Find
Notify
Tools

Game Carts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
What is the preferred game cart for something in the range of an 2 quarters of an elk.

Preferrably something one adult man could handle on his own. So a two wheeled model.

I see a lot of options, but not many reviews.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Two quarters?

A good pack frame.....walk it out on your back.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a hand truck with decent wheels, although strap-on skis might be another option over the wheels (like rubber boots over sneakers).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have one with a single front bicycle wheel. Fairly long with a strap attached to both handles that you can put across your shoulders behind your neck to help support the weight. I have gotten out several Whitetails with it and wouldn't change it. Two wheels don't work on steep sidehills or gametrails well. I guess level trails would be fine with two wheels. Not where I hunt though. I also have a rope attached so a buddy (mule) can pull uphill.

I can send you a pic to your cell if you want one.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have a two wheel cart and unless its under conditions as to which I do not hunt like going down a street or fairway on a golf course. I think they are basically worthless. I have one hanging in my shed that's been there for several years. I bought it because it was required for retrieval on an Urban Hunt.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Game carts are useless where I've hunted. Game is packed out on your back.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:

Dave

Same with me after using a two wheeled one several years out in Wyoming. Even having to make several trips with a backpack beats the cart!

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I have several game carts in different styles.

The first one that I built has a pair of handles on one end, a 2' x 4' "basket" in the center, and a bicycle wheel on the other end.

The biggest problem with this one is 1/2 of the weight is held by your arms. The single wheel is better than two wheels for side-hilling or in uneven terrain. Cactus thorns are hard on bicycle wheels. I've only packed deer and antelope out on this one.

I also have this two wheel carrier from Cabela's. All the weight is on the wheels, but it is "tippy" on side hills or narrow game trails.

And I built this one with two in-line wheels. The two wheels make it easier to go over down logs and the in-line wheels are good for side-hilling. I have handles for both ends. I found it to be too heavy because I built it with too thick steel. Last summer I re-built it with only one wheel in the center.

Here is a commercial one with one wheel.

With any of these center wheel carts It would be much easier with two people.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shucks, back in '55 when I first started tagging along with Dad in the high country of CO for elk.
The rancher (long dead now) Orin Bowers had one he'd built with a front wheel off an old wrecked Indian motorcycle just about like this "Commercial" rig you show as the last one. Most of the elk we killed back then we could either drive to, or packed out on horses.

By far the best way I've found to pack out elk is on horses! Cut 'em in half crosswise, split the spine, leave the hide on and hook the horn thru a hole in the hide and tie it down good.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guy I hunted with's wife gave him one. two wheels. We got 3 deer on day and going to take them out on this thing. Was harder using it than just dragging them with a rope. every little branch or something on the way out would tip it. Old guide I had in Colorado in 98 said he cut an Elk long ways with a chain saw (veggie oil for chain lube) and then flip the one half over the saddle with the horn poking through the rib cage, and throw a loop on it to hold it down. But if you don't have a horse, carrying a Leg at a time out on a pack might be the better way than one of these carts.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to a flooring store and look at how they move large rolls of carpet. My nephew works at one an he showed me how a 1000# roll (once loaded) could be pushed around the shop including over the top of small rolls lying on the floor. Easy to manipulate in narrow isles and over rough terrain.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I crushed two disk on a sambar hunt in Australia packing out 3 quarters of a big cow sambar in 2012 or 2013.

Had a steep incline and fell with the quarters slung over my back and ended up pretty weak in the back.

My back isn't what is used to be.

Cow sambar weighed about 500 pounds on the hoof. The ones in Australia are Indian Sambar and almost elk sized.

Looking at hunts in New Mexico and Texas where I will have to pack a nilgai, or oryx, or maybe an elk a mile or two back to the truck on a game trail or closed logging road.

My children are 3-7 years of age, so they aren't going to be strong enough to handle a 1 wheel cart.

Of course like said earlier, stickers, thorns, and cactus are probably the demon of the thing.

I had pretty good luck with filling my tires full of expandable foam in the Mojave desert on my bike.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The entire hunting season from Aug. 1st until Dec. 31st two items stay in my truck bed. The first is an Ameristep two-wheeled cart and the other is my black 48" poly Jet-Sled. If there is snow, the sled handles a half of an elk with no problem. For the flat dry ground like WMA's, closed logging road, agricultural field the cart handles deer and elk quarters just fine. I really like it in Kansas for the WIHA's where you must park out at the road, and walk in. This Nov we drew a Texas public land hunt and hauled 5 deer out in 2 days, varied terrain and never had an issue.

The cart was $69 from Wall-Mart, on sale for $59. When I specified I would pick it up at the store, they applied an additional $10 off. Compare that to back surgery and it is a winner!!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blank,

Thank you for your help!

That is exactly what I am talking about.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
...By far the best way I've found to pack out elk is on horses! Cut 'em in half crosswise, split the spine, leave the hide on and hook the horn thru a hole in the hide and tie it down good...

I won't argue that. For the 20+ years that I had horses, they packed a lot of elk out of the woods for me, along with two moose and two bighorn rams. However, hunting alone, there is no way I could have lifted half an elk over a horse, let alone half a moose!

I also have about a 4' x 6' piece of heavy black plastic (I think I bought it from Cabala's many years ago) that I've slid a couple of elk out on, 1/2 elk at a time.

I slid another elk out on one of those kids plastic toboggans, but it was tough on the toboggan.

I used a common garden wheelbarrow to pack another elk out, 1/2 at a time, that I shot about a mile behind a Forest Service gated road. Luckily, it was mostly downhill.

I was able to drag one cow elk a bout 1/2 mile down to about 50 yards from my car, but then I had to quarter it for that last 50 yards, and to fit into my Subaru.

And yes, I've been fortunate enough to be able to drive up to a few elk, but not many.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I have used wheelbarrow for ages wherever I can
Them damn things work like a charm and everyone has one at home ( up, down, sideways ) no deep snow though as for that , plastic sled will do

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I have a Gametote - see it in action here. Their website makes it sound easy. With a large animal like elk or oryx, it isn't. It'll carry the weight, but a whole animals is unwieldy and not well balanced. I'm going to find a large flat tote that will fit inside its rails. Then I will just quarter those large animals and put the quarters in the tote. I should be able to balance the load much better and not have horns or antlers sticking me in the butt.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a 150# dressed whitetail from our Texas hunt in Nov. We had to go about 500 yards, and up and over the hill in front of us. One person was fine for most of it, and two going up and over the hill made it easy.

https://i.imgur.com/CgXo6UR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2jclQFH.jpg

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:

Dave

Or better yet, on a horse. Wink Especially if it's an elk.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blank:
The entire hunting season from Aug. 1st until Dec. 31st two items stay in my truck bed. The first is an Ameristep two-wheeled cart and the other is my black 48" poly Jet-Sled. If there is snow, the sled handles a half of an elk with no problem. For the flat dry ground like WMA's, closed logging road, agricultural field the cart handles deer and elk quarters just fine. I really like it in Kansas for the WIHA's where you must park out at the road, and walk in. This Nov we drew a Texas public land hunt and hauled 5 deer out in 2 days, varied terrain and never had an issue.

The cart was $69 from Wall-Mart, on sale for $59. When I specified I would pick it up at the store, they applied an additional $10 off. Compare that to back surgery and it is a winner!!!

I use the same things tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I used the Cabelas game cart out in Wyoming for several years I would step inside the handle and rest it down across my pelvis to pull with my body, rather than my hands and arms. If a buddy was along and we hit bad rocks or something, he could lift the back end to help me get over the obstruction. Then we went to backpacking the meat out and the cart has been in storage for many years.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 723 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A word of warning that I thought of on the game carts. They are made to take down easily, and use the quick-clip pins to join the sections. These big loops on that bail are quick to catch on brush and flip over, allowing them to pull out and be lost. If you use them, take a couple extras!

Being a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, I replaced mine with good bolts and nylon locking nuts. No more problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that rubbermade has some huge farm type wheel barrows that might be good too.

Weight is going to be a bastard though.

Would be awesome to find one I could put fat bike tires on for added clearance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Polar-T...om%7C%7C%7C80%7C1%7C

Something like this with handles a guy can get farther back on.

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
So.... What are you going to get?

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure, I am going to Jagd and Hund on Saturday.

I'll see what is on offer here in Germany before we move.

We are leaving in March for the states again.

I have been looking at fat tire bikes, and thinking it would be great if I could incorporate that into the design. That would give me more clearance, and a wider stance.

I am liking the two wheel versions, but like everyone has said tippy on side hills.

Most of my use will be in the desert.