THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Oklahoma Whitetail with Redfork Hunts

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oklahoma Whitetail with Redfork Hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Date: November 18 - 21, 2006
Species hunted: Whitetail
Outfitter: Redfork Hunts
Guide: Spencer aka Prdator
Rifle used: Hill Country Sheephunter .280 Remington shooting Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler partitions

I had an enjoyable hunt in western Oklahoma with Redfork Hunts last week. I found the country fun to hunt and it reminded me more of mule deer terrain than a whitetail haven. Open sagebrush hills with cottonwood and sumac choked coulees and plenty of sand plum thickets for good measure, gave these big country whitetails more cover than one would expect when surveying the country.

Opening morning I had 5 or 6 does and a couple of forkie bucks in the draw I was watching. About 8:00 I had some action as two 120 class 8 pointers squared off.

The afternoon was slow with only a spike sighted at a cattail infested pond. The next morning dawned at 23 degrees and I was treated to the sight of 150 turkeys coming off the roost 125 yards in front of me. For you turkey hunters... this place has them!

That morning also produced three buck sightings with one 8 pointer chasing a doe just 60 yards away... his frost-covered back glistening and grunting like a pig. Though one brow tine would measure close to 8 inches long, he still wasn't what I was looking for... maybe scoring 125.

Sunday afternoon, I found him. After hunting hard all day I ended up on a draw on the northwest side of the ranch. At 5:30 a nice 11 point came out. When he turned broadside and I saw all of those tines I set up and shot him off Spencer's Stoney Point sticks at 171 yards. He dropped to the shot with a high shoulder shot. A finsher and he was mine.

He was a great buck that will score in the mid 140's to 150's. My Dad was along on the hunt but he didn't score although he had the chance at a couple of bucks in the 120's. The drought has hurt this part of the state and we didn't see many of the more mature bucks. Don't know if it was timing of the rut or weather but the big buck action was slow however all in all this was a fun hunt in country I've never hunted before. Don't overlook Oklahoma... the state is producing some fine deer these days!

And if you are interested in this hunt shoot prdator aka Spenser a pm. He is sure to answer.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent buck Russell! Glad your hunt turned out well for you. That is some great looking whitetail country. Quite different from what we are used to. Nice pictures.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Great buck. Thanks for the pics and the story.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great Trophy Buck.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice! beer

Thanks for the report.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That's a heck of a buck. I bet when you saw all of the tine length on that big boy their wasn't much second guessing about whether he was a shooter.

Congrats!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
awesome buck---congrats.....chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt and a very nice buck. But I really appreciate those pictures. I grew up hunting places like that, in that kind of cover and in that kind of light. I've been stuck hunting in jungle for far too long, and your pictures really make me miss it.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
congratulations on a great hunt and beautiful buck! especially loved the pics, not what I would have thought Oklahoma would look like....

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Thats a great looking buck..nice long tinesWink Congrats beer

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
What kind of $$$ did that hunt cost,if you dont mind me asking?

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Truly nice buck! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Damn Russell, that's a great buck. You've had yourself quit a season!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Russell, Man!! What a buck! Congrats!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of $$$ did that hunt cost,if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for all the compliments, gentlemen. Do a search for Oklahoma Whitetail Hunts in the Classifieds. My hunt was listed there with details.

quote:
Damn Russell, that's a great buck. You've had yourself quit a season!

Scott,
I'd almost trade him for a black maned lion! Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautful buck!!! great looking country not what i pictured thanks.

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,

You did have a heck of a great year didn't you!

Congratulations on a fantastic deer....

I gotta get me one of those! Smiler

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Awesome deer and pictures Russell, patience and perseverance paid off, nice job.

And you wear that Blaze Orange well! Big Grin

You doing the annual Texas aoudad hunt this year?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a stunning okie buck,beautiful!!! thanks for sharing

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Thanks for the kind words! I still feal bad your father did not get a deer.

Guys if you want any info on these hunts just pm me or email at keeperskennels@aol.com

Thanks
S

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I will eat my shoe if that deer is less than 150. But I am going to guess 155 and it would not surprise me if it was higher.

You have got long tines and long main beams that are carrying a lot of the score, good mass too. Wow, very nice deer. thumb

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with Wendell on that. He beat me to it.
I am sure he is more than 150. I wouldn't be
surprised if he grossed closer to 160!

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote