New
Find
Notify
Tools

My biggest deer to date
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I scouted everyday after the morning hunts. I found a nice rub line and decided I'd hunt it. Just my luck It poured rain that day and evening, but I say through it and got drenched. I ended up seeing a decent number of deer. one little 5 point who was so curious as to what i was hunkered up under a holly bush that he came w/i mere yards to check me out. He never busted out, just walked away.
A good number of does in a group walked past my position at about 15 yards and gave me a slight glance but never much interest.
The next AM i sat the spot again and saw 2 lesser bucks that i was sure didnt make the big rubs I saw. While they were both legal bucks i let them walk hoping to catch sight of a bigger deer. Both found me oddly curious at ground level and one, a 6 point walked around me at 20 yards for half an hour while he ate, casualy checking me out from min to min.
No mr big that AM. When i got back to camp i took my Father to the spot and prety much demanded he sit the spot that evening.
To my delight he said later that it had been one of his best sits ever. That he had deer all around him from 20 yards to a doe and yearling that came to within spitting distance.
the next AM i decided to give it another shot. It was cooler and foggy so i miscalculated time a bit and was just sitting down in my popout chair when the first light started coming up.
I saw the buck at 35 yards and only for a literal second. Right away I knew he was a really good deer and i didnt need to count points. I mouth grunted as i raised up my little 16" barreled ruger to his spot. He stopped and stood w/ his head and shoulders behind one tree and his entire rear end behind another.
He was so close that I could see the definition of his rib cage and put the 2X leupolds wide duplex on the point.
Crack.
the mild recoil of the little 308 allowed me to watch his reaction. i jump and he was in the thicket of head high pines and briars that he was obviously attempting to get to before daybreak.
At once I was worried, not because of the shot but becasue I was shooting a Hornady AMAX bullet that is designed for rapid expansion and not penetration.
I never heard a crash but w/ the soft ground i really didnt expect to.
I got up and safed my rifle. i dont remember putting another round in the chamber but i did it after the shot somehow.
I walked the 35 paces to were the buck had stood and found good blood and hair. AH, HAIR= EXIT!!!!
i was very happy. the track was made difficult from the wet pine and thick vegetation but i found him.
I swear I had no idea he was as big as he was. Im glad I didnt know, it may have made me more anxious.
not a monster, but my best deer to date and what a hunt.
What a thrill to scout a deer, set-up on him and take him.
The shot went in about 5-6 rib and exploded as the AMAX is designed to do. large fragments exited and a few small ones scattered inside making quite a mess.
His inside spread was right at 18" and G2's were 9 7/8 long and 9 1/3 short. he was a real good looking deer. no cuts or scars on his face. nice clean deer.
so anyone who thinks little rifles are kids guns, look again.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!Nice Buck & Great Hunt! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good report, nice deer.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looking good, KS! great write-up too!thumb

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
That's a nice deer no matter where you're hunting.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A darn good buck, congrats! When you do it right, it's that much better.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Photo, too.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd say the 3 point rule is working eh, steve?
he was killed in zone 12, near Lisbon.
no fences, no feeders, no plot.
in deep and down low in his bedroom hallway.
my best buck AND the best hunt i have ever had.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really good story and really nice buck. Congratulations. thumb

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Your rifle has a very similar stock to my .300WM. I like the look.

~Ann

Posts: 19264 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice buck. Well done!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Well done.

And there's nothing wrong, or little, about the .308 Win. It's a bona fide high-powered rifle caliber that can reliably take game up to 450 lbs or so.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote