THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    18 MORE DAYS UNTIL MY FIRST ELK HUNT!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

18 MORE DAYS UNTIL MY FIRST ELK HUNT!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
IMHO it doesn't get much better than hunting elk on horseback. Congratulations!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the nice comments. It was truly a hunt of a lifetime, not just the hunt but the whole experience that I was able to share with my wife and friends.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! What made you choose your 300 over your 340? Great bull!

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. That looks fantastic. It had to be tough to turn down some shots at some monster elk too. A great picture of your wife on horseback too capturing the fun of it.

I was looking forward to this hunt report. I will have to chew on it some though as it looks from your pictures , and as you say, its steep. My legs have had several repairs on them including fusing one up. I only have so much climbing hills in that leg. Heck I remember how tough winter elk hunts were 30 years ago and I was still on good legs.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Tex: thanks for the comments. Regarding your leg issue, they will and can accommodate. There was an older gent there in his 80 and slight Parkinson's and he did great. Also, as we were leaving there was a big ol' boy that must have been 300lb on the hoof (he was out of breath just climbing onto the porch) and they took care of him as well. It is truly a first class outfit

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:

One word: WEIGHT. the 300 is built on a Mauser action and sports a 24" barrel making it almost 2lb lighter than the 340. I did take my pre-64 338 with 210 TTSXs, but I had the 300 when this bull showed up. I'll save the 340 for a moose or brown bear Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jorge!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:

One word: WEIGHT. the 300 is built on a Mauser action and sports a 24" barrel making it almost 2lb lighter than the 340. I did take my pre-64 338 with 210 TTSXs, but I had the 300 when this bull showed up. I'll save the 340 for a moose or brown bear Smiler

Awesome! Sounds like you made some great shots!

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Nice bull. Congrats.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Way to go Jorge. Trip to store in long term memory. tu2

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote