THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Who says lions don't kill healthy deer?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says lions don't kill healthy deer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found this lion kill Sunday. He was somewhat covered up. Kill looked to be about 4-6 weeks old. Still had some skin on a lower leg, bits of red meat on the spine/pelvis.
Dogs opened up when they hit the lion scrape at the kill site.
Would have been a nice buck to take home, huh?

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm.

Musta been a trophy huntin' cat...

Seriously, I always figured that a predator took what he could find... Like most meat hunters do. That buck was likely in the wrong place at the wrong time, and depending on your rut time, could well be deconditioned due to stress.

Still was a dandy buck...

Posts: 10795 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Musta been a trophy huntin' cat...

That's what I was thinkin' too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no one who understands the predatory habits/practices of a mountain lion would say mtn. lions only take unhealthy prey. they take what ever they think they can bring down!

however, that buck might have had any number of injuries/health issues, thus making him easier prey.

i suspect both the mtn. lion and the deer were healthy. the deer just lost!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who says lions don't kill healthy deer?

Idiots? Animal rights wackos? The same people who contend that wolves eat only field mice? But I repeat myself....

In a video I saw titled "Cougar Killer" Jay Bruce state that lions kill a lot of mature bucks during the rut. He even had a similar situation in the video in which his dogs uncovered a trophy buck that had been killed by a lion.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
john113wyo

Thanks for the pics, to bad that kill wasen't freshier and had a full belly, he wouldn't have gone far before your dogs treed him.

I've been chasing a huge Tom for four or five years now and I have it on film where he killed a bull elk, then dragged it 150 yards under a fence and then over some blowdown before starting to eat.

Are you getting much snow where your at?

Best of Luck

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Agreed, some of the best antlers I have laying around are from kills we've found.

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
A bunch of mature buck mulies get killed by lions around my part of the US of A. I and several friends find them regularly. We have discussed it and and came to the conclusion that they single them selves out, they are more often alone than not. It's makes for less eyes watching for danger, easy pickings for a mature cat.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 773 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
They--all predators--kill the unlucky. Simple as that,not the weak or the sick, just the unlucky ones.... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This buck may have been tired from rutting, making him an easy target. The owner of the ranch that I hunt in Wyoming swears this happens all the time. Like someone said, wrong place at the wrong time.

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a picture of a 5x5 bull elk one killed and started to bury. If I can find it I will post it.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neazor91:
This buck may have been tired from rutting, making him an easy target.

Agreed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neazor91:
This buck may have been tired from rutting, making him an easy target. The owner of the ranch that I hunt in Wyoming swears this happens all the time. Like someone said, wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't think "tired" for any reason has any effect on the cat, do only tired ships get torpedoed by submarines?

Cats are be definition ambush killers, you get into the cat's kill radius and you are it's dinner PERIOD.

"Unlucky" us as good a definition as any.

Frankly I've seen enough african wildlife films where a predator has specifically chosen to NOT take an obviously injured or unhealthy prey animal... the "Uhh... I think that one is spoiled" look painfully obvious....

Or my Bird fed domestic cat seeing robins flopping around drunk in my garden after eating the slugs that crawled into bols of peer placed in the garden to trap them....

the cat looking at them and just watching , again with the "I think there's somethin' wrong with that one" look on....

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with my ranchers explanation. The cats are on his ranch and he sees the results of interactions with deer first hand. I doubt if he watches many african wildlife films for explanations as to what's happening on his ranch.

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMACK!!!!:
A bunch of mature buck mulies get killed by lions around my part of the US of A. I and several friends find them regularly. We have discussed it and and came to the conclusion that they single them selves out, they are more often alone than not. It's makes for less eyes watching for danger, easy pickings for a mature cat.

That's also what I have heard and read in the past.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found s few mature Whitetails killed by Bobcat.A big cat around here might go 40Lbs.Don`t take much imagination to figure what a 100lb. plus cat can kill!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big cats like big prey. A study just done in Canada showed that one Lion that weighed around 180 lbs. killed Moose and Feral Horses exclusively. Deer were too small for him.

If several deer are in range, a big cat will pick the largest.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Who is to say the deer was healthy or even alive when the lion started munching on it?

Not to disagree with you, but,there are lots of possibilities when we speculate back 4-6 weeks on an activity we did not observe

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

this is the only Mt. lion i have ever killed.
i found this cat the day before laying next to a 4-5 yr old cow elk that the cat had just killed.
no tore up ground,no signs of a fight or struggle.
ran the cat off the elk and came back the next morning with my "lion dog" and a license.
the amazing part of all this was the cat was aged at 12.5 yrs old,about 160 Lbs and had 2 broken off at the
gum line,canines and 4 haired up full term kittens in her belly,i found when i went in for
the tenderloins.
when a extremely pregnant grandma of a lion can
get the job done....

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's quite a Mt. lion. Congrats.

Mike

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
no one who understands the predatory habits/practices of a mountain lion would say mtn. lions only take unhealthy prey. they take what ever they think they can bring down!

however, that buck might have had any number of injuries/health issues, thus making him easier prey.

i suspect both the mtn. lion and the deer were healthy. the deer just lost!

I have read many wildlife "expert" who say that lions ONLY hunt the old and wounded. Just like cougars don't attack people and wolfs are just fluffy nice dogs.

Of course, most of those of us who live around cougars know a little different.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ravenr,

Nice cat. And terrific looking lion dog!

5 with one shot. I'll never beat that....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks john
hadn't really thought of the 5 with one shot angle.
the heeler is laying at my feet now,but at 12 yrs old he's probably chased his last lion.
he still is a pretty good early warning system for bears in camp thou, if you don't have to walk him too far into camp.
where in wyoming are you?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote