Find
Notify
Tools

150's in 300 win mag...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I just got done making a load up for my girlfriend to shoot out of my 300 win to see if she liked it or not.

After shooting these loads with 150's, which was my first time ever putting a bullet of this weight through the gun, I was amazed at how flat these loads were at 3350fps+.

I know that if I used these on game I'd go with something controlled expansion, like my pet 180 TSX load.

Has anyone used 150's on game out of a 300 and what good and bad have you seen from it?

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went antelope hunting 6 years in a row with a fella who used 150 Sierras loaded to the max in his 300 Mag.
They were very effective out to 350 yards.

I used a 300 Weatherby Mag one year with 165 Nosler Ballistic tips. They too killed like lightening on the 3 antelope I shot with it that year, 1 buck, 2 does.
Both bullets did a lot of damage to the meat.
We always tried to hit them behind the shoulder as we liked antelope meat.

I think a 150 Nosler Partition would be a good choice if you knew your shots would be over 200 yards, but might be closer.

The bigger the animal and the closer my shot might be the "more premium" I would go.
Something like a North Fork, Swift A Frame, Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, or a Barnes X.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Just this past season I took a whitetail with a 150 gr. CORE-LOKT (I felt bad about using that cheap crap, but it was all I could find at the time). My shot was a grand total of about 45 - 50 yards away. Deer was at about a 45 degree angle from me. Bullet entered just back from the shoulder and went, literally to pieces. Mr. deer went all of about 20 yards and then cashed in his chips.
I have a photo somewhere showing the entrance hole, it really is quite impressive. If I can find it, I will get it posted for you.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Magnum61, I did not like the 150 gr. bullets in my 300 Win Mag. My best accuracy comes from 165 gr. Barnes X bullets.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with the 150 Accubond out of a 300 Weatherby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"how flat it'd shoot", yeah, a whole couple of inches at 400 yards.
A friend used to use 150's from his 30-338 on antelope. The results were pretty disgusting.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The 150 grain TSX will work fine for hunting,although i would preffer and do use the 180 TSX check out these 300 yard groups with the 180 TSX out of a 300 Win. http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat...6&an=0&page=0#108976

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
How do you spell B_O_M_B? I had a Sako 300 Winnie years ago and it shot 150 grain Nosler solid bases into a ragged hole at 100 yds off the bench. They were loaded at 3400 fps. That load dropped deer in their tracks. About 250 yards was as far as I killed a muley buck with it...dern thing still had pinon nuts in his mouth he fell so fast. The last whitetail I killed with it was running from some REALLY loud "hunters" and passed in front of me @ 30 yards...she took the 150 on the point of her right shoulder and it blew up. The only thing holding it on was a nerve and a 1/4" piece of skin...lost all the meat off that quarter. It was a spectacular killer and a spectacular meat waster. The exception was shots taken over 200 yards. Funny thing about that particular rifle...it would shoot everything from 150 to 200 grain bullets a half moa or less off the bench except 180 grainers. I tried 13 different powder/bullet combinations and couldn't get moa from any 180 tried.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, just hadn't heard much about them but I know why now.

I'll think I'll stick to the good ol' 180 TSX.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot 150s but I have been shooting moly coated 130 gr X bullets at 3600 in mine. Very very very accurate and very very effective. Like a 270 on steroids.

I am about out of my original supply and I bought a box of 130 gr TSXs to see if I can keep the accuracy. From 130 gr bullets (deer and under) I jump to 200 gr North Forks.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 150gr NP in my 300 win mag on everything from whitetail, kudu, gemsbok ang eland with no problems. The eland ran 50 yds., everything else dropped in its tracks.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I use 150 gr Hornady Interlocks on Missouri Whitetail. I load them slower though.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 150 corelokt and didn't have good results. They might be ok for deer, but they are very explosive and lack pentration. I wouldn't use them on anything but paper. A TSX or partition might be ok.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
150's on game out of a 300 and what good and bad have you seen from it?

Bullet Construction sort of gets tested to an extreme when you run 150s at the speeds you are speaking of.

I load for my self and several close friends that shoot 300s and Despite my opionion that the 300 is better suited w/ heavier bullets, my friends seem to all want "Fast, Flat, and Accurate," A difficult task under most circumstances. Despite how many ballistic charts you show some individuals, they have it stuck in their head that light and fast is much better than heavy and slow even though the heavy bullets catch up in the long run many times.

The 150s I've been loading lately in the 300WM have been the Accubonds. The accuracy has been really good from several rifles and medium game performance has been good as well. Just last season those rifles took approx 20 animals from Mulies, Wild Hogs, Whitetails, and Varmints. Every animal was taken cleanly and most all bullets exited even on long angle impacts. I would not suggest they be used on bigger game but, they did quite well on the game mentioned.

I will say that I've tried cheaper cup and core bullets through 300WM and the results were not good at all. Penetration was terrible to say the least.

Since you are a Barnes TS fan, you might have luck w/ the 150 TS.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet anything that light weight would blow an antelope in half.

BIG question: Why do some guys shoot any animals in the meat?????? The perfect place to hit them is the ribs. Bigger target, don't go far, 100% killing shots.

After shooting a bull elk at 25 Feet as he ran by in front of me. I'll never shoot another 150 at bigger game than muleys'. That one was in my 06, loaded hot as I could get it and hit the point of the shoulder. That bull never even side stepped. But, he'd been hit with a 180H&H from above between the shoulder blades, knocked down, then got up and ran toward the timber I happened to be near where he went is all. About another 25yds he went down and I blew his head apart with another one. We cut open the bullet hole and found a big air bubble under the hide and some 1/2" deep bone pulverized.

That fall I shot a nice big muley buck at 15 feet that ran past me in the timber and stopped with just some short ribs and his butt showing from behind a big pine. I'm not sure if I hit the tree or not, but, cut it close as possible. Went in the R short ribs and out the left shoulder with an exit hole you could bury a basketball in.

In 2000, with the same gun rechambered to .300Win and 180gr corelokts. Had a cow up a real steep hillside 200yds, in 16" snow. It hit center height right behind the shoulders and down she went. Slid down the hill over 100yds toward me. I'd started up that way knowing she'd never slide all the way down. When she stopped, she took off running. I made a bad offhand shot and hit top of hips and broke the spine. When I got up within about 50 feet. Changed guns to my pistol for a possible finish up shot. Looked dead. THen when about 10 feet in front of her head I slipped on a slick rock and looked down. Heard a loud snort and noise, looked up and she was head up pawing hard with both front feet. I feel trying to get me. I blew her head apart.

Upon dressing her out I discovered that rib shot was a surface blow up that didn't even enter the near lung. The hole was 3 ribs long and 2" wide. At TWO hundred yards that bullet should have gone all the way thru her, sure shouldn't have blown up on the surface.

Since then I've gone to Sierra's BTSP 200gr. So far, haven't had a shot so don't know how they'll do. But, I'd bet they won't blow up on the surface.

That's why I flat will not use anything less than 180's on elk in any caliber. I fully believe anyone that does is just asking for wounding and losing game with big surface wounds.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
150 gr. bullets are my choice for my 300 WSM. I've had great results on Kudu, Oryx and Dall sheep.

For something elk size I would probably prefer a 165. For moose I would probably see a reason for a 180.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I would echo Reloader's comment. Very fast bullet + medium-large game sometimes equals excessive bullet fragmentation and perhaps loss of animal.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I've shot several Whitetail and pigs with 150's out of my .300 WSM with great results.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a few deer with 150s out of a .300 Weatherby. It worked fantastically, even at close range, but it totally wrecked the front end (always got exits, but they were BIG exits). Same thing with standard 165s out of a .300 Win Mag. I know something can't be too dead, but they weren't any deader than deer I shot with heavier, controlled expansion bullets and I didn't wreck near as much meat.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 150's on four roe deer in Poland (small deer, ay 50 lbs or so)

Deer 1: 150 yards distance, 30 yard dash, dropped dead.
Deer 2: dead in its tracks, distance 80 yards.
Deer 3: neck shot, from behind, 70 yards, very dead.
Deer 4: 200+ yards, hit the shoulder 1 1/2 inch from the brisket. Did a back flip, and was dead.

Remington Power Points. Not a lot of resistance on these little deer. Would opt not to use them on white tail or mulies. To put things into perspective, I've used a 9.3x63 for most of my roe deer hunting in Europe. I like big holes! Big Grin

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote