New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is up with TEXAS hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently begun to investigate hunting and long range shooting opportunities in Texas only to learn that, much like the England of old, only the royal landowners have hunting rights in Texas. The peasants are left to pay unbelievably high prices to hunt for deer that the landowners do NOT own.

The deer belong to everyone!

Near Austin, you can’t even find a decent shooting range that isn’t a dusty gravel pit where one could shoot a rifle beyond 100-yards. I went to one range on some guy’s ranch and the ranch workers would drive their ranch vehicles on a dirt road directly behind the target!!! They would slow down and take a look see if anyone was shooting and then drive on by – I am not kidding at all!!!! That is a dead ranch worker accident just waiting to happen.

I’m not even sure I can believe anything like this could take place anywhere in America, much less the Texas I’ve always heard so much about.

How is this possible??? To close-off hunting to all but a handful of residents, seems about the most un-American thing I have heard of in a looooong time.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Yes, the deer belongs to the State, but the land belongs to the landowners. They have the right to decide who hunts on their property. Nothing new. The same all over the U.S. What's your point?

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Yes, the deer belongs to the State, but the land belongs to the landowners. They have the right to decide who hunts on their property. Nothing new. The same all over the U.S. What's your point?

My point is that is it obviously unfair to all the rest of the Citizens of The State. Most other States have State Land that the peasants can hunt on.

Maybe The State should start taxing the landowners on their hunting fees to create a fund that the State could use to obtain public land so all those little annoying peasants could have some of the benefits of being a Citizen of The State too?

Or is the idea of that offensive to you?

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, you just beat by seconds
I looked to see where Bastrop is, just outside of Austin. No surprise

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well - thank you for that, gentlemen! But isn't most of that archery only, and/or Dove only?

I am not the kind of hunter that hunts for trophies -- I want to hunt to get lean, chemical and hormone free, natural meat, like people used to eat when the country was full of very healthy folks (that could just walk out into the woods and hunt).

I do not besmirch any landowner, but the scales are kinda skewed here in Texas, and its kinda surprising given the History and lore of the state.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
You are the one that lives in Texas. Figure it out yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:

Mark

Austin makes me as sick to my stomach as do proud Americans that hire illegal alien low wage laborers and then complain about those illegal alien low wage laborers getting every entitlement they can...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mad, bro?

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Karl:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Clark:

Mark

Austin makes me as sick to my stomach as do proud Americans that hire illegal alien low wage laborers and then complain about those illegal alien low wage laborers getting every entitlement they can...[/QUOTE

Karl...Idea..Find I-35 and start driving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in Arizona and have a friend with a ranch I can hunt any time. Go out and talk to people, the worst they can say is no. Then go ask someone else.
I ask everyone I meet if the have hunting land. I was talking to a guy in line at Disney World who had a place to hunt, got his number.

I would drop the attitude first before talking to a rancher

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You mad, bro?

Not at all.
You have the leftist, entitlement attitude of people from the Austin area.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Clark:

Mark

Austin makes me as sick to my stomach as do proud Americans that hire illegal alien low wage laborers and then complain about those illegal alien low wage laborers getting every entitlement they can...[/QUOTE

Karl...Idea..Find I-35 and start driving.

I touch a nerve?

Forgive me for daring to be a Natural Born Citizen of America. The nerve of me...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
quote:
quote:

You mad, bro?

Not at all.
You have the leftist, entitlement attitude of people from the Austin area.

M

I would suggest that your reading comprehension skills need improvement.

I lived in Arizona for 25-years - there are lots of opportunities for the peons to hunt there.

Why would my observations of Texas get your feather so ruffled?

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Karl,
If you are close to Austin and looking for wild game for food, I could hook you up with Dragon Deez, let me know

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were talking hunting in TX, not AZ.
That is where the ranch is.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Karl,
If you are close to Austin and looking for wild game for food, I could hook you up with Dragon Deez, let me know

Thank you, sir.

But, with respect, I am sure I can not afford it if it is anything close to the fees I've seen on so many of the hunting ranches that are reasonably close by.

It was just a surprise to learn the facts here in Texas - I had no clue.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
There will actually be no charge for dragon deez nuts across your bitchin face.
Sincerely,
A Private Landowner in The Great State of Texas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
There will actually be no charge for dragon deez nuts across your bitchin face.
Sincerely,
A Private Landowner in The Great State of Texas

You one of them guys with the big belt buckle that sleeps with your daughter?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Tax the landowners?

TFF

They already pay taxes on their land.

If you want to hunt public land......you will need to hunt out of Texas or move to a state with public land

Sincerely
A private land owner and lease holder of private Missouri land

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Tax the landowners?

TFF

If you want to hunt public land......you will need to hunt out of Texas or move to a state with public land

It was a purely rhetorical statement.

The larger issue here is that when those that have, tell those that don't have, to go F themselves, we wind up with the Federal and State Governments we have -- it is sad that we've become this kind of country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't care about trophy quality, there are plenty of places within an hour of you where you can kill does and spikes for a small daily fee or even a cheap season lease. Look in small town newspapers and ask around at feed stores and the like.

Though Texans generally feel pretty strongly about private property rights, you'll also see that they're very generous people if you don't ask them for something the first time you meet them. If you regularly go to Woods & Waters meetings and are generally friendly and interested in what others have to say, or if you start volunteering with outdoors-related nonprofits, you'll find yourself with free hunting opportunities before too long. But if you lead off by complaining about Texas...

Finally, if you aren't interested in looking for a cheap day hunting or season lease opportunity, and if you don't want to put the time in at an organization, you can always submit for draw hunts through TPWD. Some of the odds aren't so bad, and you get bonus points every year you aren't drawn. And the application fees are dirt cheap.

Good luck to you.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My point is that is it obviously unfair to all the rest of the Citizens of The State. Most other States have State Land that the peasants can hunt on.

Maybe The State should start taxing the landowners on their hunting fees to create a fund that the State could use to obtain public land so all those little annoying peasants could have some of the benefits of being a Citizen of The State too?

Or is the idea of that offensive to you?

Oh yes, the State should all the privately owned land and open it up for all the people.

You should think about relocating to places where they do that, like North Korea, Cuba, China.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
If you don't care about trophy quality, there are plenty of places within an hour of you where you can kill does and spikes for a small daily fee or even a cheap season lease. Look in small town newspapers and ask around at feed stores and the like.

Though Texans generally feel pretty strongly about private property rights, you'll also see that they're very generous people if you don't ask them for something the first time you meet them. If you regularly go to Woods & Waters meetings and are generally friendly and interested in what others have to say, or if you start volunteering with outdoors-related nonprofits, you'll find yourself with free hunting opportunities before too long. But if you lead off by complaining about Texas...

Finally, if you aren't interested in looking for a cheap day hunting or season lease opportunity, and if you don't want to put the time in at an organization, you can always submit for draw hunts through TPWD. Some of the odds aren't so bad, and you get bonus points every year you aren't drawn. And the application fees are dirt cheap.

Good luck to you.

Thank you. Those are good suggestions that no one, to date, has made.

I haven't asked anyone if I could hunt on their land because it is not something I've ever even heard of before living in Texas. Furthermore, I am not the type of person that would ask to hunt someone's land because it is rude. I wouldn't invite myself to someone's home for dinner either...

I have made more than a few polite inquiries as to hunting opportunities in Texas and most of the replies were not as considerate as yours.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Tax the landowners?

TFF

The larger issue here is that when those that have, tell those that don't have, to go F themselves, we wind up with the Federal and State Governments we have -- it is sad that we've become this kind of country.

I got mine from hard work and dedication toward goals

It is not my responsibility to provide for anyone else....past my tax's

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as good outdoor ranges in the Austin area are concerned:

http://www.texasshootingrange.com/

https://austinrifleclub.org/

Again, joining a hunting/fishing organization like Austin Woods & Waters would help you more than anything when questions like these come up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Tax the landowners?

TFF

I got mine from hard work and dedication toward goals

It is not my responsibility to provide for anyone else....past my tax's

Yeah, you're right - I've never worked and never had a goal in my life...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
As far as good outdoor ranges in the Austin area are concerned:

http://www.texasshootingrange.com/

https://austinrifleclub.org/

Again, joining a hunting/fishing organization like Austin Woods & Waters would help you more than anything when questions like these come up.

I've seen the Austin Rifle Club before but did not think it was a pure shooting range? Seems like more of a club for competitions?

I've never seen the Texas Shooting Range in Liberty Hill!!! That looks like it might be worth checking out.

I never heard of Austin Woods & Waters before, either!

Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the bank, borrow some money, and buy a ranch. Then post your address here and let anybody who drives by shoot your game.

You'll be a hit with your fellow peons...

You really have a highly developed sense of entitlement to other people's property.

Can I borrow your truck some spring? I'm sure you wouldn't mind sharing with a peon...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have recently begun to investigate hunting and long range shooting opportunities in Texas only to learn that, much like the England of old, only the royal landowners have hunting rights in Texas. The peasants are left to pay unbelievably high prices to hunt for deer that the landowners do NOT own.

You're either a fraud, new to Texas, or have had your head in you asss ever since you've been here. Are you for real?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Go to the bank, borrow some money, and buy a ranch. Then post your address here and let anybody who drives by shoot your game.

You'll be a hit with your fellow peons...

You really have a highly developed sense of entitlement to other people's property.

Can I borrow your truck some spring? I'm sure you wouldn't mind sharing with a peon...

This from a guy that is angry that I wasn't fool enough to buy his obsolete bullets...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:

You're either a fraud, new to Texas, or have had your head in you asss ever since you've been here. Are you for real?

You wearin' one of them belt buckles too?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you seem to really be into this father daughter stuff. Personal experience...?

I'd move back to LA if I were you.

I wouldn't sell you the sweat off my balls if you were dying of thirst.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just 5-minutes ago got an email from my Uncle in southern Missouri - sayin I can come hunt on his land (south of Fort Leonard Wood) "any time I wanted".

I'll be there Nov 12 to 22 (MO deer season).

That solves this problem!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
you seem to really be into this father daughter stuff. Personal experience...?

I'd move back to LA if I were you.

I wouldn't sell you the sweat off my balls if you were dying of thirst.

You poor, small, old man you...

You know, it is people like you that get Barak Obama and Hillary Clinton, elected, because young folks see you being an old douche, and they vote for people you hate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not even sure I can believe anything like this could take place anywhere in America, much less the Texas I’ve always heard so much about.

How is this possible??? To close-off hunting to all but a handful of residents, seems about the most un-American thing I have heard of in a looooong time.[/QUOTE]

America and Texas existed a long time before you came along, Karl. The Republic of Texas had a huge amount of public land: the eastern third of what is now New Mexico, the eastern third of what is now Colorado, and parts of southern Wyoming. However, the war for independence left the Republic broke and in 1845, when Texas became a state, it ceded its public lands to the United States. Parks and Wildlife has done a good job of opening areas across the state for hunting: deer, turkey, doves, quail, ducks and geese. Some are subject to draws and some are open for the payment of an annual fee. TPWD has brochures on it. More areas are needed because our population is growing so fast and Texas has to spend heavily on all types of infrastructure: roads, schools, hospitals, and so on. Go to the TPWD website and download or order the publications on public hunting. Bwana 1 posted the link.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:
quote:

How is this possible??? To close-off hunting to all but a handful of residents, seems about the most un-American thing I have heard of in a looooong time.

America and Texas existed a long time before you came along, Karl. The Republic of Texas had a huge amount of public land: the eastern third of what is now New Mexico, the eastern third of what is now Colorado, and parts of southern Wyoming. However, the war for independence left the Republic broke and in 1845, when Texas became a state, it ceded its public lands to the United States. Parks and Wildlife has done a good job of opening areas across the state for hunting: deer, turkey, doves, quail, ducks and geese. Some are subject to draws and some are open for the payment of an annual fee. TPWD has brochures on it. More areas are needed because our population is growing so fast and Texas has to spend heavily on all types of infrastructure: roads, schools, hospitals, and so on. Go to the TPWD website and download or order the publications on public hunting. Bwana 1 posted the link.

Thanks, blanco!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quick Karl:

Ya'

JG,

donttroll

jumping

JAPPFT,

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well - I want to hunt to get lean, chemical and hormone free, natural meat, like people used to eat when the country was full of very healthy folks (that could just walk out into the woods and hunt).

if you want something that grew without hormones, don't eat meat.

I work in the dairy industry and so sick of hearing everyone complain about the antibiotics & artificial hormones in their food, guess what they aren't there.

any carcass that shows signs of lots of needle pokes gets checked even closer than most carcasses, all milk is checked for safety before processing.

that being said i'm all for hunting for my dinner but not using the excuses that the media & hate groups have pushed upon the ag community.

also look at other states like your uncle's, I live in NY but love traveling back to visit my family for bear & the first day of deer season in PA

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote