THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Why do people use too little of gun on game ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do people use too little of gun on game ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It kills me when grown men cant shoot a big enough gun for the game they shoot.I now use a 338 win mag for almost everything in the lower 48 big game wise and my 338-378 wea for Alaska.I hear guys using 22-250 for moose .I swear I hope they get the crap stomped out of them or a bear tear them a new one.The 223 for deer is the other one.I used the 243 win a while and while good on small does it sucked on big bucks.If you can shoot a big enough gun you need to hunt on the computer .Stop being suck a bunch of winning wennies and get with the program.I shoot my 338 win mag at least 100 times with a past pad and my 416 up to 150 times in a day.A frickin 30-06 aint going to kill you.I wish a 25-06 was the littlest deer caliber allowed.The 260 rem is good for kids and women but dudes stop being panzies.I swear you need a pink 22 if you cant shoot a frickin 30-06 !! Just my thought of the day.I am with Elmer Keith a 338 bullet 250 grains or more 2500 fps will kill anything in North america alot better than these dang 223s or 243s .Sure I will hear from winers and wennies go play on the computer !!!!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Dgr416, are you having a bad day? Frowner Cheer up, man, it's huntin' season! dancing

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you can handle is a 416, and that with a Past pad? Are you recoil-sensitive??? :-)

Posts: 20149 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
yuck

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you what, why don't you send me that pink .22 and even call me all the wimpy/pansy etc. names you can think of. All the while I'll be out at the range shooting a free rifle!

If we don't try, we don't do. And if we don't do, what are we here for?

Posts: 47 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I was going to take my 257 Roberts deer hunting this year. I better go out and get a 338 win mag.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dgr416--you are correct, we have a bunch of pansies out there in the woods with inadequite weaponry. The big problem is they can shoot, hunt on this here computor but can't shoot the correct rifle at the game in the field. There are a lot of computor Danial Boones but not real hunters/sportsmen. One hell of a lot of wannabees if you know what I mean. Most of them can't get away from the house, scared of recoil, animals, darkness, woods being lost etc. One hella va shape. Have a good day.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is it dgr416 & ztreh seem to need "Hoket on fonix"?

Maybe the excess recoil from too many big guns has rattled their brains!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

This thread is good for entertainment value anyway....

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are entitled to your opinion, but there isn't a whitetail or a mule deer alive that can't be easily killed with a .243 or even a .223. I'm not a huge fan of either of them for deer but I certainly wouldn't question the manhood of anyone who chooses to use either of them. As long as you aren't crippling animals and not recovering them, I don't especially care what cartride your gun is chambered for.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
My .375 H&H barely worked last year due to bullet failure. That damn Nosler 300gr. Partition didn't expand for crap and left a .375" exit wound.

(*I'm surprised the deer even fell down at all.)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
It kills me when grown men cant shoot a big enough gun for the game they shoot.I now use a 338 win mag for almost everything in the lower 48 big game wise and my 338-378 wea for Alaska.I hear guys using 22-250 for moose .I swear I hope they get the crap stomped out of them or a bear tear them a new one.The 223 for deer is the other one.I used the 243 win a while and while good on small does it sucked on big bucks.If you can shoot a big enough gun you need to hunt on the computer .Stop being suck a bunch of winning wennies and get with the program.I shoot my 338 win mag at least 100 times with a past pad and my 416 up to 150 times in a day.A frickin 30-06 aint going to kill you.I wish a 25-06 was the littlest deer caliber allowed.The 260 rem is good for kids and women but dudes stop being panzies.I swear you need a pink 22 if you cant shoot a frickin 30-06 !! Just my thought of the day.I am with Elmer Keith a 338 bullet 250 grains or more 2500 fps will kill anything in North america alot better than these dang 223s or 243s .Sure I will hear from winers and wennies go play on the computer !!!!

Guys, this is actually funny!

dgr416, what the hell is a "past pad"? What the hell is a "winning wennies" or a "winer"? Man congrats, I think you've created a new language!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

dgr416, what the hell is a "past pad"?

Think half of padded man-bra for your shooting shoulder. rotflmo

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dgr416,

Thanks for posting, I needed a good laugh tonight.

But to seriously answer your rant.

There are some of us that realize bullet placement trumps diameter, length, powder charge, rifle, optics, and color of the underwear you are wearing.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some guys probably do use their rifles same as they do their cars, and try to compensate. The guy in the hummer 2 is using a 378Weatherby for antelope. so some of us if following that logic end up having to use way too small a gun. Personally I won't do it, I'm not gonna drive a miata and not gonna hunt big game with a 22. jumping

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ztreh:
dgr416--you are correct, we have a bunch of pansies out there in the woods with inadequite weaponry. The big problem is they can shoot, hunt on this here computor but can't shoot the correct rifle at the game in the field. There are a lot of computor Danial Boones but not real hunters/sportsmen. One hell of a lot of wannabees if you know what I mean.

Right on brother! I know exactly what you mean!! Check out this link for the perfect example: Wannabe Exposed

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Are they making those past pads or patch pads or whatever in hot pink?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a suggestion for an effective and economical shoulder-protecting recoil absorber -- but if you're not secure in your sexuality you can stop reading now:

Heavy duty feminine napkins with the adhesive strips (yes, the kind that stick to the crotch of your panties) make outstanding (and obviously, disposable) recoil absorbers. Shoot that big gun and never get bruised again! (Not recommended for shooting in mixed company or with casual acquaintences.)

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with dgr416. That drives me crazy.

Posts: 1331 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Here's a suggestion for an effective and economical shoulder-protecting recoil absorber -- but if you're not secure in your sexuality you can stop reading now:

Heavy duty feminine napkins with the adhesive strips (yes, the kind that stick to the crotch of your panties) make outstanding (and obviously, disposable) recoil absorbers. Shoot that big gun and never get bruised again! (Not recommended for shooting in mixed company or with casual acquaintences.)

"your panties?"

Can't say I wear panties or the pads...

Does remind of the time I went to the store to get among other things, some tampons for a girl friend (now ex). As I placed the tampons on the checkout counter the clerk asked if that all for me.

"Oh, those aren't for me," I said.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with ya, man. I have a hunting buddy who didn't like using his 30'06, so he traded it in, bought a .243, magnaported the .243, then asks me at least 3-4 times a year whether or not he should buy a lead sled! I always, say: save your money, and buy a bunch of ammo, and shoot it. I'm guessing that he'll buy the lead sled, then try to scheme a way to get it up into his ladder stand. Some guys are just marshmallows.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
DGR416 You crack me up. That is all.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
dgr416--you are correct, we have a bunch of pansies out there in the woods with inadequite weaponry. The big problem is they can shoot, hunt on this here computor but can't shoot the correct rifle at the game in the field. There are a lot of computor Danial Boones but not real hunters/sportsmen. One hell of a lot of wannabees if you know what I mean.

Right on brother! I know exactly what you mean!! Check out this link for the perfect example: Wannabe Exposed

Thanks for the link, I missed it as I don't cruze that section of this fine forum. It's the best laugh I've had this week. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
just pick up a 30-06/180 and go hunt

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is it dgr416 & ztreh seem to need "Hoket on fonix"?

Maybe the excess recoil from too many big guns has rattled their brains!

animal

~Ann

Posts: 19310 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Funny stuff... I'm going to start my hunting with a 22 K hornet thread next.... popcorn hammering

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
There are some who view it as a challenge to hunt with a small gun. And some who do so because it is the only one they have.

And then there are others who honestly believe that using a .25-06 on whitetail is over kill. I have met all three.

I prefer my 7mm Mag and .308

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
dgr416--you are correct, we have a bunch of pansies out there in the woods with inadequite weaponry. The big problem is they can shoot, hunt on this here computor but can't shoot the correct rifle at the game in the field. There are a lot of computor Danial Boones but not real hunters/sportsmen. One hell of a lot of wannabees if you know what I mean. Most of them can't get away from the house, scared of recoil, animals, darkness, woods being lost etc. One hella va shape. Have a good day.

You spouted the same drivel against Rob once. He officially challenged you to a shoot off to see who was better, you ar him. Funny thing is, you never bothered to answer him.

I'm kind of thinking that you're one of those "internet experts" with an alligator mouth but a tweety bird ass.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer from 22lf to over 40 cal DGRs they well all kill deer.

After 43 plus years of shooting deer and seeing hundreds of them shot.

I prefer guns 25cal and bigger my normal deer guns are a 300sav and 06.

But if I had a 223 in my hands and needed to shoot a deer. I am sure I woud end up eating that deer.

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flags:
quote:

You spouted the same drivel against Rob once. He officially challenged you to a shoot off to see who was better, you ar him. Funny thing is, you never bothered to answer him.

I'm kind of thinking that you're one of those "internet experts" with an alligator mouth but a tweety bird ass.

HeHe, I may have to use that one again myself sometime!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you knew my laye friend Jerry, you would not say that. Jerry was a hunter from the get go. A serious car accident screwed up his right should so badlt that he could no longer hunt with his pet 30-06. He turned to his little .257 Roberts Mannlicher stocked carbine and hunted with it until cancer stole his life away. Two thing about him; he knew how to hunt and he was a very deadly shot. Deer and elk feared his .257 Bob. He alays said that he knew the .257 Bob wasn't an elk rifle but it was the most rifle he could handle anymore. He gave m that beloved 30-06 as he knew it would be used and cared for.
I have two rifles I will never give up. My Great-grandfather's Winchester M94 carbine in 30-30 and that rifle Jerry gave shortly before he passed.
As for me? I've hunted deer with the .243, .257 Bob.270, 30-06 and lots of cartidges in between and above the 06. I've been know to shoot pocket gophers with a .375 H&H just to keep in practice. I shoot a .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby every once in a while just to keep my hand in so I'm not afraid of recoil. However, as I grow older, I'm almost dead center into my seventh decade, shooting those hard kicker is not quite as much fun as it used to be. Arthritis in both shoulders has gone a long way to taking the fun out of the big guns.
FWIW, I don't much care for the .243 as a der round but lots of people do like it. Same with the .257 Bob. I have hunted with it one time about 6 years ago. Just haven't drawn another deer tag since. DAMMIT! Maybe next year.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What a pussy.My 10 year old grand daughter rabbit hunts with a 458 Win. BOOM

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like your might be a piss poor marksman.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
drg416,

I, too, sense something negative your post that sounds like "I'm bigger and better than others". Hope that's not the way you meant it. So...I'll assume it's not and answer:

quote:
Why do people use too little of gun on game?

The simple answer is that they choose to!!!

I have a friend at work and we debate a lot about velocity, penetration and bullet weight. He's of the opinion that "Velocity Kills". His favorite deer/hog rifles are his 257 Wby and 7 STW with light for caliber bullets. Me, my favorites are my 270, 303 and 8x57 with heavy for caliber bullets.

We both want the meat. His strategy is to shoot a grenade into the lung area and doesn't want an exit hole. Me, I want 2 holes and will take a high shoulder shot in late evening to anchor them DRT.

Once we got on the subject of 223s for deer/hogs. After some discussion, we found we both agreed that either of us could kill probably just as many with the 223 if that's all we had.

BUT, both of us would choose something bigger if we had a choice!!!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:

Thanks for the link, I missed it as I don't cruze that section of this fine forum. It's the best laugh I've had this week. Nate

You are welcome. I find it hilarious also, truly a case of deafening silence.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is some serious frustration. I would have hated to seen dgr as a teenager! Eeker

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about a new .50 cal for a pronghorn rifle Cool

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but anyone who thinks .260 Rem isn't adequate for deer has no credibility with me. I see more of the opposite of the OP's theory. Guys using way more gun than they can comfortably shhot. They flinch like crazy and can't hit shit!

I use a .308 most of the time but also use a 30-30 quite a bit. Does the job fine within a couple hundred yards. I wouldn't hesitate to use a .243 or .260 for deer with the right ammo. I've seen deer go down with 1 shot from a .223 and another deer take 4 shots from a .338 and keep going, btw. Placement and good ammo will usually win the day.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kjjm4:
You are entitled to your opinion, but there isn't a whitetail or a mule deer alive that can't be easily killed with a .243 or even a .223. I'm not a huge fan of either of them for deer but I certainly wouldn't question the manhood of anyone who chooses to use either of them. As long as you aren't crippling animals and not recovering them, I don't especially care what cartride your gun is chambered for.

+1

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's one in every crowd (and I'm hoping for his sake he was absolutely wasted when he posted). You need a .338 mag for every game animal? What a jackass.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote