THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Why do people use too little of gun on game ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do people use too little of gun on game ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
There's one in every crowd (and I'm hoping for his sake he was absolutely wasted when he posted). You need a .338 mag for every game animal? What a jackass.

Agreed beer
The Africans have it right. 375H&H should be min caliber for hunting in NA! OK with proper bullets and energy an 06 should be OK for squirrels. rotflmo

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Why do people use too little of gun on game ?

Because they are comfortable with the the size of their penis... rotflmo

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder what he thinks about killin moose
with a 30-30 ?
Seemed like enough gun to little
ole' sissy me.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338 is the worst caliber I've ever shot.
Completely hate it.
Kicks like a mule and doesn't seem to perform any better than any 300 I've shot.
I've yet to meet anyone who thinks the 338 is a smooth action.

With that said I hate seeing my buddies going into the field with little calibers to shoot deer. They're never as good a shot as they think they are.

Inevitably it turns into half a day of tracking small specks of blood before finding the deer hundreds of yards from where they were shot.

And, fwiw, I don't want any part of eating shoulders. It's the worst part of any animal. So blowing them out is a good excuse to not have to eat them. Big Grin

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!! A thread on AR that really sucks bat chit. pissers pissers pissers bsflag bsflag bsflag

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was at the range and there was a guy who had a lead slead for his 375 H&H. He was complaining about how he had missed 2 elk at under 200 yards. He shot 4 or 5 rounds and was amazed that it was still dead on at 100 yards. So he trys it off had and does not even hit the 2 foot target. What was so funny was he could not figure out it was him not the gun.

Posts: 68 | Location: WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olefish:
I was at the range and there was a guy who had a lead slead for his 375 H&H. He was complaining about how he had missed 2 elk at under 200 yards. He shot 4 or 5 rounds and was amazed that it was still dead on at 100 yards. So he trys it off had and does not even hit the 2 foot target. What was so funny was he could not figure out it was him not the gun.

He'd probably be eating elk steaks instead of trying to figure out what was wrong with his rifle if he used a .270. Big Grin

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olefish:

I gotta say that the 375 is impressive. Didn't think I'd like it but dang mine was good for 250 yds and the knockdown power rocks.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The guy I work with on shift is back from an Elk hunting trip. His Uncle took a 5x5 with a TAC 20 at 174 yards.

It was a head shot and went into the brain. Stunt? Well maybe to some, but if he shoot's it so well then is it too small? I watched him on video take a nice muley at 234 yards with one shot, same rifle, into the chest. Bang, FLOP.

I think if you can shoot well enough, the choice of caliber is of very little consequence. Given similar bullet construction, a well placed shot from one caliber to another has a very similar wound channel. The small differences between calibers is all the fodder for argument, however the end result is usually hard to compare the differences.

If people don't shoot a larger caliber well enough it's not going to result in quick kills only because it's larger. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate
Hear!hear!
You put it in conversational English
That anyone can understand and
I couldn't agree more.
Understand the weapon and
Understand the prey.
Interrupt the oxygen reaching the brain
Sharpen your knife

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Aaron, with allowances for typing-challenged writers, he means a "Past(R) recoil pad" that belts to one's shoulder.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have not shot any of my rifles lately, since they are packed away while I'm working in Japan, but for the big bores, I favored and even took to Africa sorbothane pads that I safety pinned to my shirt. They really reduce recoil better than anything else I've found and they are not intrusive.

In fact, as I am sure most others would agree, I found that when you are actually hunting, recoil doesn't matter so much, but it was helpful to me to use the pad when at the range and especially from a bench.

I understand that you can also get sorbothane butt pads, available under the Kick-EEZ(R) brand, but I haven't chosen to put those on my rifles. Sorbothane also is available in boot insoles, but I have not tried that either. I may some day, as it is good stuff.

Norm
___

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

Guys, this is actually funny!

dgr416, what the hell is a "past pad"? What the hell is a "winning wennies" or a "winer"? Man congrats, I think you've created a new language!

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
dgr416 wrote: “I used the 243 win a while and while good on small does it sucked on big bucks.If you can <sic> shoot a big enough gun you need to hunt on the computer .Stop being suck <sic>a bunch of winning <sic> wennies <sic> and get with the program.I shoot my 338 win mag…”

Ztreh wrote: “There are a lot of computor <sic>Danial <sic>Boones but not real hunters/sportsmen. One hell of a lot of wannabees if you know what I mean. Most of them can't get away from the house…”
-----

Besides such a mastery of the English language, you guys have also cornered the market for hunting expertise and should be the sources to who everyone turns for hunting and ballistic advice. Your knowledge is uncanny and your comprehension of what hunting is about and what it requires simply amazes all who read your postings here. Roll Eyes

OK, I’ll turn off the sarcasm mode for now…

During my hunting career, I’ve put literally thousands of pounds of game into freezers and have never, ever heard one of the animals scold me for not using a .338 Winchester Magnum. For the game I hunt, it is not needed. There is only one degree of dead, and the calibers I choose bring about quick, humane kills and don’t require a jug of powder or a pound of lead to get the job done. In fact, I am adamant when I say that matching the bullet to the game and the velocity window you are shooting at – coupled, of course, with good shot placement – is much more critical to success than waving around some super-duper Dino Magnum that has you reaching for the aspirin bottle after a 3-shot group.

And dgr416, if you can’t cleanly kill a buck with a .243 WCF and good bullets, you either need better shooting skills, better stalking skills or need to practice restraint when picking your shots.

As to the “can’t get away from the house” nonsense from ztreh: First, that comment has no bearing or relevance to the discussion at hand. And secondly, it is offensive to anyone who does indeed have a hard time getting away from the house due to physical disabilities.

I used to be quite agile and in terrific condition and felt I could stalk any game I’d ever encounter. But now I am disabled, and my “hunting” involves the use of a couple shooting platforms near the house. I originally said I was offended by your commentary, but it is actually your attitude that repulses me.

My weapons of choice are generally Contender rifles fitted with high quality optics and carefully-tailored handloads. I am a stickler for precision, and if something doesn’t meet my exacting standards, it doesn’t hang around for very long. And there isn’t a deer, pronghorn or hog that ever walked the trails of Texas that couldn’t be neatly dispatched by such numbers as the 6.5x30-30 AI, 7mm Bullberry, 7-30 Waters or the 30-30 AI.

Here are just a few examples to refute your logic:

The bruiser below was taken with the miniscule 7mm Bullberry and a 120 grain bullet at 2651 fps MV.

The next hog fell to the 6.5x55, which belongs to a league of cartridges that’s deemed to be for “pansies” <sic> according to dgr416.

And this buck must have died from excessive laughter when he heard that the 6.5 Bullberry IMP (aka 6.5x30-30 AI) I was using operated at no more than 40,000 c.u.p. and generated barely over 2600 fps with a 129 grain bullet.

The 7-30 Waters shown here is responsible for my longest-ever shot on a hog. I took the boar on the right at a lasered 353 yards. Performance of the 140 grain C-T BST was absolutely perfect and put down the hog in short order. And the word “magnum” appears nowhere on the barrel or cartridge.

More “contenderized” pork for the pit:

Oh, yes, the 30-30 AI works quite well, too, thank you:

And that tiny 7mm BB…just how did it manage to kill such a nice buck when the load used was a 130 grain bullet at a pedestrian 2509 fps???

And for the kicker, I saved the bst for last. No, I don't think the .223 Rem is the best choice for everyone, but it CAN be made to work. When nuisance hogs were wreaking havoc in an area where a bullet exit would not have been a good thing, I put together a load with a bullet tough enough to make it to the vitals yet fragile enough to not exit on most presentations. I went on to take quite a few hogs in that area with the little .223, and each was killed cleanly and humanely with a shot through the lungs. Here's one of those unlucky hogs which died at the hands of an inadequate and non-magnum cartridge:

OK, OK...you caught me: I DID use a larger chambering than those above to take a whitetail buck (among many other creatures) a few years ago. So I confess and admit that I did use a .308 Winchester a time or 2... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang Bobby,

You like ridding the world of hogs.
Good on ya!

Please remember, that you have skills that most don't get to practice. Most 'hunters' haven't shot this many animals in their lifetime.

And shooting pigs, IMHO, you can use anything you want. Don't care if it's a slingshot.

The problems we have with them here in TX is well documented.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to porkers, BT is the resident whackmaster.

A .243 cal, 85 gr. partition in the sweet spot will turn the light out on most porkers I encounter!

After reading in these forums how a 22 cal. centerfire is inadequate for hogs and deer,
I recently had a 223 AI assembled from parts using an 8 twist shilen barrel. It will fling a 70 gr. triple shock mighty fine. I plan to employ it next week. I'll let ya'll know if it works.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll let ya'll know if it works.

Gdub,
Goof luck and looking forward to the report, but I have $100 bill that says it will work just fine.

Of course, that is as long as the nut squeezing the trigger is adjusted and tuned properly. Which I am sure it is.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lde:
Dang Bobby,

You like ridding the world of hogs.
Good on ya!

Please remember, that you have skills that most don't get to practice. Most 'hunters' haven't shot this many animals in their lifetime.

And shooting pigs, IMHO, you can use anything you want. Don't care if it's a slingshot.

The problems we have with them here in TX is well documented.

Bobby is using mostly 6.5 and 7mm. He did have one 223 in those photos but he is hardly under gunned.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
ravenr,

think I'd better throw my old .270 and -06 in the trash yet.....I aint killed enough deer in my life to know why a .338 needs to be in my hands

Dandy moose my fiend!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Here is what a deers heart looked like after encountering an 85 gr Barnes X out of a .243. One shot one deer.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote