Find
Notify
Tools

Some amateur wildlife photos......
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Here are a few amateur wildlife photos I've taken over the last few years. I'm not a professional by any means, but I hope you all enjoy them. All photos were taken by me, in either Texas or Louisiana. I also did all the editing myself. Let me know what you think.....

And this one wasn't taken BY me.....but it is a picture OF me. lol.....I did the editing though.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures. A couple of them I thought were very good. What kind of camera and lenses do you use?

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
All of those pictures were taken standard digital cameras you can buy at Wal-Mart with no after-market lenses. A lot of what makes the pictures look good is the program used to touch them up. The three camera models used were:

1. Samsung Pro815 w/ 18x optical zoom (8 mp)
2. Canon Powershot SX 120 IS w/ 12x optical zoom (10 mp)
3. An old Olympus w/ 10x optical zoom.....I can't remember the model (2.8 mp)

I used Google Picasa (which is free) for editing all these pictures.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed them, Wade. Some are very exceptional. The killdeer is my favorite.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent.

I wish I knew how to best use my camera to get shots as good as yours.

It takes a bit of work.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Hey, not bad for an amateur, Wade! Wink

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a DSLR with some good glass and I think you will be impressed as I think you have an eye for composition. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I like that red-deer(?Sambar)/axis-in-light. The fawn is exceptional, too. Great job.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
I like that red-deer(?Sambar)/axis-in-light. The fawn is exceptional, too. Great job.

Thanks.....it's actually a Barasingha and Axis together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look pretty dang good to me!!!! tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
In case any of you are interested.....here is a zoomed-out photo of the "outlaw hideout" pictured above.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, some nice shots. I particularly like flick #4 of the Doe. Looks like she has spotted you and is checking a Departure Route with her Right(from her perspective) Ear.

Any chance you might remember the direction she moved?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Yes indeed, some nice shots. I particularly like flick #4 of the Doe. Looks like she has spotted you and is checking a Departure Route with her Right(from her perspective) Ear.

Any chance you might remember the direction she moved?

No, I don't unfortunately. I took that picture in 2005. But if I had to guess.....I would say you are probably right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
A lot of what makes the pictures look good is the program used to touch them up. The three camera models used were:

Having the ability to "touch up" photos is one of the great benefits of digital photography. That said, it also can be overdone in regards to unreal color (not for creative stuff) and too much contrast.

Also, touching up photos that are obviously bad to begin with will do little to make them better. This is most notably the case with pix that are out of focus from the get-go such as one of your bison photos. Best to just delete them from your computer and start over. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:
A lot of what makes the pictures look good is the program used to touch them up. The three camera models used were:

Having the ability to "touch up" photos is one of the great benefits of digital photography. That said, it also can be overdone in regards to unreal color (not for creative stuff) and too much contrast.

Also, touching up photos that are obviously bad to begin with will do little to make them better. This is most notably the case with pix that are out of focus from the get-go such as one of your bison photos. Best to just delete them from your computer and start over. Wink

Which Bison picture are you referring to?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which Bison picture are you referring to?

Wade,

About the 6th one down from the top -- B&W head-on close-up.

BTW, I'm not meaning to be critical, per se. So any negatives I mention are meant as tips/suggestions to improve both your photography and post-processing.

I've been taking and selling photos for a living over the last 35 years with my byline on more than 100 magazine covers and over 3,000 other photo sales. Many of the tips are ones that well-established wildlife photgraphers gave me when I first started in this business.

And those same tips work for both professionals and amateurs. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Oh okay.....I see now. I thought you might have been talking about the first one. Thanks for the suggestions. In any case, these aren't true representations of the original photos because these are severely downsized, low-resolution versions copied here from my Facebook account.

I do appreciate the input very much though.....thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In any case, these aren't true representations of the original photos because these are severely downsized, low-resolution versions copied here from my Facebook account.

Wade,

Yup, I understand that processing often degrades an image somewhat. That said, I'd bet your family's ranch that bison pix is just as out-of-focus in the original.

What's that adage, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"? Big Grin

I was somewhat reluctant to post any images so as not to hijack YOUR thread, but...the elk image below is only 64K. Not only that, but it is processed from a much larger scan from an original 35mm slide because most of my 85,000 photos are in that format. I have dozens of other scanned digital files of various critters just like it.

The moral: if you start with a good image, even the smaller, very compressed ones will look good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade,

Your fawn pic is good. Here it is with a bit different, more natural approach to the post processing. I removed some of the color saturation and contrast, which it appears you added and also made the too-bright areas in the lower part a bit darker to match the overall brightness of the rest of the photo.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Thanks for the input. Your elk pic is great. I also like the rocks in your edit of my fawn pic, but honestly I think it is a little "dull" looking regarding the colors. I remember vividly the day I took that picture. It was extremely bright during the middle of the day. Maybe something in between my original post and your edit would be more appropriate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but honestly I think it is a little "dull" looking regarding the colors. I remember vividly the day I took that picture. It was extremely bright during the middle of the day. Maybe something in between my original post and your edit would be more appropriate.

Well, the proof of what the true colors are will be in the original, which I don't have access to Wink

The reason I know you bumped up the colors --especially red -- was because of the purple hue that became evident in the log sticking up in the air and also the too red hide of the fawn itself. I doubt either looked that way, even on a bright day. If anything, I might darken the midtones a bit more, but leave the rest as is.

A couple of the others have similar unnatural looks with too much color saturation and contrast. I like natural more than surreal.

Anyway, the final product should be the way YOU want it to be for your purposes.