Find
Notify
Tools

How big is this sheep?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.inwildlight.com/growth.asp

My husband's workout partner Jim is a Junior High School science teacher. He does not hunt, but he understands and knows the value of hunting in game management.

Jim travels the country in his off time with a camera and a backpack. He recently returned from Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado very excited over a bleached out ram skull with horns he photographed.

Of course he had to leave it undisturbed as this was in a National Park. I was wondering how this sheep compares to ones that have been killed by hunters?

Please click on the above link and the rams photo is on the bottom right of the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Thanks for any guesses on his size.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! That is quite a ram. I bet he would go over 185. He has dreid and cracked a lot. I am surprised no one has packed him off. Park or no park!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice ram. I've got no idea as to score, and I can't speak for Colorado, but in Montana it is illegal to pick up a sheep head anywhere unless it's naturally attached to your legally harvested and tagged animal. I think it would be okay to hold it and take measurements, but it would have to be left where you found it.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is(was) working toward having full curl. Definantly a nice ram, sort of hard to estimate lenght and girth but it is a worthy ram that anyone should be proud of.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
That's a big ram. Old and broomed and heavy. the guy has some wonderful photos.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice ram. I've got no idea as to score, and I can't speak for Colorado, but in Montana it is illegal to pick up a sheep head anywhere unless it's naturally attached to your legally harvested and tagged animal. I think it would be okay to hold it and take measurements, but it would have to be left where you found it.

Does this have something to do with preventing people from shooting rams, leaving them for a while then coming back to pick up the horns "they found while hiking"?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be my guess. Even legally taken sheep also have to be "plugged" by Dept of FW&P. Not sure what prevents you from claiming you shot it in a state or province where such things are not required, if such a place exists.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Wy. if you find one, you have to have it plugged the same as if you shot it. And yes I am sure an occasional law breaker slides through the cracks!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rest of the photos are awesome as well. Some of them are almost surreal. I enjoyed looking trough them.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Very nice ram and beautiful pictures!
I put the ram at 180 as I see it. Actual "size" is tough to tell from a single picture.If he were longer on the horn he would score even higher but he is beautiful.
If he were on private or National Forest or BLM land in Colorado it is legal to just "pick him up". Years ago in Colorado you had to take it to the DOW to get "plugged" but more recently when I've found a ram and picked it up I called and they said they don't plug "pickups" anymore.
Nice pictures!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote