New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain lion comfirmed In Wis
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A group of hound hunter put up a lion between Spooner and Trego Wis. It is my understanding that they had a hard time getting the DNR to come out and take a look at it.

They finaly did and took pictures ect. Milw. Journal on line has a picture of it posted.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for them. I'm guessing that there's no season in Wis for lions., are they protected there?

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No season in Wis very protected

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And no one believed that we saw one in the Mikana swamp in 2004.

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have them here in Michigan as well.
If you're interested do a search on Michigan Cougar sightings. The fish cops still deny it.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
just got this in an email from my sister.supposedly, this cat was taken by a bowhunter, who it was circling, near calendonia,mn,not far from lacrosse,wi,on dec 18.The guy is 6' tall and 220 lbs.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
OOOPs,did a little searching,found this disclaimer

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/...ls/cougar/hoaxes.htm

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That cougar has been killed in every county in the lower 48 states!

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
No kidding. Wink If anyone's actually interested in the actual story, look up Jim Haciwitz, er, Jim Hackevitcz , um, aw shit, search for JJHack. Smiler

The guy holding the lion is Jim, but he's not the one who actually shot the animal. They were varmint hunting, and that bad boy came in. Note the bum front paw.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bump paw or not that kitty did not miss many meals! Eeker

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RM007:
Bump paw or not that kitty did not miss many meals! Eeker

I agree. I can think of only one way for a cat to attain that size and degree of fatness while being without most of one paw--if indeed that is the case.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Jim had three or four state agencies investigating him for poaching on that cat. California was one of them as they thought it "had" to be from there due to the size.

(It was legaly shot in the state of Washington)

In any event he shot that beast about 3 miles from my house.

John

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the guy is a friend of Randy Garrett of Garrett Cartridge fame. Yes, that cat is from Washington, and the guy is about 5'9 and 180 pounds, not 6' and 220.

But, that's still a darned BIG cat!!!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
just got this in an email from my sister.supposedly, this cat was taken by a bowhunter, who it was circling, near calendonia,mn,not far from lacrosse,wi,on dec 18.The guy is 6' tall and 220 lbs.

Nope, that cat was shot by JJ Hackowicz in the state of Wishington, and IIRC he used a 30-06. You should read his exploits about shooting that cat. It's an awesome story of him outsmarting the cat over many days and nights.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Attached is an interesting map; I believe this study was done at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

http://www.uwsp.edu/wildlife/c...ugar%20sightings.jpg

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote