THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Merry Christmas to me ... from me, (An Aoudad story)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merry Christmas to me ... from me, (An Aoudad story)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
The owners/Board of directors of Red Bluff Ranch (me and my wife) decided to give me an early Christmas present for such a great hunting season. So I got an Aoudad hunt.

Last Sunday, after my hunters left, it was my turn! Over the course of 3 days, hunting only early morning and late evening, I looked for a big Aoudad. Sunday, nothing. Monday, I hunted Whitetail with a friend on his ranch. Tuesday it rained all day, but it did not stop me from looking for sheep between showers.

On Wednesday morning, I spotted a group of 8 Aoudad in a canyon bottom. I slowly climbed down the canyon wall to a cliff overlooking the bottom where I had seen the Aoudad. I kept a small cedar between me and the sheep to avoid being seen. I glassed the sheep through the branches to avoid being spotted. Their eyesight is incredible and they are the most wary animal I have ever hunted, anywhere.

I glassed them for a while and saw a few ewes, a few lambs, one young ram and two older rams that were about 28". Very nice Aoudad, but not what I was looking for.

The wind swirled a bit and I guess they got my scent and started to run. One big Aoudad, that I had not seen, bolted out of the brush and joined the group as they ran. After seeing him for only a split second, I knew he was a good sheep. I folded out the bipod, sat down on a cactus ... re-adjusted my seating to a more comfortable spot, and waited for them to stop.

After running about 50 yards they paused to look around. The big Aoudad was in the back facing directly away. He turned to his right, giving me a decent quartering-away shot at about 150 yards.

I heard the bullet hit and saw him run into the brush. He ran slowly and took a different path from the others.

He was not the biggest one on the ranch, but he is an absolute toad of an Aoudad and I am very happy with him.

I had a hunter on Friday, shoot a 29 3/8" Aoudad with great mass carried all the way to the end of the horns. We were both very happy with him.

A 30" Aoudad is the "Holy Grail"of Aoudad. This one was 32".

I sent these pictures to a friend of mine. He commented that I have been hanging out with the Aoudad for so long I am starting to look like one.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Wendell:

Congratulations on a nice animal. I bet it was nice to be behind the gun for a change.

Merry Christmas to you.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, maybe Toad-dad is a better term! Nice massive horns on that critter.

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a resemblence! Big Grin Nice animal.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
There is a resemblence!

Yes, my "Chaps" are getting a bit long as well. Time to shave.

Unfortunately, I think I am starting to smell like an old Aoudad ram too ...

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You weren't kidding -- that is a big one!

Congratulations.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wendell, A BIG Congratulations.

What kind of rifle and bullet did you use?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice work Wendell a very nice Aoudad!
As always we want to hear about the rifle, load, bullet performance you know the nitty gritty.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
He is a Beauty!! Congrats

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Good on you..... cheers But look ike one? No way. No horns (showing anyway) and beard too short. banana

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Nice one! Eeker

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice ram. Congrats!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wowdad!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Wendell, that thing is a HOSS! Did you weigh him? Must be close to 300.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Aoudad Wendell. Have a Merry Christmas & we'll see you in Dallas for the convention. cheers

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Wendell! I have a 30 incher and yours makes him look small. 2" makes a hell of a lot of difference.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Details:

Gun: Remington Model 700 mountain Rifle, 30-06. Served me very well on only three continents so far, we will see how it performs on the remainder of the huntable continents.

Scope: Zeiss Conquest. 3x-9x.

Range: 150 yards +/-, shooting downhill at about 30 degree angle ... not enough to have to compensate for bullet rise.

Bullets: Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler Partition.

Bullet performance: Pretty darn good, he went about 30 yards after a quartering away shot. Don't recall that it exited.

Weight 260 lbs (on a real scale, not a guess).

The Aoudad that we shot on Friday weighed 282. I thought this guy looked sort of light, compared to some others I had seen.

SCI score: about 137. (Minimum SCI score 115; World Record 166 6/8) Horn length L:30" R:32"; 12.5" bases; 11", 9", 5" circumferences respectively.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
... 2" makes a hell of a lot of difference ...

Seriously. How do you expect me to leave this comment alone??? Big Grin

Hope to see you in Dallas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
... 2" makes a hell of a lot of difference ...

Seriously. How do you expect me to leave this comment alone??? Big Grin

Hope to see you in Dallas.

jumping Damn, I guess that shows why one shouldn't write a quick message without proof reading. Thanks for "Quoting" it so I can't edit it into oblivian! lol

Have a Merry Christmas and we're looking forward to seeing you in Dallas.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Super ram, Wendell!

I have always loved the look of Aoudad rams and yours is special.

As for the resemblance between you and your quarry, let me just say that you could be brothers.

But you have only yourself to blame for being in the same picture and calling attention to it.

Needless to say, you won't see me posing in any warthog trophy photos!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
Great Aoudad!! cheers That should make a beautiful mount. Congrats!!

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Wendell, well done and a lovely animal. Great story as well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a Very Nice Ram and taking the time off to do some hunting.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice Wendell. Congratulations!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That is one super ram. Merry Christmas!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote