Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Axis Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Just returned from 3 day hunt on Stower's Ranch near Hunt, Texas. Foreman is Jimmy Harrel, guide was his son-in-law Kenny Waites. Ranch is 14,000Ac cattle ranch with old-time game fencing around the twenty-mile perimeter. Hunted with long-time friend Tom Yones of Van Buren, AR. I was after Axis and perhaps hog, Tom was after hogs. The Stowers Ranch does not charge extra for hogs, and they request that you shoot all you see. I got a nice axis of about 32" long and 31" wide, and a couple of hogs. Tom also got two hogs. The Axis population seemed decreased from previous years. following are some pictures.

Whitetail does at feeder

Axis buck avoiding feeder

Rio Grande Turkeys

My axis. Travelled 350 yds or so after glancing chest shot from a Half-frontal-half-quartering position. But I believe he had detected me and I needed to shoot at that opportunity

David and Tom

Tom with buck

Nice axis in distance

We failed to get any pig picts, although there were lots of them--mostly feral-russian looking crosses--Dark with grizzled cheeks, big shoulders and small rear, but with a rounded body.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Looks like a good hunt, the bush is quite thick there! Nice buck, looks like he recently dropped velvet?

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice legs! Eeker Looks like you had a great hunt, thanks for sharing the photos. I have heard they are pretty tasty to.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your hunt. Are you planning to do anything with the pelt?
And yes, Axis is excellent eating.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SGraves155,
Nice axis, great pix. I hunt in Vanderpool which is close to Hunt. Hunt is a great area for hogs turkey and exotics. From my experience axis range farther that white tail. On a low fenced ranch they will range in and out. As thick as the juniper and oak mots get, they can be a real challenge to spot and stalk. Especially if you are dodging cactus and every thing else that sticks or bites. I have hunted a 3,000 acre low fence ranch in this area for the last five years. When I first started hunting it, it was not uncommon to see axis any time you went afield. The last two years I have not seen as many, and there has been little hunting pressure. Supposedly axis shed their horns around their birthday and I've seen stags in velvet different times of the year. They are aboslutely beautiful animals and are larger than our white-tails. You probably noticed that the axis meat is a much darker red than white-tail. However, if properly handled i think it is some of the best venison you can get. I know one thing. The tenders never make it past the pit at our lease.
GWB
PS. the hides tan up beautifully, and make great pillows , rugs or throws

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Ann, you are correct, he had a few dried strips of velvet still clinging to an antler.
bluefin, the pelt will be tanned. Will just do an antler mount for a cap rack. I have shoulder mounts of some axis already. They are hanging in a sporting goods store. GWB, I agree. Put the meat in the freezer this morning.

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Good looking Texas Hoss

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice going. Those exotics are a wonderful way to break the off-season doldrums. Plus, axis meat is amongst the best table fare you'll ever find.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axis are a beautiful deer indeed! They are the best eating I've had too. Great photos of the yeti too!

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote