New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I want that one!"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took my wife down to the ranch this weekend for a little R&R and to do a little hunting. We weren't planning on shooting a deer but the bucks were moving. We came across a nice typical ten point with a kicker that I had figured she might want to shoot. He was an old buck that was past his prime but was still a decent deer. Anyhow she decided to let him go.

A little later while driving around I spotted a buck standing in the brush watching us. The minute she spotted him she said "I want that one." It was getting close to dark and the brush in that area is bad enough looking for a deer in the daytime much less in the dark. So I told her we would come back in the morning and see if he would come to a stand located in the area.

The next morning we got a late start. After all we can't go hunting without our make-up on can we? We crawled up in the stand and were getting situated when the buck we had seen the previous afternoon stepped out of the brush. He began feeding towards us. I handed her my Blaser R93 7mm mag and asked her if she felt comfortable with the distance which was about 125 yards. She said yes so I told her to take the shot.

At the shot the deer almost dropped but regained his footing and took off into the brush. I was nervous hoping it was a killing shot. We saw a bush shake and then two more. That's always a good sign. Then everything was quiet. About 20 seconds later the last bush shook again.

We waited 30 minutes and she stayed in the stand while I went to look. I started in where the deer had but couldn't find a blood trail. The brush was so thick I couldn't see more than a few feet ahead. Thank God I had worn my snake boots. After crawling through the brush for about twenty minutes I finally stumbled over him. What a relief! He is a typical nine pointer with four kickers. I had let him go last year even though he was a typical eight pointer due to him having about a six inch drop tine. I rough scored him at 155 and he field dressed 204 pounds.

Here is a picture of the happy hunter with her buck.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice job (on her nails)! Very nice deer, too. Wink Congrats to her, and to you!

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
How did you get away with rifle hunting during the bow season?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did you get away with rifle hunting during the bow season?

It's called managed lands or MLD permits. On managed lands the rifle season runs from September 29 to February 29. This has been in effect for about eight or ten years.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Oh Okay, I didn't see anything in the story mentioning an MLD permit so I was curious

Don't take offense, nice buck

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
wonderful buck. Great pict. thanks.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you -- great buck!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Great deer. Congratulations, it feels good to see your hard work and discipline of letting them walk and get some age on them pay off. just curious how old was he?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to yourself and the misses. Both of you did very well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good story and a nice buck.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well of course you have to have make up, you are taking pictures.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great story.

nice little buck.

congratulations to your wife!

beer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice "little" 155 class management buck! Congrats to the better half!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote