THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which .30 cal Big Game cartridge for a custom rifle?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .30 cal Big Game cartridge for a custom rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
I am looking for an All-Weather Stainless Steel, Kevlar-fiberglass-composite type stocked model 70 custom. Weight around 7.5-8.5 pounds bare- in 300 Win.Mag., H&H or Wea. or Jarett chamber. Heard some things about a .300 Dakota too. 25" barrel, no longer and no shorter

It would be my primary hunting rifle to hunt the world. Main focus Canadian and Alaskan species: Moose, Caribou, Sheep, Elk, Black Bear, occassional interior Grizzly, all African plains game (though on Eland I'll probably use a .375).

Which listed Cartridge and why? I will mainly use 200gr. premium bullets. I might try the occassional 165-168gr. for Sheep and Caribou.

Also, will consider improving the chambers of some of these if it makes sense at all. Again, I need someone with experience on this please.

Thank you again gentlemen.

Choices:
.300 H&H Magnum
.300 Winchester Magnum
.300 Weatherby Magnum
.300 Dakota
.300 Jarrett

Posts: 26 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .300 Weatherby Magnum. Ammo is available world wide on top of being a class act. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I voted for the Weatherby, only because of the animals you listed. But, if it were me and the same list of animals, I would bump the caliber up to .338 Win Mag, but not a Weatherby.

As a matter of fact, I have a SS/Syn 300 Weatherby Mk V that I took to Africa two years ago that I have been thinking of selling. Shot a red hartebeast with it at 349 paces and dropped like a rock. Along with several other nice animals. Has some hunting marks on it. But shoots fine.

My problem is on the bench it kicks like a damn mule. I would rather shoot my 338's, 375 H&H or 416 Rem Mag than the 300 Weatherby. The recoil impulse is too sharp.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
300 Weatherby.
300 Weatherby.
300 Weatherby.
300 Weatherby.

clap

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

posted Hide Post
I would have voted for a .300 Rem Ultra if listed. I would pick up a Ultra, .300 WSM or the .300 WM in that order. Good luck on the hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 weatherby!!!

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Damn that was easy!! .300 Weatherby. World wide!!!

I believe if the .30 Newton was around it would be in you poll!!

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 WM. I'm considering this same problem, and though I'd rather have a 30-06, I may go with the 300 WM because it was never a military cartridge and ammo is available worldwide.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
.300 H&H because it's the "original" .300 Magnum, not to mention it feeds slicker than owl snot and will equal or surpass the .300 WM and comes real close to the .300 WBY with judical handloads.....

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I just had my "Do all" rifle built by Bill Leeper in BC.

It is a stainless M70 in 300WSM.

Why didn I pick the 300WSM? I liked it. I have had a 300WM before. I liked it too...

It feeds very nicely. it will give me 300WM performance in a factory load, although when reloading a WM will slightly beat the WSM.

I'll post some pics later. I cannot think of a better all around rifle than the one I jsut had made.

It is light, tough, accurate, and you can kill anyhting with it..Although I will still take my 375 H&H for the next grizz hunt I go on-even though last time a 7RM with 160gr X bullet took that coastal grizz right out...

I will shoot 165-180gr bullets in my 300WSM, and with X bullets, there is no need to go to a 200grainer... Cool

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any or all of them will make a fine choice. Seems many responses favour the Weatherby with one reason cited being the availability of ammo world- wide.

I live in the U.K and although we have almost draconian gun-laws, we have access to a reasonable amount of shooting, of which our largest natural species is Red Deer.

Much of the major brand U.S ammo is available here and 300 Win Mag is popular ( also the WSM), Weatherby is again imported into the U.K but in small numbers, most shops do not readily stock the ammo.

I have in the past visited shops in Zambia, Zimbabwe abd Namibia and again a similar story. From what I have seen there, the 300 Win Mag does appear available, not too sure on the Weatherby though.

If you do travel to far off shores and become parted from your ammo, this can be a problem with the more esoteric cailbres, it happened to me on 2 occassions, each time I was using .375 H&H so no real problem, just inconvenience.

Should however the ammo be unavailable in your port of call, things become more serious.

Just my observations

JT

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go with the Weatherby, as most replies thus far suggest, you have to make up your mind whether you will incorporate the long Wby freebore or not. If you want to be able to shoot factory loads, you almost HAVE to include the long freebore. On the other hand, although it can be made to work and does so in a number of rifles, the long freebore is a potential problem as far as accuracy is concerned. A lot of custom .300 Wbys come with a much shorter freebore to generally improve the accuracy potential. Other than that, the Wby has a lot going for it - great supply of components, dies and factory ammo. But, as with all .300s, it can get a bit pushy, so make sure you are comfortable shooting a caliber with this amount of recoil. For people who can handle it, it is a great cartridge.

A .300 RUM would be another high performance, high recoil option - but probably not as plagued with the issue of freebores as the Wby is.

The .300 H&H can be loaded to almost Wby levels and it is a true classic. You could get problems with case stretching due to the outdated shoulder design, though.

My own choice would be a simple .300 Win Mag. It is universally available, and in the field, there is little practical difference between the various .300s. Of all the cartridges you mention, this is the easiest caliber to get the best in components (even Lapua brass!) and dies. Recoil is also less pronounced than with the Wby/RUM/Dakota class cartridges.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
300win mag gets my wote any day!

quote:
(even Lapua brass!)

If you got the money!! Big Grin

regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .300 H&H......if you have a .375 H&H it just has a nice ring to it, and it's a good round.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BrooksRange check this rifle out and no it is not mine. Smiler

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat...82&an=0&page=0#75282

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
ALthough most of the posts favor the 300 Weatherby, the polls say otherwise. Most here know tht I own and shoot the 300 Weatherby for most of my hunting. Matter of fact, I just used it in Africa for a second time with great results. Having said that, the 300 Winchester magnum crafted by somebody like Echols, Penrod,or any of the reputable gunmakers would be a more practical choice. Yes the Weatherby can realistically best the 300 Winnie by 150 fps or so, but the availability and lighter, trimmer action of the Winnie I think will suit the rifle you are trying to build a bit better.

Personally, I thnk the 300 Weatherby is arguably THE mot ersatile caliber around, but given the constraints you've placed on your rifle, the 300 Win mag is the way to go. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't pick a .300 Mag. for the Canadian game you are interested in as I prefer the .338 Win Mag., but, since that is your choice, I voted for the .300 Win. and would use a 200 gr. NP or TBBC, perhaps a Northfork. I don't like Weatherbys and hhave shot lots of them, the .300 Win. will do it in the field as well as anything else mentioned and is more practical, IMHO.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If I could own only one .30 it would be the .300 WinMag. It would be a practical hunting tool rather than a piece of art, stainless steel and composite stock. It would have to be accurate. If I were to conceive a second rifle in .30 it would be a .300 H&H and I would have it done with the same criteria as a DGR. It would combine nostalgia with reliability and it would be good looking.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I went through the same thing just last month, buying my dad a rifle. I went with the 300 WinMag. Ammo is literally everywhere (in lots of configurations), and it's cheaper than the Wby. It's got the speed and power to shoot anything he will be hunting for. I doubt he will be booking any brown bear hunts... For antelope, deer, bear, elk, it's the ticket.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
For me, the 300 Win. Mag. has done everything I've asked it to do on bears, sheep, elk, pronghorn, moose, several varieties of deer, hogs, scores and scores of African plainsgame animals, plus three of the Big Five -- two Cape buffalo, lion, and leopard. Well over 100 big game animals, and more to come this season.

It's the one cartridge in this world that I refuse to do without.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 WM needs a little bit longer magazine to get around it's short neck.

Since your going custom this should not be a problem. While the COL is 3.34" a mag over 3.4" would be very good. A little bit longer throat would be a compromise that I would like too.

Plenty of standard actions have been opened to 3.6" for the magnums so it should be easy for your smith to make room for the 300 WM to breathe.

Stay away from the odd cartridges. The 300 WM has enough capacity for .30 caliber bullets.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 300 Weatherby just because I figure it is the best of the breed.

I'll grant you the 300 Winchester ammo is a little easier to come by , but the Weatherby has been a world wide cartridge for many, many years......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get a Win Mag, simply because I am an accuracy nut and the .300 WM has a better winning record at long range than the Weaterby, but I haven't checked in a long time.

The other reason: any advantage the Weaterhby has in terms of velocity evaporates as long as one can practice. And the .300 WM is easier on barrels than Roy's version.

I am curious...you mention 200 grain bullets and 165s, but no mention of the best all around .30 bullet - the 180 grain. How come?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I am curious...you mention 200 grain bullets and 165s, but no mention of the best all around .30 bullet - the 180 grain. How come?

For me the performance of the 165 gr. bullet, especially out of .300 magnums, showed they shoot as flat as 150 gr. but penetrate almost as well as 180 gr., thus deleting the need for either the 150 or 180 gr. bullets. That leaves just the heavier 200/220 gr. to go with the 165 gr. for hunting needs. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Brooks, I'm the sole vote for the .300Dakota. It's a well balanced cart. not too overbore, fits a std. action (if you decide on another action), brass is available. If you were building a classic express rifle my vote would be .300h&h.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrooksRange:
I am looking for an All-Weather Stainless Steel, Kevlar-fiberglass-composite type stocked model 70 custom. Weight around 7.5-8.5 pounds bare- in 300 Win.Mag., H&H or Wea. or Jarett chamber. Heard some things about a .300 Dakota too. 25" barrel, no longer and no shorter

It would be my primary hunting rifle to hunt the world. Main focus Canadian and Alaskan species: Moose, Caribou, Sheep, Elk, Black Bear, occassional interior Grizzly, all African plains game (though on Eland I'll probably use a .375).

Which listed Cartridge and why? I will mainly use 200gr. premium bullets. I might try the occassional 165-168gr. for Sheep and Caribou.

Also, will consider improving the chambers of some of these if it makes sense at all. Again, I need someone with experience on this please.

Thank you again gentlemen.

As much as I love the ol' .300 H&H, given your criteria I would chose either the .300 Win Mag or the .300 Weatherby Mag. Of these two, I'd chose the .300 Win Mag. Also, there is probably better factory ammo availability (in case your ammo is lost) around the world for the .300 Win or .300 Wby.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
ALthough most of the posts favor the 300 Weatherby, the polls say otherwise.........Having said that, the 300 Winchester magnum crafted by somebody like Echols, Penrod,or any of the reputable gunmakers would be a more practical choice.
jorge

Jorge, how about a Weatherby crafted by Penrod! Big Grin

I think the three major .300's ( H&H, Wby, & Win ) are so close to each other in practical performance the choice comes down to which name does one prefer saying. I chose Weatherby. I wouldn't chose Dakota, Jarrett or RUM in a .300 because of limited avalability of brass and ammo. Both today in the furure.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Its too bad the Dakota isnt as readily available as some of the others, if it were then leaving behind the "wonder belt" would be a no brainer. For the same reason I would also choose the Ultra over the Weatherby. But for what your looking for its hard to beat the Win Mag.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
BrooksRange

Ideal caliber for longrange in 30cal must be 7,82 Warbird.

In this case I would take a 308 Norma mag or 300 Holland & Holland

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter if you are shooting long range or short, I would pick the 300 wby(with a premium bullet like a Barnes that would not fail on a very close shot) I have had a Weatherby Vangard for several years and it is an extention of me and I trust what it can do. Coues Deer @ 300-400 yards - Elk @ 50 yards. It will handle what you need handled. You won't go wrong with any of the ones you listed though.

riodot

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Pre 64 Model 70 .300 H&H mag, 26 inch barrel, 3x9 Leupold scope. Great rifle very accurate, feeds very smoothly and never fails.Real easy to reload for with lots of options.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.300 RUM Much better performance than the .300 WM. Seems to push more than kick. Brass is easy to find.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
IF you want a rifle that shoots 150-220 grain bullets accurately consider the 300H&H. Another thought is the 30-338 Win Mag if you are a reloader, has more neck on it than a 300WM to hold and align the bullet and very powder efficient and accurate cartridge

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
300 is good but 338 is better go 338 wm and never look back

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Broks,

I have been in a similar circumstance. I am leaning toward the .300 win. mag., though, I have a slight tendency towards a .338 win. mag. Shot placement is everything anyways.

To anyone, what is the case capacity of the .300 win. mag. vs. the .300 H&H? In other words, if both are loaded hot, which one will be faster? I thought that the .300 win. mag. would win out, but based on what Buster has said, I just want to know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be my primary hunting rifle to hunt the world.
quote:

Without a doubt the 300 win mag.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love my .300 Whby!! I love it alot! thumb
i worked up a load of 180gr Nosler Partitions for this seasons elk hunt, and my range time went well. I am an average sized guy and don't find the recoil in my weatherby to be any different than in my little brothers win mag shooting the same bullet. The chrono and the targets say i get better performance out of the whby.
I chose the weatherby for its performance, but as far back as i can remember hunting with my dad, weatherby was the talk of the town, the very best...i know that influenced my opinion!
gotta love that .338 win mag for world wide use though

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
300 Winnie

Components are real easy to find and factory ammo can be had just about anywhere. The 300 win mag is a tolerable recoil as well, w/ the Weatherby a Muzz Break may be needed depending on how recoil sensitive you are. It's also the most popular of the choices and "if it aint broke, don't fix it" sort of applies to the many many hunters that have had such success w/ it.

Good Luck w/ your Choice.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personaly i would go for a .338mag, or the new .325wsm. Just to make sure nothing short of a mean grizzly gets put down.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 300 Wby and a 300 H&H for years, but sold the Wby some years back after I went to using 200 gr. Noslers, the 300 H&H almost equaled the Wby and did it with a lot less blast and jump and I just liked it better...Today my favorites are the 338 Win and the 300 H&H...The .338 shoots a 210 Nosler at 3005 FPS in my gun and it sure is a killer, it may be my all time pick...

That said, one is about as good as another, there is precious little difference in any of them....and don't forget the 30-338.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote