THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which .30 cal Big Game cartridge for a custom rifle?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .30 cal Big Game cartridge for a custom rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brooks Range

I'm going to suggest the 300WM only because of the great performance I have had with it. My rifle is a custom FN mauser with a 24" Lilja barrel and the 200gr Nosler's roll out at 2975fps, 180 SAF at 3150fps and the 168 TSX at 3250. All 3 of these loads will shoot and inch or better. Compare those numbers to real Weatherby/Ultra etc. velocities and you will see it takes quite a bit more powder to gain much over the WM. You can also build it on a '06 length action rather than a magnum length.
For me the WM is just more practical and gives you more bang for the buck.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If as you say it's going to be a world wide hunting cartridge, and that includes coming to Godzone Country, (New Zealand), with a 300 Wheatherby,an Ultra Mag or Dakota, then bring your ammunition with you, their ammunition is about as common as rocking horse poo here.

The 300 Win mag is available here, it will do the job. The Winchester is an established cartridge that can be found in places other magnums can not.

If ammunition availability were not a problem, I'd still go for the Winchester. Smiler

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today I would not bother with a custom M70 if it required a plastic stock. Instead the Kimber Montana would do what a 70 would do and they have an excellent stock. They are SS and all. The obvious path of least resistance to me.

My first choice would be the Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 WSM but I might be tempted to get a 325 WSM also.

Kimber will make a long 8400 Montana in some standard length cartridges next year.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .300 Win. Mag. as the question was limited to 30 caliber rifles.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
any of the carts listed with north fork bullets...dakota was my vote

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for Holland & Hollands .300 Cal Smiler!

Good caliber, which I happens also to shoot with Cool!.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
I've own both. The 300 Win Mag can be built on a lighter action. It also gives up very little to the Weatherby. Since you said worldwide, no doubt it's the Win Mag. Good luck finding ammo for the Weatherby in some of these villages in Alaska.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winmag, Is my choice. Really performance wise, it is a toss up. Got a coin? Then you get to availability of ammo. The winmag wins here. Ease of reloading. Toss up. Cheapness/availability of compopnents or ammo? I think the winmag wins here too. Nostalgia H&H. Pretty rifles, Weatherby. I got the winmag. Good hunting. "D"

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
300 Win Mag ... ammo truely available all round the world thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 H&H is the caliber I would choose. I load it with Oryx bullets made by Norma and it feeds and shoots flawlessly. Good old pal!

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
300 wby

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Heres mine. .300 WM built by Mark Bansner. Its an "Ultimate Sheep Hunter" .As far as your choices in cals go, I would have to pick my favorite "all 'round" cartridge(300 WM), but I would have to say that my .338 WM would get the nod for most of the species you listed!

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote