THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Desert Sheep poached in UT by well known hunter
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Sheep poached in UT by well known hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted
To be honest, I’m surprised about this!

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46243...illing-bighorn-sheep

KANAB — An Arizona hunting guide can't hunt in Utah and 46 other states as a penalty for killing a desert bighorn sheep with a fraudulently obtained big game permit, wildlife officials said Monday.

Larry Altimus, 69, of Pearce, Arizona, was found guilty of wanton destruction of protected wildlife, a third-degree felony, in 6th District Court in July, according to court documents. He was ordered to pay more than $30,000 in fines and restitution.

Advertise with usReport this ad
However, Altimus’s hunting privileges weren’t suspended until a review was completed this month, said Utah Division of Wildlife Resources spokesman Mark Hadley. Altimus won’t be allowed to hunt in Utah or other member states of the Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact for the next 10 years.

He would still be allowed to hunt in Delaware, Hawaii and Massachusetts, which are the three states not now members of the compact.

During the review process, Altimus and DWR officials each had an opportunity to testify.

“The case is discussed before a decision is made on whether someone loses their hunting privileges,” Hadley explained. “That process happened after the court case was done.”

The conviction stemmed from 2014 incident when Altimus killed a desert bighorn sheep after he had acquired his big game permit through fraud, Hadley said.

Altimus rented a home in Kanab in 2013 and had applied for one of 10 desert bighorn sheep permits for the 2014 hunting season, knowing he would have a better chance to win a drawing for the permits as an in-state resident, Hadley said. Altimus received a permit in May 2014 and then moved back to Arizona the following month.

He then returned to Utah in October 2014 for the hunting season and killed a desert bighorn sheep. He was charged in 2015 and convicted two years later. Hadley said Altimus paid his $30,000 fine, which the DWR lists as the most severe restitution amount possible.

Altimus is listed online as the owner of Hunter Application Service and Altimus Adventures, both based in Arizona, and has been annually hunting sheep since 1969, according to his online biography. While he cannot hunt for the next 10 years, Hadley said Altimus can still guide hunting tours.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The article says he has hunted Sheep "annually" since 1969. How does someone do that?
Maybe now we know....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another "proof": You can't pull shit without getting your ass bit!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
The article says he has hunted Sheep "annually" since 1969. How does someone do that?
Maybe now we know....

He owns a tag application service and a hunting operation and his speciality is sheep

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
All the dirty hookers are having their laundry aired.

Social media is a wonderful tool. It is rare that someone seeking the spotlight in the hunting world will stay on the right side of the law for an entire career.

Not sure why they do it.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how common this is? Move in, apply, and forward mail. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a interesting "loop hole" he jumped through. Even more interesting is that he got convicted through it. Sorta like these kids who use a po box address to attend schools of choice for athletics.

Delaware may become the Australia of the hunting community Big Grin.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, he can look on the bright side. There are still a few farmers in Massachusetts with sheep. Maybe he can keep his streak alive there. Probably a couple in Delaware too

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can you honestly be surprised? How many "public figure" hunters have to be caught before we start to acknowledge a pattern?

This was a coordinated plan not a crime of opportunity. Anyone here think for one second this is the first and only crime this hunter has committed?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:

Larry Altimus, 69, of Pearce, Arizona, was found guilty of wanton destruction of protected wildlife, a third-degree felony, in 6th District Court in July, according to court documents. He was ordered to pay more than $30,000 in fines and restitution.

Does a third degree felony conviction mean that he loses the right to own guns?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12604 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, as I understand the law, it does make him ineligible to own, posses or shoot a modern firearm. The law just says felony, not the level. He can still use a muzzleloader.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more prick who has stole a sheep from from my home state.

Been waiting for years to draw and these type of crooks take away the opportunity.

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Maybe now we know....

He owns a tag application service and a hunting operation and his speciality is sheep

So did he cheat every year or is there some trick specifically known to Sheep outfitters that is legal?
I just want to draw a Desert Sheep and a Colorado Moose before I get too old to make good use of it.
Been trying with the Deserts since 1996, Moose since 1986!
I'll do anything short of criminal or unethical!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well deserved punishment.
Like stated above: Those who seek the spotlight are rarely spotless!

This kind of crap happens way too often and I'm happy to see the DWR taking it seriously. Maybe these "high profile" dudes will start thinking with their brains instead of their egos.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
He can still use a muzzleloader.

Not in New Mexico (if he's still alive when he can legally hunt here again). NM forbids the use of all modern firearms AND muzzleloaders for those convicted of felonies. He would would have to bowhunt here.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
This residency trick happens all the time and 90% of the time is undectectable
To me, I would simply make rule that says “ you are resident , when you prove, you paid previous year taxes , you have permanent residency and swear it in court with hand on bible “
So it is up to Legislators and Fish and Game depts

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe now we know....

I would guess that his annual hunting would include his guiding of other sheep hunters. He hasn't personally killed a sheep every year since 1969.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how he got caught?

Posts: 12024 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would guess that his annual hunting would include his guiding of other sheep hunters. He hasn't personally killed a sheep every year since 1969.

Okay buffybr I'm feeling much better! I was wondering if there is some freakin trick to hunt a sheep every year since 1969 I better find out about it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Okay buffybr I'm feeling much better! I was wondering if there is some freakin trick to hunt a sheep every year since 1969 I better find out about it...

Yes, this is how he was hunting sheep every year. He was hunting them as a guide. Same way I get to hunt sheep every year Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
...still gets to guide. That's crazy.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, this is how he was hunting sheep every year. He was hunting them as a guide. Same way I get to hunt sheep every year

Yeah sorry I panicked! Thought I was missing some neat trick...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading the article on our local news yesterday, I decided to find out more details about the interstate wildlife compact.

It gives the definition of states as: U.S. states, territories and commonwealths of the U.S., it also defines Canadian provinces under the definition of states. This is what I was trying to find out, if Canada isn't part of the compact, he can still hunt sheep every year.

I could not find mention anywhere of any Canadian provinces having signed on to this compact. Does anyone here know if any provinces have done so?

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Some states have an automated process of checking everybody who purchased a residence license to see if they filed a resident state income tax return that year.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right, this was a stupid, bonehead play. Nearly everyone gets caught at this trick these days.

The last month I've been seriously considering moving to Alaska and establishing residency for the hunting and fishing opportunities. I would love to get a little place on P.O.W.,

Logistically it would really be hard to run the warehousing/shipping side of my company while in Alaska and I couldn't relocate it their either.

If I'm not mistaken, once I become a resident, I could be gone for work up to 6 months of the year and still remain a resident. Even if I only did it for 10 years, it would be great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
...still gets to guide. That's crazy.

Not sure about that. A convicted felon cannot possess firearms at all. Since possession can be actual or constructive, you could be charged with Unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree, that is if you have a gun in your hand or the ability to exercise dominion and control over a gun.

Now a guide on a sheep hunt would easily have that ability and not sure what guide would not also carry a firearm, especially in AK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read about this else where. Some pretty reputable people are speaking up for this guy saying very positive things about him, even defending him.

Off the top of my head some of the actions they say he took include: moved there, got a drivers license there, moved his business there including registering it with the state, got car tags there, registered to vote there, abandoned his AZ domicile. One even says that he told an undercover cop posing as a UT applicant that one cannot move there for the purpose of drawing a tag.

Exactly what he did to run afoul of the law I do not know. He was obviously convicted. If what these people said is true, I would like to know the basis of the conviction.

Posts: 12024 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can purchase property in different states, pay property tax school tax, establish a residence in more than one state. You only need receive mail at each residence.... there are no laws against multiple state residencies. I do this in Pa., Mt., Fla. where I own homes. Some bills get mailed to each home depending on time of year I make either of them my primary residence. Be prepared to file state income tax in each.
Why would I own homes in 3 states? Pa where I grew up does not tax pension, Kalispell Mt. is my summer home, Sarasota, Fla. my winter home.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
You can purchase property in different states, pay property tax school tax, establish a residence in more than one state. You only need receive mail at each residence.... there are no laws against multiple state residencies. I do this in Pa., Mt., Fla. where I own homes. Some bills get mailed to each home depending on time of year I make either of them my primary residence. Be prepared to file state income tax in each.
Why would I own homes in 3 states? Pa where I grew up does not tax pension, Kalispell Mt. is my summer home, Sarasota, Fla. my winter home.

Bullshiz!
You can only be a resident of one state.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:

Bullshiz!
You can only be a resident of one state.

In what I do for a living (CPA), one can indeed have multiple residences. However, one can only have one PRIMARY residence for purposes of multiple Federal tax issues.

In this state (FL) , one can have as many residences as one wants in as many places as one wants. However, certain state & local property tax benefits apply to the PRIMARY residence only.

I have no idea how this applied to this situation in Utah. I can't help but think there would be an issue of primary residence as well.

Since I made my original post, I have learned one other bit of information. Apparently, AFTER being drawn for the tag and BEFORE the hunt took place, the gentlemen moved back to AZ.

I have no idea what the law says but that seems pretty stupid to me.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Until you become resident of another state you are still technically resident of previous state
I heard this from several guys around here when they moved early in the year but came back to hunt still under resident tag

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I have no idea how this applied to this situation in Utah. I can't help but think there would be an issue of primary residence as well.

Since I made my original post, I have learned one other bit of information. Apparently, AFTER being drawn for the tag and BEFORE the hunt took place, the gentlemen moved back to AZ.

I have no idea what the law says but that seems pretty stupid to me.

“Under Utah law, however, hunters are not to obtain a resident hunting permit if they move to the state for a “special or temporary purpose.” As someone who makes a living helping clients obtain hunting tags, Altimus was well aware of the rules, according to Kane County prosecutor Jeff Stott.”

This was from one of the articles I read

If he told the undercover cop that was posing as an applicant that he couldn’t move to Utah for the sole purpose of drawing a tag then it seems he was aware of the law

Who knows. I had never heard anything negative about the guy and saw this story and was surprised about it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am certainly not defending him. After all, he was convicted. A conviction is much more serious that being charged by some jack ass trying to make a name for himself. I am trying to understand what happened in light of comments elsewhere. Those comments may or may not be accurate.

It sounds like him moving after he drew the tag was the issue no matter what he had done to establish residency. It certainly seems pretty stupid. He is paying the price as he should for breaking the law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about the details of this as well. I am sure many of us have given this scenario some thought. If he had done this in a state where you can buy a lifetime license, to be treated as a resident in the draw (even if becoming a non-resident later) would this have been illegal?

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will tell you what I wonder about.

Someone works for company X. Company X moves someone to Utah, in part at the employees urging. The employee/hunter applies for a sheep permit and gets drawn. Then company X transfers the hunter to another state.

Is that a problem?

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on your identification method. For instance, I have a home in Kansas and Missouri. I pay property taxes in both. I have bills from both. The key is that legally you can only have a driver's license in ONE state. I believe most states consider that your primary residence. I know your 4473 better match your driver's license. That is what the warden will look at when he stops you.

I have to tell Missouri every year that my 36 acres does not count me as a resident and I pay the non-resident fee, even as a landowner per MO law.

My Missouri Heritage card shows my Missouri address and they would happily issue me my free landowner tags instead of the non-resident, but I am funny about laws. I just follow them and try to change them the right way.

bobby7321, I don't know about other states, but in Kansas if you purchase a lifetime license, you are considered a resident for life and get resident tags. But you have to prove residency to get it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't that hard, which is why he got convicted!Some states the person must claim resident status for 6 months and other states they must claim resident status for one year. It does not matter why they move there. What matters is that they claim resident status WITH a physical presence. You can not rent a house in one state, while never living there and claim resident status. Especially if you continue to claim resident status in another state.

Boycott this poacher's hunting company http://www.hunterapplicationservice.com/index.htm

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You are going to have to claim only 1 state as a resident state for state income tax purposes and your resident state for income tax purposes is going to represent your resident state for hunting purposes.

Most states have a law that says "resident for one purpose, residence for all purposes"

Additionally most states will specify that you must "reside continually", of course incidental travel such as work and vacations do not impact the definition of residency.

If there is an investigation, from DFG or State Tax board the first thing they will subpoena is your cell phone records to determine where you really are living.

I have had many years where I traveled out of state every week in that case there going to look at the pattern of M-F versus weekends.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Under Utah law, however, hunters are not to obtain a resident hunting permit if they move to the state for a “special or temporary purpose.”

Based upon this quote, this seems pretty open ended. No time frame is attached.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here bought a lifetime license in a state where they were a resident, then moved out of state?

Key word, lifetime license. That's the part that would make something like this legal, right? Assuming that a lifetime license grants you resident benefits in the draw.

From what I understand in some states, like Arizona, your drawing entries still would go in the resident pool but you pay the non-resident fees.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote