THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    18 MORE DAYS UNTIL MY FIRST ELK HUNT!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

18 MORE DAYS UNTIL MY FIRST ELK HUNT!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Getting excited. Hunting with Roulon Jones' outfit Broadmough Canyon Ranch. Can't wait!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Hope it turns out to be all you expected. Would enjoy hearing the story and seeing pics when you get back.

The elk should still be bugling then shouldn't they?

I was in New Mexico last week and heard the first bugle on Wednesday. It was awesome to hear.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yessir, supposed to be bugling and a good time to hunt them. Weather is also supposed to be reasonable. Will provide a full report when I get back!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Nothing like the first blush of dawn hearing the bugles. The anticipation is probably one of the ultimate hunting experiences.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck! I understand how you feel. I am 23 days away from my first antelope hunt with JeremyKS.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Getting excited. Hunting with Roulon Jones' outfit Broadmough Canyon Ranch. Can't wait!

jorge....different forum.....but YOU SUCK!

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you hunting the high fence portion or the free range portion. they list 100 percent kill rate

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Are you hunting the high fence portion or the free range portion. they list 100 percent kill rate

One week, both areas.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:

jorge....different forum.....but YOU SUCK!

Big Grin

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country and a great time of year to be hunting elk! From my understanding either portion of the ranch is excellent hunting and you are in for quite the experience!

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

One week, both areas.

you should have a great time the mountains are wonderful at this time of year

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not too far from where I live. You will love the country up here and wonder why you didn't hunt elk sooner! You'll have a great time!

I have my Texas friend coming up here to hunt elk on the general elk hunt. I really hope we can get him on one.

There is nothing like being on the mountain hunting elk!

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Just go easy with the cow scent while you're bugling or that bull might just come up to you and want a kiss... holycow dancing shocker

One month till opener for me..

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Good Luck!!! Most first timers have no idea what the size of an Elks antlers look like. A small Elk looks BIG. Google how to Field judge Elk Antlers and you will have a better idea of what your looking at.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So are you flying Jet Blue??? Cool

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, what's your weapon of choice? Despite what Cal Pappas and Todd Williams might opine, a DR is not the most effective rifle for Elk :-)

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the hunt. I hunted around Broadmouth a long time ago. You'll have a great experience. Depending on where you're hunting on the ranch, you might be able to use your double. Cool

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really looking forward to hearing about this hunt. I would like to get up there and hunt this area too maybe with my son or daughter.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:

So what's your handle over on 24?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:

So what's your handle over on 24?

My mama did not raise a fool.I don`t want an ass kickin !!!! Wink

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
Good Luck!!! Most first timers have no idea what the size of an Elks antlers look like. A small Elk looks BIG. Google how to Field judge Elk Antlers and you will have a better idea of what your looking at.

Actually, I think an elk is one of the easiest animals to judge. Look for the longest point on the rack - it should be the sword point. If not, you are looking at a small bull. Next, look for two tines behind the sword point - one other tine and the main beam. Now look at how long the "sixth" point is - the last part of the antler after the last tine or 5th point. If that length is longer than the distance between the 4th and 5th point, shoot him. And of course, if he has two tines off the main beam after the sword point he is likely a monster.

If he looks directly at you and lifts his head, look for the "whale tail" drop - the end of the rack will drop almost straight down. One final check: look at the main beam. Does the main beam end with the sword point with the 5th and 6th points branching off, or does it "carry" through the entire length with the 4th and 5th point coming off that main beam?

I find caribou, sheep, deer, and esp bears a lot more difficult to field judge. The most difficult? Tahr.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jorge. Elk hunting is magical in the Rockies. Inhale the experience, then knock down that 6x6 bull!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents. Down under two weeks to go now! Just returned from my hunting lease in SE Georgia. I use 1/2 gal water filled jugs for practice. 5x5 out to 350 yards with both my 300s. I'm ready!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Good luck,
Im leaving in about an hour. Headed to N.M. for the second archery hunt.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't they just smoke a GIANT ?
I've seen a bull killed by "Broadmouth Canyon
that is unbelievable! With a bonus drop tine!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I hunted Broadmouth Utah back in September of 2000 and shot a nice bull with my .338 Winchester. Guide was Chuck Creamer. It's beautiful country, but rugged and steep in most places. You'll have a great time. tu2

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, guys. Vaughn. what ranges are average there? I'm taking my 200 Weatherby w 180 TTSXs

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks again, guys. Vaughn. what ranges are average there? I'm taking my 200 Weatherby w 180 TTSXs

200 Weatherby.I hear that is a 20 cal based on a 378 Weatherby.Must be like a laser. !80 grain 20 caliber bulet must be around 5" long.Damn!! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt. Don't get too wrapped up in points and inches, just enjoy the experience. You can always go bigger next time and there WILL be a next time!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Talked to a friend that used to guide up there and he said a lot of the shots were in the 200 yard range. They also have a great range to zero your rifle when you get there. Good luck!

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range with the two rifles I'm taking ( I always take two when I go on "money hunts"), the other is a Model 70 in 338 with 210 TTSXs. Both the 300 and this one are dead on at 200, but I suspect I will have to do some adjusting as I'm at sea level and the hunt will take place between 5 & 8K feet.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you back jorge? How did it go? We're all waiting for pics and a report! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Howdy gents, returned yesterday from a fantastic five days with my wife and best friends at Broadmouth Canyon.

Outfitter: Rulon Jones Boradmouth Canyon Ranch
Rifle: Mauser action Weatherby (1957) in 300 Weatherby and 180gr Barnes TTSXs.

Outstanding, first class operation with a fantastic staff, superb meals and accommodations, and the weather could not have been any better. I had trained hard for this hunt, but let me tell you, between the altitude ~7-8K and the steep terrain, it really kicked my ass. My guide Hyram, was in fantastic, mountain goat-like shape, and of course this old Naval Aviator's ego kept writing checks my body just could not cash, so lots of motrin and bourbon cocktails to compensate.

The amount of elk are incredible and in fact, the reverse of what I am accustomed to, in that there were SO MANY above my pay grade elk, I had to pass up over a dozen. Packed out on horse back and I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed it. Even had my wife out. Anyway, on the evening of the second day as we were glassing whilst on a "finger" between two canyons, this nice bull showed up behind us at 435 yards and a 30 degree uphill incline behind us. We only had about an hour of light left, so we closed as much as we dared to, getting the range down to 302 yards. While I caught my breath as I was in "stall buffet" Smiler he spooked and ran even further uphill, but a combination of a cow call from the guide and a whistle from me, he stopped and gave me a perfect broadside shot at 330 yards. First shot square on shoulder, followed by a second shot that literally (as we saw during the autopsy) center punched the heart. He did not go down, so Hyram told me to give him another one that double lunged him and he finally went down. He was on a very steep hill and it took us about 20 minutes to get there, then the real world started. We got on the radio for the "recovery team" and by the time they got there we had him fully dressed and halved for transport in a Polaris ATV. Let me tell you guys the terrain was STEEP!

The Bull:

The view from where he fell looking down. We were on that brown finger when we glassed him then moving to where you can see a trail on the lower left where I shot from:

And me and my REAL Trophy, my wife Dawna, who's been putting up with me for 34 years:

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jorge.Thats quite a bull. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jorge, That's a dandy first bull!

Great report.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Congratulations on a great bull and glad everyone had a good time!!!

I've got those exact same bib overalls. For being Wal-Mart specials I CAN'T wear them out! beer

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding my friend! tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great, I'm happy for you, when you going back??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, it looks like you had a great time. Now let the addiction begin!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote