New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gila Buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here’s my buck from the Gila last month. We elk hunted the area a few years ago. During the elk hunt we saw no one for miles. On this hunt, hunters were everywhere. The weather was pretty hot and made for some pretty bad hunting. It seemed by 9 am all the deer were bedded down and they did not get up until dark. My buck was running with 2 other smaller bucks. Those were the only deer I saw in 5 days, so I felt pretty lucky getting this guy.

We surprised a lot of the hunters in the area. No one has ever seen a deer hunter (in that area) from California before. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. Something that us Californians aren’t use to. But we did get accused of bringing California weather with us.

beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Nice buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice deer!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CA, Nice Buck for a tough Hunt. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
The Gila is all up and down, as your picts show. Tough hunting there. Stenuous going up, hard on the joints going down. Congrats on a fine buck.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
The Gila is all up and down, as your picts show. Tough hunting there. Stenuous going up, hard on the joints going down. Congrats on a fine buck.

I shot him about mile straight up a mountain and about 2 miles from camp. All sideways down hill...

2 trips and he was off the mnt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like you had to work for that on! Good job on a nice buck.

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must have been hot. That buck had his tongue hanging out from the heat while he rested in the shade on that rock...

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and nice pictures. Great deer!
I have hunted mule deer twice in New Mexico, south of Silver City and absolutely loved it out there. It's so different from here in Maine where can only see about forty yards in the woods.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've only hunted Northern Mexico (between Castillo and Red River) and Alamogordo. I heard that the Gila is great for Elk.

It looks like the western edge of the Texas Hill Country (obviously mountains instead of hills) - real rocky, dry, and lots of cedar. Meaning not much cover for the elk?

Anyone elk hunted there?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I've hunted both Elk and Mule Deer in the Gila (Unit 16B) . . . missed a Bull Elk, got a Mule Deer. I've seen more Elk than Deer in the specific area that I hunt. Don't know if that holds true throughout.

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, that is a nice buck. Well done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen more Elk than Deer in the specific area that I hunt. Don't know if that holds true throughout.

That’s what I’ve found. Lots of elk.....few deer and drawing an elk tag is hard. Chances are around 5%-9%.