrif has stated the new laws are "unenforceable". Gunnison county Sherrif is telling citizens he is looking the other way and "doesn't have the resources to enforce the laws even if he wanted to" .
I for one am very proud of the County Sherrifs speaking out on this, think of all the rural counties who are keeping their mouth shut and going to do the same.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
The following county Sheriffs have stated publicly they will not enforce the new laws, El Paso county, Moffat county, Routt County, Weld county. Summit county Sherrif has stated the new laws are "unenforceable". Gunnison county Sherrif is telling citizens he is looking the other way and "doesn't have the resources to enforce the laws even if he wanted to" .
I for one am very proud of the County Sherrifs speaking out on this, think of all the rural counties who are keeping their mouth shut and going to do the same.

Exactly!!! It's jsut a warm fuzzy feeling for the Democrats in Denver!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
drummond, when that happens I will be glad to spend my money in Wy. I will this year in Aug.

Good! And when the citizens of CO successfully vote out these liberal assholes don't come back. Stay in WY to hunt

We don't need any fair weather hunters that don't want to support the men and women that are willing to stay and fight for our constitutional rights when they are stripped by a few crooked politicians. When we win, and we will, we don't want you back.

With a German handle I'm surprised you dont have more of a backbone. General Patton once said "I would rather have a German division in front of me than French division behind me" due to the fact that French had a rep of deserting or surrendering during crucial battles. General Patton was obviously not referring to you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
drummond, I haven't hunted in the west since discovering Africa. Basically it is cheaper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its Dutch not German. Der alt Jäger would be what you are looking for. Not your fault. Public education is to blame.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good! And when the citizens of CO successfully vote out these liberal assholes don't come back. Stay in WY to hunt

We don't need any fair weather hunters that don't want to support the men and women that are willing to stay and fight for our constitutional rights when they are stripped by a few crooked politicians. When we win, and we will, we don't want you back.

My feelings exactly!
So, just what are you guys going to do when there is a private party background check requirement nationwide? Give up hunting entirely?
We will persevere and we will win. The notion of representing their constituents is lost on these douchebags and they will get a good civics lesson in 2014.

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't win the last election although you no doubt spent vast amounts of your personal money, time and other resources, so why should anyone believe that you will get your shit together for the next election?

The issue for me is that: I can spend my hard earned and heavily taxed hunting money on those who succeed or those who fail. I don't have enough post tax money to reward success and to subsidize failure. So.
I will hunt red states, so that my money will go to those who succeed. I will not reward failure.

If you do not like your State, move. I'm sure Texas will take Aaron back. If you don't like your State, but don't want to be inconvenienced, then stay. It all depends on the strength of your beliefs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And to think that when retirement loomed we actually looked at Colorado ....... Thanks be to God we went to Wyoming (and Florida) where guns abound, there are no income taxes and bad guys are often shot. FL is a "shall issue state" for CC and WY just got rid of their CC law. Open or CC carry is now legal everywhere that open carry has been. No permits at all.
As my buddy from CO Springs says:"CO has been Californicated". Too bad !

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Wow! I admit that I was not real sympathetic when some of the legislation that was enacted in California, not because I did not/do not feel bad for the hunters in California, but they were out numbered to begin with, and California has for a long time been its own little country on a lot of issues. What happened to California/California hunters-gun owners is a bad deal, but it was just the beginning and now Colorado is the next domino.

As I have said, I have been hunting in western Colorado since 1992, and while my wife and I may not contribute a whole lot of $$$$ into the economy out there, what we do spend, does help even if only minimally. I recently made a comment/started a discussion about having to buy a habitat stamp to enter the draw, bottom line is, Colorado DOW depends on the monies Non-Residents pay into them, and in many areas of Colorado, not the Front Range, small business owners, which include guides/outfitters depend on Non-Residents for part of their yearly income.

Unless or until I cannot bring my hunting rifles into Colorado, I will continue to hunt there every chance I get.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote