New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game cams? Ugh.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 2 cams. Both moultrie 5.0s. They are a couple of years old. Last year one stopped flashing for night shots. I sent it back to the factory, they said it was too expensive to fix and suggested I buy a new one.
I went on the internet and read reviews on this cam, and my cams failure is not at all an isolated incident.
So I started the search for a new brand model of cam. Holy cow there are a lot of brands out there. My eyes started glazing over after about an hour of research.
Suggestions please. I just want descent pics( the moultrie took great pics),a flash is fine, I'm using bait so trigger speed is not critical. And the cheaper they are the more of them I can buy.
I have no use for something that will break every year.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Just waiting for some good advice.

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After looking at countless reviews, it seems to me that you can spend a ton of money on a game cam, or roll the dice.
So I just rolled the dice on ebay for 2 used game cams that work, and some batteries, and a 35mm camera(that I don't want) for the price of 1 new cam.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Don't buy a Cuddyback, mine clearly does not fire. Fresh deer spoor right past it and NO PHOTOS.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have mine on public land so I opt for the $40 units by Wildgame. They work just fine to suit me. If one gets stolen I will be mad, but not nearly as mad as I could be for loosing a $200 unit

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I'm pleased with my Bushnell. Several thousand pix without problems, changed the 4 D batteries once so far.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I bought a Primos Truth Cam 46 this year, really like the unit, but it quit working after one month and about 800 photos... batteries were still at 70%. Sent it back and got another one that has been in the field for about a month with around 3000 photos and some videos... batteries are still at 65% and photo quality is good for a $135 camera. Overall, I really like this camera and hope it will last.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank- I have liked our Moultrie Cams, but we don't use flash. If your Moultrie still works beside the flash I might be interested in buying it from you.

I have heard good things about Bushnells. The higher resolution cams aren't always better. Since their lenses are not high quality, I see no need for a camera with higher than 5 mgp.

--

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually have other uses for it.
It works just fine for watching ground hog holes.
I practice my stalking techniques on groundhogs during the off season. I'm all about the hunt anyway.
I moved into feeding groundhogs and killed one at 1 yard this year.
Sorry, but thanks for asking.

quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Frank- I have liked our Moultrie Cams, but we don't use flash. If your Moultrie still works beside the flash I might be interested in buying it from you.

I have heard good things about Bushnells. The higher resolution cams aren't always better. Since their lenses are not high quality, I see no need for a camera with higher than 5 mgp.

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty great right there. The display at the bottom is particularly nice.
And just like I said though, a roll of the dice, as illustrated by your broken one.

quote:
Originally posted by ghostbird:
I bought a Primos Truth Cam 46 this year, really like the unit, but it quit working after one month and about 800 photos... batteries were still at 70%. Sent it back and got another one that has been in the field for about a month with around 3000 photos and some videos... batteries are still at 65% and photo quality is good for a $135 camera. Overall, I really like this camera and hope it will last.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We bought our first, a bushnell this summer. I never would have guessed that we had so many different bear close to our house.

My wife liked looking at the picts on our tv so much, she wanted to buy that package where you could watch a monitor at home from whats going on at tree stand live from inside our house several miles away; ha. We need more technology involving new guns ME THINKS. Bottomline is we live so far out that we don't have cell phones or towers ect within 200 miles; so wife doesn't get to watch bear on tv from the sofa.

When I told her that she had to set up in the stand at night, she quickly lost interest.

I like that camera just the same.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buy StealhCams the I590 model can be had for under $100 now a days..flashes out to 90 feet/5 pixels which is plenty. Spend another $45 on a StealthCame 12 volt battery pack and for under $150 you have a super camera that has battery life of 3 months and something like 1000 pictures on a cheap 2GB card.
I have six of these same setups currently hanging and no problems at all after 3 years of useage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is one camera sold under the Remington brand that is yet to take a photo of anything, anytime, anywhere to my knowledge.

The basic Cuddebacks (about $200) we've been using the last two years have been a huge improvement over several models of Moultries. There is a software glitch in some of the older Cuddebacks which requires downloading an upgrade from the web, but after doing that they have been flawless.

quote:
Don't buy a Cuddyback, mine clearly does not fire. Fresh deer spoor right past it and NO PHOTOS.

ANN: CHECK on that software on the Cuddeback website -- it will likely fix your problem.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote